Im in need of a new GPU

Alright, i am in need of a new GPU i am looking for something under 300$ that is high end and will last and put out alot of performance for that price.
I have never had a high end nvidia GPU and kind of want to try out nvidia since i wont be using eyefinty.
My system is up to par i have an i5 2500k at 4.0 ghz and a 700w Coolmax psu
Right now i am running an HD 4850 its old and out dated and still manages to run most newer games, i just really feel the need to upgrade because it would make me happy so.

I come here to ask for help from you guys, what card should i get?
27 answers Last reply
More about tomshardware
  1. http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814127662
    great single card performance, and a great cooling solution. it will be a great addition to that 2500k
  2. FlintIronStagg said:
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814127662
    great single card performance, and a great cooling solution. it will be a great addition to that 2500k

I was looking at the GTX 660 TI FTW
    I feel that it is a great card http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814130837&Tpk=660%20TI%20FTW
  3. That 660 ti is actually for 279.99 AR right now which is the best price I've ever seen on a 660 ti, not to mention the EVGA signature edition which is usually more expensive.
  4. the 660ti would be really good choice. the gtx 660 (non ti) would be almost just as good though
  5. GTX 660 TI.
  6. I would get the 660 Ti over the 660
  7. If you are wanting to spend the whole 300 then the 660ti is the best bet.
  8. 660 ti! only other thing is 7950, which i would not get because drivers are actively updated through each company, so dont worry about people saying the 12.8 catalyst put AMD on top. Just get a GTX 660 ti
  9. Nvidia drivers are much better than Ati in my experience
  10. I said in my experience..... nvidia has been better to me than Ati as far as drivers especially because I run 2x cards... face it, amd drops the ball on drivers and if they do have a fix it takes a long time to do so
  11. :hello:
    Quote:
    dude, Amd has solved all driver problems Since amd released CCC 12.6 whql drivers. So shut your Sucking mouth or i will F**k you

http://img.tomshardware.com/forum/uk/icones/smilies/hello.gif

keep up this attitude and you will be kicked
  12. Oh its been reported trust me
  13. i will be purchasing the EVGA GTX 660 TI FTW Signature 2
    Tomorrow when i wake up and transfer money to my bank account, :)
    Thank u everyone much appreciated.
  14. SLI is way better then CFX in benchmarks, although i have no real life knowledge of that, benchmarks usually dont lie
  15. good choice. The 660 ti ftw will be a nice card and won't bottleneck your i5. NVIDIA driver are best to me. Had a friend who had a laptop running radeon. After I built his gaming rig he installed the NVIDIA drivers calling me immediately telling me how stoked he was about NVIDIA drivers now
  16. can someone tell me how the gtx660ti is better than a 7870 which is available for much less or better than an hd7950 which is available for just a little more ? gtx660ti represents bad value in terms of performance per dollar and everybody knows it.
    in the end its his decision but i would not advice a gtx660ti. nope
  17. FlintIronStagg said:
    I said in my experience..... nvidia has been better to me than Ati as far as drivers especially because I run 2x cards... face it, amd drops the ball on drivers and if they do have a fix it takes a long time to do so

+1 for nvidia drivers. I have also had a better experience with Nvidia drivers AND software.
  18. mohit9206 said:
    can someone tell me how the gtx660ti is better than a 7870 which is available for much less or better than an hd7950 which is available for just a little more ? gtx660ti represents bad value in terms of performance per dollar and everybody knows it.
    in the end its his decision but i would not advice a gtx660ti. nope

Why must you question it? The 660 ti is comparable to the 7950 BUT here is the kicker..... Drivers. Driver are a necessary element in performance.Though chip for chip the 7950 is better. Would you rather have a card that can have driver issues one WHQRL and more or less the next. or would you rather have a card that is backed by a awesome gaming community and have great driver support for every driver. Ive been through all the 300 series drivers so far and only had 1 red screen.
  19. Rockdpm said:
    Why must you question it? The 660 ti is comparable to the 7950 BUT here is the kicker..... Drivers. Driver are a necessary element in performance.Though chip for chip the 7950 is better. Would you rather have a card that can have driver issues one WHQRL and more or less the next. or would you rather have a card that is backed by a awesome gaming community and have great driver support for every driver. Ive been through all the 300 series drivers so far and only had 1 red screen.

Yeap i agree both cards trade blows..Yea the memory bandwidth and bus is higher but has a lower memory speed i believe 5.0 Gbps while the 660 Ti has a lower bandwidth/bus but has 6.0 Gbps which makes up for the bandwidth..My opinion both is good cards still but as for me to i would rather have better drivers as well
  20. I will probably do SLI in the near future, i am buying a new power supply next paycheck.
    Even tho mine is fine, i dont trust it all that much.
  21. adaptive vsync is another amazing reason to get GeForce over Radeon. Also to any ARMA 3 people, it does use Physx!
  22. BeastLeeX said:
    adaptive vsync is another amazing reason to get GeForce over Radeon. Also to any ARMA 3 people, it does use Physx!

Yea also you might like EVGA Precision X feature called Frame rate target. Which you set your frame rate and it locks it in. Almost wanna say it OC's your card to keep that rate
  23. BeastLeeX said:
    adaptive vsync is another amazing reason to get GeForce over Radeon. Also to any ARMA 3 people, it does use Physx!

I play arma 2 and will be buying arma 3 :)
  24. dunsparth said:
    I play arma 2 and will be buying arma 3 :)

Definately a good reason for Geforce then, i can't wait to see the effects of physx in this game!
  25. Yea, PhysX is an amazing feature
  26. Rockdpm said:
    Yea, PhysX is an amazing feature

then why do so few games support it ?
  27. Most games are developed with console in mind. Console does not have physx. Few games support it but when they utilize it well it is nice to see
Ask a new question

Read More

Graphics Cards GPUs Nvidia Graphics Product