Pentax IST

Last response: in Digital Camera
April 27, 2005 11:33:46 PM

Without starting a flame war here, I am wondering at the lack of comentary
on the Pentax Digital SLR's in this group. Is the Pentax that bad? that
under represented? Or are the Canon and Nikon DSLR's just that much
better/widespread? Are the Pentax guys underground or in another group?

I own none yet, so feedback is welcome, but I couldn't help wondering...

thanks

More about : pentax ist

Anonymous
April 27, 2005 11:33:47 PM

On Wed, 27 Apr 2005 19:33:46 GMT, G Bolton <boltongregg@hotmail.com>
wrote:

>Without starting a flame war here, I am wondering at the lack of comentary
>on the Pentax Digital SLR's in this group. Is the Pentax that bad? that
>under represented? Or are the Canon and Nikon DSLR's just that much
>better/widespread? Are the Pentax guys underground or in another group?
>
>I own none yet, so feedback is welcome, but I couldn't help wondering...
>
>thanks

They (Pentax) were late to the game, it'll take a while before many
people have them.
-Rich
Anonymous
April 27, 2005 11:33:47 PM

G Bolton wrote:

> Without starting a flame war here, I am wondering at the lack of comentary
> on the Pentax Digital SLR's in this group. Is the Pentax that bad? that
> under represented? Or are the Canon and Nikon DSLR's just that much
> better/widespread? Are the Pentax guys underground or in another group?

It's (*ist D) is a fine enough camera. Like the Minolta Max 7D and the
Oly 4/3 system, it is severely under represented here. Or rather,
perhaps proportionaly represented.

The leaders, Canon and very much number two, Nikon (sorry , couldn't
resist) are what are found for discussion most here, alas.

Both Canon and Nikon of course had a good head start (ignoring things
like the Minolta RD175) and aggressively persued the market.

For owners of Pentax and Minolta lenses, of course the appropriate
bodies make the most sense. That is not to say they are bad systems,
quite the contrary; just that they are later into the game with limited
offering (Pentax 2 DSLR bodies, Minolta 2, one of which is very old and
FAIAP defunct).

Oly is a 'weather change' choice as they's come up with a new system
format (4/3) and a complete new line of lenses for that format. Jury is
still out on how much of a success this will be over the long term.

So, please do buy into Pentax, K-Minolta or Oly to help keep the
underdog side up.

There's also Sigma, but not only is the jury still out, rumors are that
they've committed mass suicide. ;-)

Cheers,
Alan.

-- e-meil: Remove FreeLunch.
Related resources
April 27, 2005 11:33:47 PM

"G Bolton" <boltongregg@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> Without starting a flame war here, I am wondering at the lack of comentary
> on the Pentax Digital SLR's in this group. Is the Pentax that bad? that
> under represented? Or are the Canon and Nikon DSLR's just that much
> better/widespread? Are the Pentax guys underground or in another group?
>
> I own none yet, so feedback is welcome, but I couldn't help wondering...

We are taking pictures and enjoying our cameras. Pentax owners tend to take
pictures.

http://www.darrelllarose.ca/gallery/Darrell1

for several of my *ist D images.
Anonymous
April 27, 2005 11:33:47 PM

G Bolton <boltongregg@hotmail.com> wrote:

> Without starting a flame war here, I am wondering at the lack of comentary
> on the Pentax Digital SLR's in this group. Is the Pentax that bad? that
> under represented? Or are the Canon and Nikon DSLR's just that much
> better/widespread? Are the Pentax guys underground or in another group?
>
> I own none yet, so feedback is welcome, but I couldn't help wondering...

The real discussion is going on elsewhere. Not hard to find, either. :-)

If you have a specific question about Pentax stuff, go ahead and ask it
here if you want to; folks will be able to answer.
Anonymous
April 28, 2005 12:02:35 AM

In article <Xns96459E51678C3boltongregg@24.24.2.165>,
G Bolton <boltongregg@hotmail.com> wrote:
>Without starting a flame war here, I am wondering at the lack of comentary
>on the Pentax Digital SLR's in this group. Is the Pentax that bad? that
>under represented? Or are the Canon and Nikon DSLR's just that much
>better/widespread? Are the Pentax guys underground or in another group?
>
>I own none yet, so feedback is welcome, but I couldn't help wondering...

There are a few Pentax owners here. Lack of commentary would seem
to imply lack of complaints, rather than the Pentax being a bad camera.

The Canons and Nikons are definitely more widespread. And, as you
have noticed, they do tend to dominate this group, which can be a
self-perpetuating situation; owners of other brands may find the
number of posts they care about quite low here, so they seek other
forums (dpreview, mailing lists, etc.).
Anonymous
April 28, 2005 12:31:04 AM

"G Bolton" <boltongregg@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> Without starting a flame war here, I am wondering at the lack of comentary
> on the Pentax Digital SLR's in this group. Is the Pentax that bad? that
> under represented? Or are the Canon and Nikon DSLR's just that much
> better/widespread?

