Sign in with
Your question

Radeon 7870, Msi gtx 660ti, or evga gtx 660 ti FTW (2gb)

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
October 15, 2012 3:43:49 AM

Just wondering which card to get i play all types of games aswell as current games like PlanetSide2 GW2 BF3 Crysis 2 etc and im really torn on cards atm
a b U Graphics card
October 15, 2012 3:53:11 AM

If you play BF3 a ton, in disproportionate amounts to other games, then you'll want a 660 ti. Otherwise the 7870 performs similarly to a 660 ti and therefore because of price is often the better option.
MSI R7870 HAWK - $260
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...
m
l
October 15, 2012 4:20:23 AM

well im more of random single player games or SC2, Crysis,planet side, and looking to newer games like Rome TW2 and and COH2 and other random game just curious to see people's opinions between the cards in terms on framerates i myself prefer Nvidia quite a bit just just wondering seeing as the gtx still 192bit but still tends to keep up and beat most cards so i would rather talk to actual gamers vs those vanilla benchmarks that throw out frames
m
l
Related resources
a b U Graphics card
October 15, 2012 5:15:13 AM

itwish said:
well im more of random single player games or SC2, Crysis,planet side, and looking to newer games like Rome TW2 and and COH2 and other random game just curious to see people's opinions between the cards in terms on framerates i myself prefer Nvidia quite a bit just just wondering seeing as the gtx still 192bit but still tends to keep up and beat most cards so i would rather talk to actual gamers vs those vanilla benchmarks that throw out frames

I see a lot of people around here who are devoted to EVGA gtx cards. It doesn't make too much sense to me, their cooling solutions never win comparisons and their cards run at or near stock clock rates. MSI, Gigabyte, and Asus have shown dominance in different areas of the graphics card, namely overclocking, cooling, and efficiency. In head to head comparisons the cards show quantifiable strengths over the others whereas the EVGA just sits back and plays with the reference spec.
I hear their customer support is more tolerable than others, but I've built 6 computers without a single RMA and don't see a quantifiable risk going with the more annoying vendors.
I've built with AMD radeon 7770s, and I can tell you those things are powerful little machines. I've gamed on Nvidia for 2 years now, but playing with those things on slightly lower resolutions is scarily similar to my 560 ti at 1080p.
The gtx 660 ti does not tend to keep up, it ties or barely beats the 7870, a $50 cheaper card, and is limited in overclocking to your luck with the memory frequency because of the bandwidth issue. The 7950 is a better card hands down at the same price segment.
m
l
a b U Graphics card
October 15, 2012 5:20:32 AM

itwish said:
Just wondering which card to get i play all types of games aswell as current games like PlanetSide2 GW2 BF3 Crysis 2 etc and im really torn on cards atm

7870's often sell for $215-$230 on newegg. At those prices they kill the 660ti in price/performance. However they sell out quick! Keep your ear to the ground!
m
l
a b U Graphics card
October 15, 2012 5:21:32 AM

kevin83 said:
I see a lot of people around here who are devoted to EVGA gtx cards. It doesn't make too much sense to me, their cooling solutions never win comparisons and their cards run at or near stock clock rates. MSI, Gigabyte, and Asus have shown dominance in different areas of the graphics card, namely overclocking, cooling, and efficiency. In head to head comparisons the cards show quantifiable strengths over the others whereas the EVGA just sits back and plays with the reference spec.
I hear their customer support is more tolerable than others, but I've built 6 computers without a single RMA and don't see a quantifiable risk going with the more annoying vendors.
I've built with AMD radeon 7770s, and I can tell you those things are powerful little machines. I've gamed on Nvidia for 2 years now, but playing with those things on slightly lower resolutions is scarily similar to my 560 ti at 1080p.
The gtx 660 ti does not tend to keep up, it ties or barely beats the 7870, a $50 cheaper card, and is limited in overclocking to your luck with the memory frequency because of the bandwidth issue. The 7950 is a better card hands down at the same price segment.

