Problems connecting to to shared drives on network

weedn

Distinguished
Jan 2, 2012
ok, so heres the problem

i have 2 windows 7 computer on a wireless network in my house

basiclly i want to be able to share the drives on both computers so that i can stream media between the computer and also devices in my home (xbox360)

i went to set the drives to shared in the properties for the drives on both computers, however, whenever i try to connect to the other computer through the network section i got this pop up asking for a password, i tried login passwords and no go

so i went into the sharing options and turned off password protection and it seemed to let me through, and i can see the drive i named and setup, only now when i try clicking on the drive i shared it says (windows cannot access//NAME OF FOLDER

how do i get this to work?

weedn

Distinguished
Jan 2, 2012
yeah, there both completely legit versions of windows 7. one comp is a prebuilt HP the other is one i built with an OEM version loaded on there, both are 64 bit home premium versions

i tried doing the homegroups thing, set the password on the first computer, typed in on the second, and when i go in there it says there are no computers connected to the homegroup. i dont understand what im doing wrong