No monitor signal yet have replaced nearly everything

Danzar

Honorable
Dec 5, 2012
Hi folks

I'm stumped. I've had a constant no signal issue with any LCD connected to my machine and so far, I've replaced the board, the RAM, the PSU and every cord, but no signal to any monitor I plug in. I've tried a straight VGA connection into the new board (isolating the GPU and keeping it connected) and no difference.

Putting the CPU aside, I'm wondering whether I've simply put in some incompatible parts. Could I please ask your perspective on the above and whether the following should all fit?

CPU (original) – AMD Phenom II x4 955BE 3200 (I haven't replaced it yet but have cleaned and reapplied thermal paste)
Mobo (new) – Asus M5A78L-M LX Plus – didn't want to spend too much pending future upgrade
RAM (new) – G.Skill Ripjaws X 8GB kit 12800 DDR3 1600
PSU (new) – Antec 550 black
GPU (original) – nVidia GTX 275
HDD – WD 640GB
Screen – LG 24"

Now, my board doesn't come up on the G.Skill page but I'm not sure whether these are the ONLY compatible boards or the recommended boards http://www.gskill.com/products.php?index=426

I replaced all cords (power, monitor and SATA) but no change. Note that I am usually running a HDMI to DVI from monitor to GPU.

When I replaced the mobo and ram, on the first start I got the normal POST beep, then after a short time, three short fast beeps. Every start after that was fine but no signal.

I then tried a start without the GPU with screen plugged into the board (VGA) and went through POST ok as well.

When I replaced the PSU I got my normal POST beep then after a short while, two short fast beeps. This happens each time I start.

If I pull both sticks out, I get a constant three long beeps repeating, immediately on start before POST.

So, it seems it's not the GPU given the VGA board test. The CPU could be the problem but everything points to something else.

I would LOVE your views :)....please

Thank you

Dan

Just so I can confirm. You have tried removing the GPU and plugging directly into the motherboard video?

Also, with that setup you can try installing one stick of memory in to the 1st DIMM slot, if that doesn't work swap to the other stick. Usually both DIMMS do not go bad at the same time so swapping could tell if that is the case. Other than that, I would point it to the CPU. Assuming you have tried your monitor into another machine to confirm that it does receive a signal. I've seen displays loose their inputs and while you get the monitor menu and the LCD works, it doesn't accept any inputs.

Danzar

Honorable
Dec 5, 2012
Jay, yep, run via VGA direct with the GPU removed. I haven't tried running single sticks yet. Will give that a rip tomorrow.

I've only tried running an older 19" LCD and my LCD TV with my PC and they didn't work. But, I've tried running my current monitor connected to a notebook and I didn't get anything. I'll connect the notebook to my LCD TV to see if it works. If it does, it might still be my current monitor and the fact the other ones didn't work could be something else?

Byron, haven't tried that either. The menu option on my monitor doesn't work (strange) but the source button does......damn, it couldn't be the monitor? Other monitors don't work either....the plot thickens.

Will report back tomorrow.

THANK YOU! :)

Dan