Well said.
m
l
a c 185 U Graphics card
a b Î Nvidia
October 15, 2012 5:35:29 AM

I will quote a review keep in mind review is two months old and AMD has dropped the price. Quote: "As it stands, AMD’s position correctly reflects their performance; the GTX 660 Ti is a solid and relatively consistent 10-15% faster than the 7870, while the 7950 is anywhere between a bit faster to a bit slower depending on what benchmarks you favor. Of course when talking about the 7950 the “anything but equal” maxim still applies here, if not more so than with the GTX 670. The GTX 660 Ti is anywhere between 50% ahead of the 7950 and 25% behind it, and everywhere in between.

Coupled with the tight pricing between all of these cards, this makes it very hard to make any kind of meaningful recommendation here for potential buyers. Compared to the 7870 the GTX 660 Ti is a solid buy if you can spare the extra $20, though it’s not going to be a massive difference. The performance difference is going to be just enough that AMD is going to need to trim prices a bit more to secure the 7870’s position.

On the other hand due to the constant flip-flopping of the GTX 660 Ti and 7950 on our benchmarks there is no sure-fire recommendation to hand down there. If we had to pick something, on a pure performance-per-dollar basis the 7950 looks good both now and in the future; in particular we suspect it’s going to weather newer games better than the GTX 660 Ti and its relatively narrow memory bus. But the moment efficiency and power consumption start being important the GTX 660 Ti is unrivaled, and this is a position that is only going to improve in the future when 7950B cards start replacing 7950 cards. For reasons like that there are a couple of niches one card or another serves particularly well, such as overclocking with the 7950, but ultimately unless you have a specific need either card will serve you well enough". http://www.anandtech.com/show/6159/the-geforce-gtx-660-...
m
l
October 15, 2012 6:14:28 AM

thank you everyone well put i just have been such a huge nvidia fanboy for years now because usually for my price range nvidia dominated the market and i had a terrible time with the first and last radeon card i had which was quite some time ago and so if im not mistaken this card should put the gtx660 ti ftw, aswell as the MSI Hawk 7870 to shame? http://www.frys.com/product/7153722?site=sr:SEARCH:MAIN...
m
l
October 15, 2012 6:37:50 AM

well played my good sir like i said im an nvidia fanboy but it seems like quite the switch in products over the years seems to be more bang for your buck(of course depending on the hardware) but seems like better performance cards for cheaper form radeon i have to admit that 7950 looks pretty sexy i think i might snatch that up and on that Sapphire card in your opinion would there be a noticeable difference the reason i ask is the Twin frozr card will be at my local frys on the 16th and i love their return policy where as the other i would have to order from newegghttp://www.frys.com/product/6778855?site=sr:SEARCH:MAIN... and seeing as i can't find the correct info would you say my PSU could run both?
m
l
a c 185 U Graphics card
a b Î Nvidia
October 15, 2012 7:17:05 AM

Hmmm... To be honest i am not sure the 670 will be faster then a 7950 though that i know lol i like Sapphire's HD 7950 Vapor-X comes with a large dual-fan cooler that uses the company's famous vapor-chamber technology. On the Vapor-X you will also find a "Lethal Boost" button which switches to a second BIOS with higher clock speeds. With this BIOS, clocks are increased to 950 MHz GPU and 1250 MHz memory.I am not sure what PSU you have Here is Guru3D's power supply recommendation:

Radeon HD 7950 - On your average system the card requires you to have a 500 Watt power supply unit.
Radeon HD 7950 Crossfire - On your average system the cards require you to have a 700 Watt power supply unit as minimum.

If you are going to overclock GPU or processor, then we do recommend you purchase something with some more stamina. Source: http://www.guru3d.com/articles_pages/his_radeon_hd_7950...
m
l
a b U Graphics card
October 15, 2012 7:42:11 AM

Edited
m
l
a b U Graphics card
October 15, 2012 8:25:33 AM

Also the reason techpowerup/anandtech/sites that aren't tom's hardware give nvidia a better review is that they aren't stressing anti-aliasing as much. The 660 ti is hurt very badly by heavy AA and the tom's hardware review reflected that giving huge wins to the 7950 and even a minor win to the 7870 sometimes. If you take AA out of the equation the 660 ti becomes more viable, but is still limited to winning battles at 1080p. Any higher resolutions tax the memory too much.

