Sign in with
Your question
Solved

670 GTX with a PhysX card

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
a b U Graphics card
October 14, 2012 7:11:59 PM

I seen some people using a lower end nvidia gpu with a higher end on and the lower end one runs the physX, is there any restriction on what cards are used and how is it configured? My friend has a asus 670 gtx and a 450 gts. would he b able to run both? and is the differnece much from the 670 not doing the physX?

More about : 670 gtx physx card

a b U Graphics card
October 15, 2012 1:32:20 AM

he should be able to run both, but it wont be much of an improvement, the gtx 670 is beastly on its own, you wont see much of a difference.
m
l
a b U Graphics card
October 15, 2012 1:33:39 AM

alright well he has it just sitting here lol how do u set it up?
m
l
Related resources
October 15, 2012 1:47:01 AM

I recently got a 670 to run borderlands with physx on high, switched from a 6950. The 6950 would drop to like 5 fps in large fights with physx on, while the 670 is able to maintain decent frames in large fights it does struggle in those really big fights in certain areas, dipping down to 30 or so FPS. My processor is a 3570k.

Even though the 670 is a beast of a card and can at least playably run the game with physx on, it wont maintain 60 fps. In a way one could argue borderlands might be one of the hardest game to "max" out and maintain 60+ fps in large fights.
m
l

Best solution

a b U Graphics card
October 15, 2012 1:50:21 AM
a c 186 U Graphics card
October 15, 2012 2:12:46 AM

If you want to get something GTS 450 has more CUDA cores so it is good for PhysX card. Also a gtx460 256bit will provide for many years in dedicated physx.
m
l
October 15, 2012 2:15:22 AM

Geotek, ATI/AMD cards do not support physx. I am pretty sure (but not 100%) that in those situations it's your CPU that is actually doing the Physx processing. That is probably why it was so bad.

Yes, he can run both, just go to the physx control panel (or NVIDIA control panel, whichever it is) and you should be able to tell it to use the second card for Physx acceleration.
m
l
a c 643 U Graphics card
October 15, 2012 2:18:01 AM

Just plug the 450 into any open PCIe slot. It doesn't even need to be a full x8 or x16 slot, a x4 or even x1 will work fine. Do not use a SLI bridge, just go into the Nvidia Control Panel to the PhysX Configuration tab and select the 450 for PhysX. Be sure to test FPS in Borderlands 2 with the 450 enabled and with it disabled for PhysX to be sure it's giving a boost. If things work well, don't be surprised if you get up to 25% better performance.
m
l
a b U Graphics card
October 15, 2012 2:23:52 AM

lazyboy947 said:
I seen some people using a lower end nvidia gpu with a higher end on and the lower end one runs the physX, is there any restriction on what cards are used and how is it configured? My friend has a asus 670 gtx and a 450 gts. would he b able to run both? and is the differnece much from the 670 not doing the physX?

I was using a GTX 260 for Physx with a GTX 670, the performance gain was helpful for some spots in Borderlands where it would drop 40FPS, but other than that 95% of the time it stays at 80-120FPS.

I don't think the extra heat\energy is worth it unless your doing SLI. You're unlikely to notice a difference with a powerful card such as a GTX 670, if you had a weak card it might be helpful, so I don't think it's a good idea.
m
l
a c 186 U Graphics card
October 15, 2012 2:25:31 AM

17seconds said:
Just plug the 450 into any open PCIe slot. It doesn't even need to be a full x8 or x16 slot, a x4 or even x1 will work fine. Do not use a SLI bridge, just go into the Nvidia Control Panel to the PhysX Configuration tab and select the 450 for PhysX. Be sure to test FPS in Borderlands 2 with the 450 enabled and with it disabled for PhysX to be sure it's giving a boost. If things work well, don't be surprised if you get up to 25% better performance.
+1 my cousin uses a 460 for Physx with his 680 i was shocked by the improvement :lol:  :pt1cable: 
m
l
a c 170 U Graphics card
October 15, 2012 2:30:23 AM

PHYSX as an adapter card:

If the addon card for PhysX is significantly less powerful than the main card, you run a strong risk of bottlenecking the game so that it runs SLOWER than if you had the main card running the PhysX and game by itself.

This will VARY BY THE GAME.

So basically you'll have to benchmark things (start at a roughly repeatable save game) or use a built-in benchmark:

a) Main Card by itself (running game and PhysX)
b) Main Card + second card (Main card runs game only, second card handles PhysX)

Some tests showed that a GTX580 needed a GTX560Ti to prevent bottlenecking but again, it varies significantly by the game.

Bottlenecking?
If the PhysX card takes too long to process the physics elements the main card is left waiting, therefore the MORE PHYSX elements there are, the more likely the addon card is to be a bottleneck. So it's possible with the right combo of hardware that a LOW PHYSX setup would run better with an addon card, while the HIGH PHYSX setup would run better on the main card alone.
m
l
a c 186 U Graphics card
October 15, 2012 2:34:40 AM

geotek said:
I recently got a 670 to run borderlands with physx on high, switched from a 6950. The 6950 would drop to like 5 fps in large fights with physx on, while the 670 is able to maintain decent frames in large fights it does struggle in those really big fights in certain areas, dipping down to 30 or so FPS. My processor is a 3570k.

Even though the 670 is a beast of a card and can at least playably run the game with physx on, it wont maintain 60 fps. In a way one could argue borderlands might be one of the hardest game to "max" out and maintain 60+ fps in large fights.
:ouch:  which 670 dipped like that?Also i think Metro is the hardest game to max well it is for me out the games i have but i only have seven different games lol
m
l
a b U Graphics card
October 15, 2012 2:55:37 AM

Best answer selected by Lazyboy947.
m
l
!