Sign in with
Your question

GTX680 SLI + BF3

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
October 14, 2012 5:48:11 PM

Hi all.

I have a slight problem which I hope somebody can help me with.

This is my rig

3770k @ stock settings
Asus maximus v formula with latest bios
EVGA GTX680 SLI 2GB
16gb ddr3 memory
corsair ax1200i psu
1 1920x1080 120hz Monitor
bf3 set to ultra preset VSYNC OFF#
306.97 Nvidia drivers

Now I have been playing battlefield 3 and I use evga precision to monitor what my graphics cards are doing when Im playing multiplayer. Now some maps play perfectly at 100+ fps constantly and then others for example gulf of oman or back to karkand or caspian border run between 100fps and then will drop to 50-70fps.. I notice my gpu usage is around 50-60% per card when playing?? But on maps where it runs ok it is around 80-99%.. What is going on???

I bought 2 cards so I could play at 100fps + and it should if the gpu would be fully utilized...
I set it to pci express 3 in the bios and also tried on default no change... But some games for example metro 2033 run sweet and utilize 99% of both gpu's all the time.
I checked cpu usage and that is always running at 50-75% when on battlefield so I dont beleive there is a bottleneck even though it is at stock...

Can anyone help..

Cheers

Pinhead

More about : gtx680 sli bf3

a b U Graphics card
October 14, 2012 6:07:15 PM

overclock your cpu some like 4Ghz and then report back
a b U Graphics card
October 14, 2012 6:12:46 PM

gamerkila57 said:
overclock your cpu some like 4Ghz and then report back

This, a 3770k at stock settings isn't quite enough to maintain the power your graphics cards need in BF3 multiplayer.
Related resources
October 14, 2012 6:16:33 PM

When I am running bf3 the cpu and its threads are not been used to 100%?? So how could it bottleneck it?
a b U Graphics card
October 14, 2012 6:16:51 PM

azathoth said:
This, a 3770k at stock settings isn't quite enough to maintain the power your graphics cards need in BF3 multiplayer.

nope. people i guess will never get it in their head that bf3 MP has cpu bound parts to it. you need to overclock. thats why you bought a k version.
October 14, 2012 6:24:36 PM

It the cpu is not been fully utilized how can it be bottlenecking??
a b U Graphics card
October 14, 2012 6:26:38 PM

Buy a better cooler and overclock to 4.5ghz. Reinstall the lastest drivers, make sure SLI is enabled. Try using EVGA Precision, set the power target to maxium for each card.

My setup gets me 100+fps most of the time drops to 85 are common in complex scenes.
October 14, 2012 6:27:36 PM

if all cores where at 100% then yes I would overclock but when it is like that I dont beleive it is a bottleneck... I think it could be driver or something else related to be honest.. I can overclock but dont see the need to put stress on the cpu until I need to for more cpu intensive games and applications.. If the cpu is only working all cores and threads at 50% please explain why it would bottle neck 2 gtx680's...
a b U Graphics card
October 14, 2012 6:34:57 PM

pinhead12345 said:
if all cores where at 100% then yes I would overclock but when it is like that I dont beleive it is a bottleneck... I think it could be driver or something else related to be honest.. I can overclock but dont see the need to put stress on the cpu until I need to for more cpu intensive games and applications.. If the cpu is only working all cores and threads at 50% please explain why it would bottle neck 2 gtx680's...

You are right nothing can bottleneck an i7 3770k, during gaming your 680 GPUs should be running 90%+ usage in BF3. Your CPU usage does not have to be 100% usage duing game play. It would be a problem if your cards were not hitting 90+ usage but your CPU @ 100% load that would mean you bottleneck CPU side.
a b U Graphics card
October 14, 2012 6:37:16 PM

What settings settings are you running in BF3? Should be set to Ultra right, you resolution in game should be set to 1920x1080 120Hz or 110hz whatever the refresh rate is. Vsync! off
a b U Graphics card
October 14, 2012 6:37:53 PM

pinhead12345 said:

bf3 can use more then 4 threads but that doesnt mean that it can max out 100 percent on a 8 threaded cpu. you said it yourself, when you see fps dips you have gpu usage in the 60%. why? because your cpu isnt keeping up at those times. you have nothing to loose by overclocking so why arent you doing it? it will take 5 minutes if that.
October 14, 2012 6:50:37 PM

I'm running the ultra preset... vsync off and 1920x1080 119hz....

I will only overclock as the last resort... Overclocking comes with its risk and shortens the life of a CPU. I have also monitored the cpu usage during gameplay and the cpu never struggles... Also when the fps dips its only the gpu which dip (eg bad driver ect) and it only seems to happen on the older maps.. I could lower my settings but the fps will still drop... If the cpu was struggling then it would do it on all maps especially 64 mp maps but it does not... it is just random?

October 14, 2012 6:55:54 PM

cbrunnem said:
bf3 can use more then 4 threads but that doesnt mean that it can max out 100 percent on a 8 threaded cpu. you said it yourself, when you see fps dips you have gpu usage in the 60%. why? because your cpu isnt keeping up at those times. you have nothing to loose by overclocking so why arent you doing it? it will take 5 minutes if that.