The 670 dominates the 7950, but the 670's price range is starting to become more comparable to the 7970, which usually wins the reference-spec battle by 5-10 percent, making the 7950 a better value option. The 680 vendor cards after months of driver updates are usually tying/beating the 7970 ghz edition vendor cards, but not by enough to justify buying spending $200 more than on a 7950. Buying one 7950 now also gives a much more affordable path to crossfire in the future than buying a 7970 or gtx 680.

I really like msi's power edition cards, but they're actually breaking voltage limits set by nvidia and recently got in big trouble for it. They're often faster cards, but with a pretty extreme factory overclock.
m
l
a b U Graphics card
October 15, 2012 4:25:12 PM

Edited
m
l
a c 87 U Graphics card
October 15, 2012 5:11:40 PM

dscudella said:
Being 192bit or 384bit doesn't really matter. Look at the Radeon 6850 256bit and the 7770 128bit. The 6850 looks better on paper but with each set of new drivers the 7770 gets better and in a lot of benchmarks beats the 6850. The 660 Ti was released to do battle against the 7950 and it does just that.

Sure the 7950 has headroom to OC, but so does the 660 Ti, which already beats it stock. So OC'ing doesn't matter with that argument.

You see the chart, OC'ed the 660 Ti PE isn't far behind the 7970 Ghz Edi which is $150 more.

I see a lot of AMD love in this thread, people don't want to like Nvidia, Stats & charts don't lie, you can sit there and say AMD's better because of X but if benchmarks and reviews from 3 highly respected sites say Nvidia's faster, how can you argue with that?

Uhh, no. The 660 Ti's overclocking is poor. The 7950 wins hands-down in overclocking because the best 7950s are generally better than the best 670s which are already better than the best 660 Tis. The 7950 most certainly does not lose at stock unless you play without MSAA well-utilized, something that's kinda odd to do at 1080p.

Furthermore, 7950s can be found cheaper than 660 Tis if you care to look.

Bit width of the memory interface does matter. The 7770 is a much lower end card and doesn't need a high end memory interface. The 660 Ti has an upper low-end memory interface on one of the highest-end GPUs in the world for gaming and that does hurt. That it doesn't perform exactly like the 670 is purely because of its memory and ROP interface being gimped.

http://pcpartpicker.com/part/xfx-video-card-fx795atdbc

http://www.hardocp.com/article/2012/08/23/galaxy_gtx_66...

HardOCP clearly shows that this cheap 7950 model is more than capable of fighting with what is arguably the best 670 and not only that, but beating it. My only issue with this review is that I don't get why that 670's memory didn't overclock to at least around 1700MHz, but even if it had, it would have still lost, just only marginally.

Furthermore, there have been known reliability issues with MSI's PE cards, so I wouldn't recommend them. I'm not saying that there are no good 660 Ti cards, but they are most certainly not the better cards compared to the best 7950s.
m
l
a b U Graphics card
October 15, 2012 5:26:06 PM

Edited

m
l
a c 87 U Graphics card
October 15, 2012 5:30:47 PM

dscudella said:
Did you even read the reviews I posted or just go with your one review that shows the 660 Ti taking a back seat? There are no issues with MSI's GPU's, they are all backed by a 3 year warranty and come with a very good OEM cooler, they might have slightly bumped up voltages, but that comes with the warranty.

Go to my earlier posts, read the reviews, check the charts, I linked them from Anandtech & Techpowerup and I'm sure I can find more.

None of your reviews and their charts show a good overclocked 7950 losing (in fact, none of them have such a good 7950 with a proper overclock, so they are not relevant in an argument where you try to discredit my link). Warranty is irrelevant in this example, the PE cards are proven to be less reliable and MSI has publicly apologized for it. Having a good warranty on a less reliable card doesn't hange the annoyance incurred and th additional shipping price that is involved with most RMAs. Furthermore, there's no such thing as an MSI GPU. They have graphics cards, but they do not have GPUs. They use AMD and Nvidia GPUs.

