What do people get from Nvidia?

Not that I'm trying to start a flamewar or anything, but I really don't get what benefit there is from Nvidia cards? It seems whenever you go Nvidia you have spend considerably more to get a comparable product to ATI (UK prices). The stuff I'm talking about are things like 7850 vs 560ti, ATI wins across the board and the two are the same price. 7950 vs 670, the 670 edges it slightly in performance and power consumption, but the 670 is around £70 more, both for reference designs and ones with good coolers. Is a 680 really worth the extra £100 over a 7970?

I'm new to the world of GPU's, so someone tell me what I'm not seeing?

Thanks.

1. Suppose.
2. Dont understand what you're getting at?

yyk71200

Distinguished
Mar 10, 2010
Nvidia tends to have a bit better drivers (neither is perfect).

PhysicsX (isn't used much though but some people are really interested in it) (someone should develop OpenCL based physics standard)

3D vision support is better (again, only for someone who is interested)

AMD started pricing their current production really aggressively only quite recently.

Nvidia control panel is more customizable.

Some people just prefer one brand over another.

The R7950 GTX 670 R7970 are all best bang for buck you don't put a 560 ti or 7850 in the same sentence as those cards period.With that said, you have to look at how AMD and Nvidia models match up.There is no answer to your question all these cards trade blows there is no clear winner!
GTX660 Ti/R7950
GTX670/R7970
GTX680/ R7970 Ghz
GTX690/ R7990

from your question i think you were asking what bonus or advantages does nvidia have because for the same price you can get better performing gpu from amd camp. in general i can say there is nothing special about nvidia cards while being more expensive than amd counter part :)

about exclusive features i think it can be subjective. for examples some people care about PhysX because it does add more flavor to the eye candy but some other does even care about it because those extra eye candy will only eat your frame rates and it does not offer gameplay advantage at all.

so for me there is no advantages to nvidia for being expensive to their amd counter part. my personal take on this matter was nvidia did not want to play 'price war' with amd and hit their bottom line while the business is not so good for everyone in the industry.

I think asking a question like this is just asking for trouble if i was a mod i close it sorry but www.techpowerup.com www.guru3d.com www.anandtech.com www.hardocp.com www.hardwarecanucks.com and google are your friend

shura4ever

Distinguished
Apr 20, 2009
because if you don't buy AMD then they will go bankrupt and you will get stuck with Intel.
There... that's should be good enough reason.

Also, don't listed to paid nvidia staff telling you their drivers are better...

PS: Nvidia murdered 3dfx.

That is your opinion you do realize that right ?And don't call people names that's not nice my mom always told me if you don't have nothing nice to say don't say nothing at all ;)

shura4ever

Distinguished
Apr 20, 2009

well.. that's what you and your mom think....
Also, edited to make it more politically correct

Darkoil

Honorable
Sep 24, 2012
Nvidia work closely with a lot of major game developers and the result is Nvidia cards usually work better for these games. Yes AMD cards are cheaper if you are looking at price performance which for most people this is a major selling point. If the comparable performance Nvidia card was the same price as the AMD card a particular person bought I wonder if they would still have gone with the AMD card. I've always been impressed with the Nvidia cards I have bought and as such I don't mind paying extra for the Nvidia card as I know I am getting a quality product. I do own a laptop with an ATI card which is suprisingly powerful when playing games but I find the support for ATI cards to be slightly lacking when compared to Nvidia. One final thing, I am a big sucker for physx, batman arkham city feels empty without it, if you can only afford or a run a single card and want the extra features I would always recomend Nvidia, if you are on a really tight budget then AMD would probably be the way to go.

mancsoulja

Distinguished
May 22, 2012
I've had it with ATI. Crappy drivers, BSOD's, microstutter on Crossfire setups. I waited ages for them to release a CAP for sleeping dogs, and when they did. It didnt work :fou: lol So i treated myself to a GTX 690 :bounce:

Personally i dont care if its green or red (nvidia or ati), just how much im getting for my money.
For me its simple: 30 FPS minimum on demanding games with high to very high settings on full HD.
This time, the cheapest option was 560 Ti. Next time, we will see.

Darkoil

Honorable
Sep 24, 2012

Yeah I know AMD work with game developers as well, it's just more likely to see that annoyingly loud Nvidia intro on big game releases.

mancsoulja

Distinguished
May 22, 2012

I was using 2 x 6870's. I did get a 7970 but it died on me in like a month and that was my last straw. Although one massive plus crossfire does have over SLI, is that ATI cards can use all the Vram from both cards, so 2 x 2GB graphics cards will give you 4GB Vram with crossfire.

mancsoulja

Distinguished
May 22, 2012

Not true. ATI have some of the big names now. Codemasters racing, ID and Bethesda have all done deals with ATI. Maybe back in the day, Nvida logo poped up at the start of most games. But not anymore.

I think it's important to act like a adult on public forums i am pretty sure the mods won't put up with no non sense so it's good you edited it ;)

I like to identify the point of diminishing returns for each new generation of GPUs. Now that the prices have settled down a bit, the best bang for your buck is definitely the 1GB HD 7850, but playing games on Ultra @ 1080 requires a bit more VRAM and muscle this year... The HD 7870 and GTX 660 are my current top picks because they provide great performance for under $250. The most expensive card I would buy right now is the HD 7950 because the HD 7970 and GTX 670 are slightly more expensive than they're worth, and you can overclock any HD 7950 to those cards' level.

It's true there are some nice features if you want to pay slightly more for an Nvidia card, but they don't make a huge difference. And those pathetic 192-bit memory interfaces are likely going to bottleneck you down the road. And at the $200-300 price range, I'd assume you want at least 2-3 years out of the card you choose.

mohit9206

Distinguished
i think both amd and nvidia are great companies. that is why they co-exist with each other . both offer great video cards. its a matter of what you want from your card, what specific features you need decides whether you go for amd or nvidia.
persoanlly i got myself an hd7750 because i felt it was superior to gt640 for a little bit more money. and more suited to my monitor res and also more future proof like for 3 years. so it depends what you need

jb1007

Honorable
Aug 27, 2012
I hated AMD/ATI for a long time... always went with NVidia. NVidia is superior, they have the best drivers say the forums. I believed it all! This time around I found a super deal on a 7870 and got it. You know what the difference between the two is? Zero. Exactly the same stuff packaged differently.