Where do you base this information from? I have been monitor cpu... A bottle neck is when it is maxed out and cannot provide any more power / speed thus slowing other components down as the cpu could not keep up.. If the application your running is only using half the power and threads of the cpu how can it bottleneck it? And if it was a bottleneck then I should not be able to play 64mp without these issues happening all the time.

I also will add that I just overclocked the cpu to 4.5ghz to see if it would cure the problem and it has not so I have reverted back to stock......

It is like saying you have an engine that can rev to 10,000rpm but you would not drive it around constantly at 10,000rpm would you... Yes I can overclock the cpu but If i dont need to then why should I have to.
a c 216 U Graphics card
October 14, 2012 8:58:32 PM

pinhead12345 said:
Where do you base this information from? I have been monitor cpu... A bottle neck is when it is maxed out and cannot provide any more power / speed thus slowing other components down as the cpu could not keep up.. If the application your running is only using half the power and threads of the cpu how can it bottleneck it? And if it was a bottleneck then I should not be able to play 64mp without these issues happening all the time.

I also will add that I just overclocked the cpu to 4.5ghz to see if it would cure the problem and it has not so I have reverted back to stock......

It is like saying you have an engine that can rev to 10,000rpm but you would not drive it around constantly at 10,000rpm would you... Yes I can overclock the cpu but If i dont need to then why should I have to.

It only takes 1 thread to be bottlenecked for it to slow down FPS. A thread cannot be split into multiple threads by the CPU, only the application can, and some tasks are hard to split up into parts. This is very common, and I defy you to find a single application that can get a CPU to 100%, as it's pretty much impossible to have all your threads need exactly the same power.

Take a look at this:

http://www.hardocp.com/article/2011/11/22/battlefield_3...
October 14, 2012 9:18:35 PM

ok fair enough... but I overclocked it and no boost in performance?
a c 216 U Graphics card
October 14, 2012 9:19:48 PM

How much did you increase the clock, and did you disable turbo first? You'd have to overclock a fair bit to make up for the loss of Turbo.
October 15, 2012 2:41:14 PM

yes it was set for 4.6ghz... and as I say no improvement... It is like the cards are just not been utilized properly
October 15, 2012 2:50:43 PM

Guys honestly I don't think its the CPU bottlenecking the GPUs...
I, myself have 2 GTX 580s and a i7 960 @ 3,8 ghz and I get about the same.
This is caused by the graphics cards running out or VRAM, not any bottlenecking whatsoever, battlefield requiers alot of VRAM at ultra settings and high resolution
and since no matter if you're using 1 or 2 or 3 GTX 680s, your VRAM will always be the same, this is the only thing that I don't like about SLI, the card performs upto a 100% better in SLI but VRAM will stay the same no matter how many cards you have in SLI. When I'm playing BF3 @ ultra @ 1080p I'm using my FULL 1,5GB of VRAM constantly, and if the game needs more vram than your cards have you get framedrops.

Simple as that, nothing to do with bottlenecking and you could have 2 8core Xeons running it wouldnt do a damn thing about this.
a b U Graphics card
October 15, 2012 5:33:16 PM

VeilStar said:
Guys honestly I don't think its the CPU bottlenecking the GPUs...
I, myself have 2 GTX 580s and a i7 960 @ 3,8 ghz and I get about the same.
This is caused by the graphics cards running out or VRAM, not any bottlenecking whatsoever, battlefield requiers alot of VRAM at ultra settings and high resolution
and since no matter if you're using 1 or 2 or 3 GTX 680s, your VRAM will always be the same, this is the only thing that I don't like about SLI, the card performs upto a 100% better in SLI but VRAM will stay the same no matter how many cards you have in SLI. When I'm playing BF3 @ ultra @ 1080p I'm using my FULL 1,5GB of VRAM constantly, and if the game needs more vram than your cards have you get framedrops.

Simple as that, nothing to do with bottlenecking and you could have 2 8core Xeons running it wouldnt do a damn thing about this.

I have 1gb cards and I do not run out of vram on ultra. He has 2gb cards so he should be fine. I'm at 1080p as well.
October 16, 2012 1:10:30 PM

cbrunnem said:
I have 1gb cards and I do not run out of vram on ultra. He has 2gb cards so he should be fine. I'm at 1080p as well.

1080p @ ultra and 1GB of vram would give you like 40fps lmao.

Anyway, I suppose you check how much you're using next time you're in game, cause I'm using my full 1,5 @ ultra @ 1080p.
You're probably using 1GB constantly, which makes it stable because your fps gets a bit limited by your vram.
But if you have 2GB, and BF3 demands like 1,6 at some places and 2,1 at others due to more textures being displayed or what so ever, you could get sudden framedrops from 100 to 60 because it asks that 0,1 GB of vram that you dont have.

If you have enough VRAM your gpus will be running 90 - 100% constantly, but once it has a lack of VRAM it can drop quite dramatically and your gpus start working at like 30 - 75% because it wont give any more frames anyway due to the lack of vram.