You can argue that 660 Ti is a good card, it is, but it is not a better card where overclocking is considered.
m
l
a b U Graphics card
October 15, 2012 5:37:07 PM

Since you want to nit pick lets just call them VC's then, hmm? Video Cards. Or more appropriately Video Graphics Adapters? VGA's?

Edit: You know what, I'm done. There is absolutely no point in getting into an argument over a forum post. For price comparison, for $300 you get your flavor of 660 Ti, for $310 you get yourself a 7950, take your pick.

I'm going to be the bigger man and step away from the keyboard.
m
l
a c 87 U Graphics card
October 15, 2012 6:17:13 PM

Being the bigger man would have been discussing it and coming to a conclusion that we can either both agree on or both agree to disagree on, not stepping away and ignoring this.

Regardless, for stock performance comparisons, a good GTX 660 is the better option for Nvidia users as it is very near the 660 Ti in performance despite being much cheaper and using considerably less power. For AMD users, the 7870 or the 7950 are better options in different ways (similar performance at lower price with the 7870, somewhat better heavy load performance at similar price with the 7950). For people who don't care which way, the 660 and the 7870 are comparably performing at stock and both beat the 660 Ti in value greatly. For overclocking, the 7870 and 7950 can easily get a good win over their Nvidia counterparts.

To go further in depth, one could look into per-game favoritism with how games react differently to different graphics cards compared to other games with the same cards, but unlike in the past, Radeon 7xxx and GTX 6xx generally aren't greatly favored over the other universally in any game. Different settings often favor one over the other, but each game usually doesn't as a whole.

For example, Nvidia often wins when you go for settings that are intensive on the GPU, yet light on the memory bandwidth, whereas AMD wins when the opposite is done even when they have comparable memory bandwidth to Nvidia (obvious signs of AMD having other factors causing greater efficiency with settings that eat through memory bandwidth) cards that have inferior scaling despite similar memory bandwidth.

However, AMD has greater scaling with increased resolution and with heavier MSAA, so at least until TXAA gets more games supporting it, AMD tends to have a advantage in increasing the resolution and in increasing the intensity of the AA when you try to alleviate jaggies. Even increasing texture quality settings and such has considerably greater efficiency on AMD cards than on Nvidia cards.

Regardless, I think that the final thoughts from the Anand article that bigcyco1 linked sums it up quite well:
http://www.anandtech.com/show/6159/the-geforce-gtx-660-...
m
l
a c 612 U Graphics card
a c 405 Î Nvidia
October 15, 2012 6:21:48 PM

kevin83 said:
the 7870 performs similarly to a 660 ti

About 10% slower.
kevin83 said:

About 19% slower.
kevin83 said:
gtx 660 ti does not tend to keep up, it ties or barely beats the 7870.

About 10% slower.
bigcyco1 said:
Hmmm... To be honest i am not sure the 670 will be faster then a 7950 though that i know lol i like Sapphire's HD 7950 Vapor-X.html

About 9% slower when in Lethal Boost mode.
blazorthon said:
the best 7950s are generally better than the best 670s which are already better than the best 660 Tis.

About 9% slower in Lethal Boost mode than a GTX 670.
The 7950 Vapor-X is about 3% faster than a stock GTX 660 Ti, and about 6% faster when in Lethal Boost mode.
blazorthon said:
7950s can be found cheaper than 660 Tis if you care to look.

Exactly the same price, $290. Actually most GTX 660 Ti's are $290, while only one 7950 is that price. Most 7950's are over $300.

m
l
a b U Graphics card
October 15, 2012 6:26:32 PM

There is no "discussing it". You quoted me and tried to discredit everything I said even after I posted multiple benchmarks & reviews showing the performance of the Nvidia card, placing it above the 7870 and right on with the reference 7950. You said the GTX 660 Ti doesn't OC that well, I again linked a review where they achieved over 300mhz on the memory. You replied with "but the 7950 OC's too".

