Sign in with
Your question

Monitor gets no signal but not a bad gpu

Last response: in Systems
December 5, 2012 3:28:28 AM

Just built a new system and I'm having quite a mysterious issue with getting a video signal. All of the components are getting power and seem to be working as they should but when I boot the system my monitor gets no signal. Thought maybe the gpu was bad so I plugged in a good gpu and still got no signal. So I tried using a different monitor and dvi cable and still got nothing. So I've ruled out the it's a dead gpu or cable or monitor so my next thought would be that maybe the mobo is a dud. This is the first time I've tried to boot it so I don't have an OS on it yet and nothing has been done with it. Everything is fresh out of the box. I'm also getting no beeps from my troubleshooting speaker so I really don't know where to turn next. Any thoughts?

AMD phenom II x4 3.4 ghz black edition

MSI 970A-G46 (AMD) motherboard

ocz 750watt psu

8gb ram

2TB HDD

More about : monitor signal bad gpu

December 5, 2012 4:01:48 PM

When I built my first desktop I forgot to plug the CPU power cable in did you do that. I had that same problem.
m
l
December 6, 2012 10:11:14 PM

lol nice but no. I tested every part in a working system, tried resetting cmos and yanking the battery but still got nothing. Guess it's just a DOA board.
m
l
a b B Homebuilt system
a b C Monitor
December 6, 2012 10:25:19 PM

I wouldn't be so quick to jump to that conclusion. We have a troubleshooting checklist designed to troubleshoot this exact type of problem. There's a link to the checklist in my signature.
m
l
!