Dell inspiron 620 best upgrade

bowtietr83

Honorable
Mar 23, 2012
I have an inspiron 620 that I am looking to upgrade a little further. I primarily play FSX and I am looking for better graphics and smoother game play. The current specs are below, what would be the best bang for the buck for this system?

Stock board
8gb ram
i7-2600
Ocz 600w power supply
Gtx550ti
Samsung 830 series ssd

I have contemplated replacing the board, but of course that comes with a new case and Windows license. Is the board the bottle neck at this point? How much would I benefit from going to a gtx560 or another sub $200 card?

Your upgrade would be a new graphics card. Unless you plan to OC your CPU, a new motherboard won't yield you much. Granted a retail motherboard would probably perform a bit better, but nothing that noticeable to you.

A sub $200 card would be a GTX650Ti 1GB, which runs about $150 and many have MIR's. However, honestly your best bet would be to upgrade to a GTX660. They run about $230 + MIR's, but perform MUCH better than a 650TI. To me the cost difference is worth it many times over. That AMD equivalent of a GTX660 is the 6870, which runs about the same price.

Actually the more I look over it a 650Ti isn't even worth it. It's not really an upgrade at all. The GTX660 is a small upgrade. You would almost have to go to a 660Ti to make it worth any sort of decent upgrade. They are about $290-$300 with some having MIRs.

Page through this review. It has the 560Ti, 660, and 660Ti in the charts. http://www.anandtech.com/show/6276/nvidia-geforce-gtx-660-review-gk106-rounds-out-the-kepler-family

I'd just sit on your 560Ti for now. Maybe try your hand at overclocking. I know they are very capable of it with good performance increases.