It's a dead subject, you voiced your opinion louder than me and I withdrew my comments. So, OP, read Blazorthorns post and decide what you want off that.
m
l
a c 87 U Graphics card
October 15, 2012 6:35:07 PM

dscudella said:
There is no "discussing it". You quoted me and tried to discredit everything I said even after posting multiple benchmarks & reviews showing the performance of the Nvidia card, placing it above the 7870 and right on with the reference 7950. You said the GTX 660 Ti doesn't OC that well, I again linked a review where they achieved over 300mhz on the memory. You replied with "but the 7950 OC's too".

It's a dead subject, you voiced your opinion louder than me and I withdrew my comments. So, OP, read Blazorthorns post and decide what you want off that.

660 Ti does not overclock well compared to the 7950. That memory overclock simply can't compare with AMD's overclocking headroom simply because unlike AMD, Nvidia has very poor aggregate overclocking scaling (superior memory frequency scaling, but inferior memory bandwidth due to weaker bus anyway and far inferior GPU frequency scaling, especially on the 650 Ti, 660, and 660 Ti). For example, although a 660 Ti can often hit higher GPU and memory frequencies than any AMD card, they still simply don't scale well on that GPU. Also, it's you who talked in that manner, not me. I showed how the 7950 can overclock better whereas it is the 660 Ti that can overclock too, but not as well. Hitting higher frequencies when still performing worse doesn't make it better at all.

Your reviews are all useless in an overclocking context where good 7950 models can consistently go around 50-60% over reference whereas 660 Ti's have to fight just to breach 20-35% over reference, if they even manage it. I wasn't trying to discredit you, just tell you that your reviews and such are not relevant for proper overclocking. They are relevant for stock comparisons, not overclocking.
m
l
a c 87 U Graphics card
October 15, 2012 6:37:06 PM

17seconds said:
About 10% slower.

About 19% slower.

About 10% slower.

The 7950 Vapor-X is about 3% faster than a stock GTX 660 Ti, and about 6% faster when in Lethal Boost mode.

Exactly the same price, $290. Actually most GTX 660 Ti's are $290, while only one 7950 is that price. Most 7950's are over $300.

I was speaking in the context of heavy overclocking, not stock, so if you want to reply, please at least stay within context.

Yes, most 660 Tis are slightly cheaper than most 7950s, but there are a few 7950s at $270-280, so they can be slightly cheaper. However, I'd argue that these prices are all so similar between $270 and $320 or so that the pricing isn't very important.
m
l
a c 185 U Graphics card
a b Î Nvidia
October 15, 2012 7:48:16 PM

^
This 7950 overclocking you are talking about. I'm not calling you out on it but would love to see some links showing this beating a overclocked 670.
m
l
a c 185 U Graphics card
a b Î Nvidia
October 15, 2012 7:57:53 PM

17seconds said:
About 10% slower.

About 19% slower.

About 10% slower.

http://tpucdn.com/reviews/Sapphire/HD_7950_Vapor-X/images/perfrel_1920.gif

Yeah i know 670 is faster then a 7950 ;) 
m
l
October 15, 2012 8:31:27 PM

OP here thank you all for the advice but ive chosen to go with the MSI 7950 Twin Frozr because of the ability to deal with a local store vs online and when it come sto the different 7950s and gtx 660ti its all really nit picking for the most part seeing as theres not that huge of performance difference and when it comes to AA i could care less, thank you all though very much
m
l
a b U Graphics card
October 15, 2012 8:41:51 PM

itwish said:
OP here thank you all for the advice but ive chosen to go with the MSI 7950 Twin Frozr because of the ability to deal with a local store vs online and when it come sto the different 7950s and gtx 660ti its all really nit picking for the most part seeing as theres not that huge of performance difference and when it comes to AA i could care less, thank you all though very much

You honestly couldn't have gone wrong with either card. Their performance is so close (660 Ti & 7950) that it really comes down to personal preference and eye candy. You'll be happy with the MSI Twin Frozr 7950.
m
l
a b U Graphics card
October 16, 2012 1:24:12 AM

maxalge, that review compares a 7950 with an extreme 295mhz effective overclock compared to the base for the card with a 670 with a 50mhz effective overclock due to gpu boost. (albeit at boost speeds of 1300mhz) That cannot possibly be a real-world max overclock for the 670. Also they admitted to not trying very had to overclock the card's ram.

