EOS 300D (digital rebel) filenames

Last response: in Digital Camera
April 27, 2005 9:23:01 AM

Hi
I don't know if I'm asking an impossible question, but it has to be
worth a try...

I'm interested in buying a second hand EOS 300D (that's the digital
rebel to some people) that I've seen for sale here in the UK. I wanted
to get an idea of how 'used' it actually is. Taking a trial photo in
the shop didn't reveal a frame count, but it did label the filename as
6031.jpg.

I'm guessing some likely possiblities are:

(a) that the camera has taken 6031 shots
(b) that the '6' represents the picture resolution, i.e. the maximum
of 6.3 megapixels, and that the camera is therefore likely to have
taken only 31 shots
(c) that numbering restarts every time a memory card is wiped, in
which case the camera has taken 31 shots since the last wipe.

But does anyone know for sure how the 300D labels its filenames and if
I can deduce frame count from it? I realise that I won't get an
absolute definite answer, but if, for example, someone could confirm
what the '6' stands for that would certainly give me some clues and
enable me better to judge the value of this camera.

Any suggestions appreciated.

Dan
Anonymous
April 27, 2005 9:38:22 AM

Dan Williams wrote:
> Hi
> I don't know if I'm asking an impossible question, but it has to be
> worth a try...
>
> I'm interested in buying a second hand EOS 300D (that's the digital
> rebel to some people) that I've seen for sale here in the UK. I
wanted
> to get an idea of how 'used' it actually is. Taking a trial photo in
> the shop didn't reveal a frame count, but it did label the filename
as
> 6031.jpg.

It shows that the camera has taken 6031 shots since the previous
counter reset. I am not sure how but there has to be a way to reset the
counter. In which case, you wouldn't know the actual number of shutter
actuations.

- Siddhartha
Anonymous
April 27, 2005 9:43:36 AM

Dan Williams wrote:
> Hi
> I don't know if I'm asking an impossible question, but it has to be
> worth a try...
>
> I'm interested in buying a second hand EOS 300D (that's the digital
> rebel to some people) that I've seen for sale here in the UK. I
wanted
> to get an idea of how 'used' it actually is. Taking a trial photo in
> the shop didn't reveal a frame count, but it did label the filename
as
> 6031.jpg.

Stupid me. The easiest way to reset the counter must be to replace the
internal CR2025 Lithium battery.

- Siddhartha
April 27, 2005 7:35:19 PM

As Siddharta has stated it has shot 6031 frames since the last
reset...chances are it hasn't been reset as that's a menu option...I have
mine set to reset everytime the cf card is taken out (which is everyday) so
in truth there is no way of knowing how many frames any of the bodies I have
have in fact shot...if that makes sense.

If in doubt ask if the shop know how old the body actually is and if the
warranty card is still with it. (if it's under 12 months it's still under
warranty anyway. if the warranty card has never been filled in or the body
registered with Canon then who's to say that you haven't bought it new?).

Last I heard from a Canon authorised repairer was that the D30 shutter
lasted 25K frames, the 10D/300D was good for 50K frames.

"Dan Williams" <dan@d-cubed.co.uk> wrote in message
> Hi
> I don't know if I'm asking an impossible question, but it has to be
> worth a try...
>
> I'm interested in buying a second hand EOS 300D (that's the digital
> rebel to some people) that I've seen for sale here in the UK. I wanted
> to get an idea of how 'used' it actually is. Taking a trial photo in
> the shop didn't reveal a frame count, but it did label the filename as
> 6031.jpg.
>
> I'm guessing some likely possiblities are:
>
> (a) that the camera has taken 6031 shots
> (b) that the '6' represents the picture resolution, i.e. the maximum
> of 6.3 megapixels, and that the camera is therefore likely to have
> taken only 31 shots
> (c) that numbering restarts every time a memory card is wiped, in
> which case the camera has taken 31 shots since the last wipe.
>
> But does anyone know for sure how the 300D labels its filenames and if
> I can deduce frame count from it? I realise that I won't get an
> absolute definite answer, but if, for example, someone could confirm
> what the '6' stands for that would certainly give me some clues and
> enable me better to judge the value of this camera.
>
> Any suggestions appreciated.
>
> Dan
Anonymous
April 30, 2005 9:03:15 AM

Colin D wrote:
> Maybe, but the book says you can use the menu to switch between
> continuous and reset numbering. Reset numbering starts from 1 every
> time you change the CF card.

Damn, I should've RTFM ;)

Thanks for the pointer.
Anonymous
April 30, 2005 12:21:13 PM

Siddhartha Jain wrote:
> Colin D wrote:
>> Maybe, but the book says you can use the menu to switch between
>> continuous and reset numbering. Reset numbering starts from 1
>> every
>> time you change the CF card.
>
> Damn, I should've RTFM ;)
>
> Thanks for the pointer.
---------------------------------
A month or so ago Fyimo wrote:
" > To correct this
> you need to set the camera to reset the # sequence back to 1 & then
> reformat the card in the camera.
>

> Now go back in & set the camera file # sequence back to it's
> default setting which is to "not reset" the future pictures back to
> #
> 1 when a new CF is installed or reformatted in camera.
>

> Now turn take 1 picture & then turn off the camera & place
> the
> CF card is a (USB, Fire Wire or PCMCIA) card reader/writer on your
> PC/notebook & rename the file folder & the picture # to what it
> should be"

So you can reset your camera to any number you prefer.

I have done it a few times, when I unthinkingly used a new-camera card
in an older-camera sequence, resetting the older camera to the new
camera's numbers. It takes a couple minutes to get the old camera back
on track.

Talk about your obsession with details!!

--
Frank ess
Anonymous

Siddhartha Jain wrote:

> Dan Williams wrote:
> > Hi
> > I don't know if I'm asking an impossible question, but it has to be
> > worth a try...
> >
> > I'm interested in buying a second hand EOS 300D (that's the digital
> > rebel to some people) that I've seen for sale here in the UK. I
> wanted
> > to get an idea of how 'used' it actually is. Taking a trial photo in
> > the shop didn't reveal a frame count, but it did label the filename
> as
> > 6031.jpg.
> >

> Stupid me. The easiest way to reset the counter must be to replace the
> internal CR2025 Lithium battery.
>
> - Siddhartha

Maybe, but the book says you can use the menu to switch between
continuous and reset numbering. Reset numbering starts from 1 every
time you change the CF card.

Colin
!