Sometimes its better to have a little less than the game takes so your frames are stable, but if you sometimes have more than the game asks and sometimes less, you get this.

But yeah, that is what I suppose is happening out of my own experience.
And no matter what you say I honestly think that that "CPU Bottlenecking Stuff" is complete nonsense.
Now I'm not saying my explenation is right tho, But its already ALOT more likely than a cpu bottleneck.

Only one way to find out i guess, monitoring everything while playing.
a b U Graphics card
October 16, 2012 1:35:08 PM

VeilStar said:
1080p @ ultra and 1GB of vram would give you like 40fps lmao.

Anyway, I suppose you check how much you're using next time you're in game, cause I'm using my full 1,5 @ ultra @ 1080p.
You're probably using 1GB constantly, which makes it stable because your fps gets a bit limited by your vram.
But if you have 2GB, and BF3 demands like 1,6 at some places and 2,1 at others due to more textures being displayed or what so ever, you could get sudden framedrops from 100 to 60 because it asks that 0,1 GB of vram that you dont have.

If you have enough VRAM your gpus will be running 90 - 100% constantly, but once it has a lack of VRAM it can drop quite dramatically and your gpus start working at like 30 - 75% because it wont give any more frames anyway due to the lack of vram.

Sometimes its better to have a little less than the game takes so your frames are stable, but if you sometimes have more than the game asks and sometimes less, you get this.

But yeah, that is what I suppose is happening out of my own experience.
And no matter what you say I honestly think that that "CPU Bottlenecking Stuff" is complete nonsense.
Now I'm not saying my explenation is right tho, But its already ALOT more likely than a cpu bottleneck.

Only one way to find out i guess, monitoring everything while playing.

I can show you a video of my msi afterburner never maxing out the vram if you'd like.
October 16, 2012 1:42:23 PM

How much more you want?Some people are never satisfied.LOL
October 16, 2012 1:59:12 PM

cbrunnem said:
I can show you a video of my msi afterburner never maxing out the vram if you'd like.

No need to honestly, I'm not here to argue I'm trying to understand what pinhead12345 his problem is and solve it if possible,
I know my facts and as I said, I'm not here to argue, but if you really want to prove something go ahead and I guess a screenshot would be enough and also your in game settings, cause BF3 uses alot more than 1 GB on ultra @ 1080p.

And ehm, could you do me a favor and reply a little more than a sentence a post?
You're not really coming up with any theories or solutions honestly, you're just replying to stuff that don't help anything for pinhead12345.

Some of your words:

"nope. people i guess will never get it in their head that bf3 MP has cpu bound parts to it. you need to overclock. thats why you bought a k version."

"hey if you dont want to believe us go elsewhere. why ask for advice when you will not take it?"

Not really helpful in any way, is it?
So please, try to be a bit helpful and less rude, thanks.
a b U Graphics card
October 16, 2012 2:14:07 PM

I'm just going to weigh in with this for a moment. If we are explicitly saying the problem is during multiplayer then the stutters could be cause by your internet or the server. If your GPU has to wait for a microsecond for the information from the server then it could cause your GPU usage to drop.
October 22, 2012 11:47:19 PM

Pinhead....... I have the same problem, I have 2 EVGA GTX 680's SC sigs running in sli, my cpu (i7 2600) is running at 4.4Ghz, I have a framerate target of 120 fps set in EVGA precision and in BF3 Gulf of Oman most of the time it will run at 118-120 fps but there are a few parts of the map where my fps drop to 75ish for no reason, its not memory, I never use more than 1.5 gig of vram even when maxed out in full action scenes, its not cpu bottlenecked, im overclocked to 4.4 Ghz and no threads are EVER hitting anything near 100% but for some reason the sli bar just wont max out in certain places Ive even tried putting the settings to medium which is ridiculous for a gtx 680 sli setup and still sometimes my fps just hover around 70-80 fps but it is always in exactly the same places in the same maps. I think at the end of the day its just a little bit of poor optimization of the game here and there plus a bit of poor coding in the drivers which could improve in the future, anyway I'm in the same boat so at least you know your cards are working as they should.
October 23, 2012 4:27:45 PM

Thanks for your replies everyone. I have changed a few things in my system since I last posted.. I have permently overclocked the 3770k to 4.5ghz and it is stable... I have changed the mobo to a g1 sniper 3 and still use gtx680 in sli... and guess what... exactly the same problem... The CPU was never a bottle neck contary to what some members where saying so It is defo a driver/optamization issue... Oh well.

Cheers again
September 9, 2013 3:07:17 PM

pinhead12345 said:
Thanks for your replies everyone. I have changed a few things in my system since I last posted.. I have permently overclocked the 3770k to 4.5ghz and it is stable... I have changed the mobo to a g1 sniper 3 and still use gtx680 in sli... and guess what... exactly the same problem... The CPU was never a bottle neck contary to what some members where saying so It is defo a driver/optamization issue... Oh well.

Cheers again

Did you fix this issue? I have the exact same problem.. :-(
!