The 7950 was certainly an amazing choice in terms of price/performance, but don't go thinking you'll match vendors' gtx 670 or 680 solutions.
m
l
October 16, 2012 1:49:31 AM

so many AMD fanboys in these forums spreading their jargon
m
l
a c 87 U Graphics card
October 16, 2012 1:55:31 AM

bigcyco1 said:
:lol:  you should read what you posted

http://hardocp.com/article/2012/08/23/galaxy_gtx_660_ti...

It takes a voltage unlocked 7950 to overclock this well, but there are still a few voltage unlocked models and many models that are locked by default, but can reliably be unlocked. Unfortunately, from what I've read, this XFX 7950 here is starting to have models shipping as locked, but there are still many of the unlocked versions available.
m
l
a c 87 U Graphics card
October 16, 2012 1:58:05 AM

kevin83 said:
maxalge, that review compares a 7950 with an extreme 295mhz effective overclock compared to the base for the card with a 670 with a 50mhz effective overclock due to gpu boost. (albeit at boost speeds of 1300mhz) That cannot possibly be a real-world max overclock for the 670. Also they admitted to not trying very had to overclock the card's ram.

The 7950 was certainly an amazing choice in terms of price/performance, but don't go thinking you'll match vendors' gtx 670 or 680 solutions.

The 670 with properly overclocked RAM still wouldn't have beaten that 7950 overall (although it would have had a few more small victories than it has in those tests and its losses would be far more marginal, arguably I think that they might more or less tie now that I've looked into it and done a little math). Furthermore, around 1.2GHz is very normal for voltage unlocked 7950s (although as the article suggests, its a pipe dream for cards that are voltage locked unless you choose models that can be unlocked).

They stated that they went as far as they could on the 670.
m
l
a b U Graphics card
October 16, 2012 2:34:58 AM

blazorthon said:
The 670 with properly overclocked RAM still wouldn't have beaten that 7950 overall (although it would have had a few more small victories than it has in those tests and its losses would be far more marginal, arguably I think that they might more or less tie now that I've looked into it and done a little math). Furthermore, around 1.2GHz is very normal for voltage unlocked 7950s (although as the article suggests, its a pipe dream for cards that are voltage locked unless you choose models that can be unlocked).

They stated that they went as far as they could on the 670.

I was reading a lot of Newegg customer reviews on the 7950's and noticed people were starting to complain about this. Do you have any insight as to which manufacturers are still shipping unlocked models? It would be helpful for future forum questions.
m
l
a c 87 U Graphics card
October 16, 2012 3:57:06 AM

dscudella said:
I was reading a lot of Newegg customer reviews on the 7950's and noticed people were starting to complain about this. Do you have any insight as to which manufacturers are still shipping unlocked models? It would be helpful for future forum questions.

From what I've read, the 7950s with 6+8 pin PCIe connectors (denoting a 7970 PCB) are all still voltage unlocked even as shipped, but I can't guarantee that.

Honestly, I haven't kept up with many models in stock voltage configuration being unlocked too well. Unlocking it is so easy with many models such as most of the XFX models that I tend to stick to that. There are also a few MSI, Asus, and I think Gigabyte WindForce models that can be unlocked if they aren't shipping as unlocked anymore.

Voltage locking is definitely something that I find very enthusiast-unfriendly. If AMD and Nvidia and their affiliate *OEMs* didn't want us getting roughly identical performance with overclocking compared to higher end cards, then they should do their own damned jobs and make the cards more differentiated. For example, why would I buy a 7970 when a 7950 has roughly identical performance at the same frequencies and can overclock to similar frequencies if you get voltage unlocked models? Well, if it was more like the 7850 and the 7870 where the 7870 can consistently hit higher frequencies while also having a considerable performance per Hz of the GPU frequency advantage, then even the 7970s without exotic cooling and pricing would be more considerable.

Nvidia did the same thing with the GTX 670 against the 680 and the 660 against the 660 Ti. Differentiating cards by mere GPU frequency and memory interface (really, the core count differences with AMD and the core count differences with Nvidia didn't make much of a difference except for the 7850 versus the 7870) simply doesn't work when overclocking is so effective.
m
l
a c 185 U Graphics card
a b Î Nvidia
October 16, 2012 4:09:09 AM

The voltage locking I hope they knock, that crap off i will not put out no money if they keep it up i will quit gaming on pc period it's bs there are ways around it but i hate having to go through all that non sense for something i paid for whatever happened to break it that is your problem but the option is there.
m
l
a b U Graphics card
October 16, 2012 9:05:09 AM

This is why card vs card threads dont need to be made..So subjective
m
l
May 2, 2013 3:29:29 AM

The HD 7950 does NOT beat the GTX 670. I can list 20 benchmarks showing it doesn't for those interested in numbers. On the other hand I build computers for a living. Have been doing it for 6 years. I've build anything from apu based systems to 4000 builds and custom mineral oil pc's. The 670 overclocks wayyy more than 50mhz on the core, perhaps they got a dud of a chip. Regardless you take a top of the line 670 overclocked far as it can aganist a top of the line 7950 and the 670 will beat it at everything everytime, it's that simple. You need to stop shoving your amd "fanboy attitude" in advice. To be a fanboy of one company or the other is just plan stupid. Both companies make good cards. The reason amd's card are downpriced is so that they still sale. The 7870 is suppose to be the competitor for the 660ti, the 7950 for 670, and 7970 for 680. Just like the 7850 aganist the 660. The reason the cards are downpriced so much is because aganist there direct compentation they lose, everytime. 660 beats 7850, 660 ti beats 7870, 670 beats 7950, it just simply does. Personally I think the HD 7870 and 7950 are the best cards you can buy price/performance and both are fantastic great cards. But the 7950 does NOT beat the gtx 670, that's 100% wrong and you need to get over it.
m
l
a b U Graphics card
May 2, 2013 11:00:59 PM

ace05 said:
The HD 7950 does NOT beat the GTX 670. I can list 20 benchmarks showing it doesn't for those interested in numbers. On the other hand I build computers for a living. Have been doing it for 6 years. I've build anything from apu based systems to 4000 builds and custom mineral oil pc's. The 670 overclocks wayyy more than 50mhz on the core, perhaps they got a dud of a chip. Regardless you take a top of the line 670 overclocked far as it can aganist a top of the line 7950 and the 670 will beat it at everything everytime, it's that simple. You need to stop shoving your amd "fanboy attitude" in advice. To be a fanboy of one company or the other is just plan stupid. Both companies make good cards. The reason amd's card are downpriced is so that they still sale. The 7870 is suppose to be the competitor for the 660ti, the 7950 for 670, and 7970 for 680. Just like the 7850 aganist the 660. The reason the cards are downpriced so much is because aganist there direct compentation they lose, everytime. 660 beats 7850, 660 ti beats 7870, 670 beats 7950, it just simply does. Personally I think the HD 7870 and 7950 are the best cards you can buy price/performance and both are fantastic great cards. But the 7950 does NOT beat the gtx 670, that's 100% wrong and you need to get over it.

And I can show just as many where it does. I have used both, and they trade blows. However one overclocks better and comes with 3GB of RAM. You decide bro...
m
l
August 14, 2013 9:41:32 AM

I'd pick up a evga 580 from scan.co.uk £137.99 oem brand new its the 10th most powerful single GPU out there for the same price as a gtx650ti which is like 30th most powerful so yer check scan out and if you sli 2 you could end up with near 690 performance and for 4 way sli you'd hands down be faster than the ares II from asus aslong as you have a i5/i7 or fx6100 u'd be fine i run a 3820 on 2011 and only use hd400
m
l
!