Canon and Nikon have 98% of the market for DSLRs, with Pentax, Olympus,
Konica-Minolta, Fuji, Kodak, Sigma, etc., splitting the remaining 2%. A
large part of the reason for dominance of Canon and Nikon is that they
dominated in film cameras, so buyers often already have lenses, so there
would have to be a very good reason to switch, and there isn't.

The Pentax istD and istDs are okay, but they are not nearly as good as the
Nikon D70, Canon EOS-350, or Canon 20D, so few people buy them.

Steve
http://digitalslrinfo.com
Anonymous
April 28, 2005 12:31:05 AM

Steven M. Scharf <scharf.steven@linkearth.net> wrote:

> The Pentax istD and istDs are okay, but they are not nearly as good as the
> Nikon D70, Canon EOS-350, or Canon 20D, so few people buy them.

<chortle>
Anonymous
April 28, 2005 12:58:03 AM

On Wed, 27 Apr 2005 19:33:46 GMT, G Bolton wrote:

> Without starting a flame war here, I am wondering at the lack of comentary
> on the Pentax Digital SLR's in this group. Is the Pentax that bad? that
> under represented? Or are the Canon and Nikon DSLR's just that much
> better/widespread? Are the Pentax guys underground or in another group?

With that kind of loaded question I doubt you'll get many helpful responses.

> I own none yet, so feedback is welcome, but I couldn't help wondering...

Wondering what? How bad Pentax is and where are all the users? Maybe they
spend more time taking pictures and less time bickering and indulging in
brand wars.

--
John Bean

There is no reason for any individual to have a computer in his home (Ken
Olsen, DEC, 1977)
Anonymous
April 28, 2005 2:06:40 AM

John Bean <waterfoot@gmail.com> wrote in

> On Wed, 27 Apr 2005 19:33:46 GMT, G Bolton wrote:
>
>> Is the Pentax that bad? Just that under represented? Or are the Canon
>> and Nikon DSLR's
>> just that much better/widespread? Are the Pentax guys underground or
>> in another group?
>
> With that kind of loaded question I doubt you'll get many helpful

I do the best I can. Thanks for whatever help you can offer. I
have long had (read quite old at this point) pentax SLR's for my VERY
casual shooting, so when I begin to research DSLR's I am puzzled by the
severe lack of comentary. Thus, my question(s).

>> I own none yet, so feedback is welcome, but I couldn't help
>> wondering...
>
> Wondering what? How bad Pentax is and where are all the users? Maybe
> they spend more time taking pictures and less time bickering and
> indulging in brand wars.

Point taken - and to be honest - respected.

thanks
Anonymous
April 28, 2005 2:23:54 AM

johnf@panix.com (John Francis) wrote in
news:D 4or4r$p6u$1@reader1.panix.com:

> In article <Xns96459E51678C3boltongregg@24.24.2.165>,
> G Bolton <boltongregg@hotmail.com> wrote:
>>Without starting a flame war here, I am wondering at the lack of
>>comentary on the Pentax Digital SLR's in this group.
>
> There are a few Pentax owners here. Lack of commentary would seem
> to imply lack of complaints, rather than the Pentax being a bad
> camera.

A similar point was made by someone else. I like the idea.

> The Canons and Nikons are definitely more widespread. And, as you
> have noticed, they do tend to dominate this group, which can be a
> self-perpetuating situation; owners of other brands may find the
> number of posts they care about quite low here, so they seek other
> forums (dpreview, mailing lists, etc.).

Thank you for the heads-up. I will check out some of the "other"
forums.
Anonymous
April 28, 2005 2:48:04 AM

"Steven M. Scharf" <scharf.steven@linkearth.net> wrote:

>Canon and Nikon have 98% of the market for DSLRs, with Pentax, Olympus,
>Konica-Minolta, Fuji, Kodak, Sigma, etc., splitting the remaining 2%.

These "statistics" are complete and utter nonsense.

Please stop posting them, because they serve only to mislead.
Anonymous
April 28, 2005 2:48:05 AM

"Tony Polson" <tp@nospam.net> wrote in message
> "Steven M. Scharf" <scharf.steven@linkearth.net> wrote:
>
> >Canon and Nikon have 98% of the market for DSLRs, with Pentax, Olympus,
> >Konica-Minolta, Fuji, Kodak, Sigma, etc., splitting the remaining 2%.
>

> These "statistics" are complete and utter nonsense.
>
> Please stop posting them, because they serve only to mislead.

Canon currently has around 65% of the digital SLR market, and Nikon has
around 33%. This adds up to 98%. What part of that is misleading?
April 28, 2005 3:31:51 AM

news:D 4p6h5$jsn$1@inews.gazeta.pl...
> Darrell wrote:
>

>> http://www.darrelllarose.ca/gallery/Darrell1
>
> Some nice images there Darrell.

Thank you Alan...
Anonymous
April 28, 2005 3:38:49 AM

G Bolton <boltongregg@*hotmail.com> wrote:

>Thank you for the heads-up. I will check out some of the "other"
>forums.

Try the forums at DPReview.com:

http://www.dpreview.com/forums/
April 28, 2005 3:42:54 AM

wrote:

>Without starting a flame war here, I am wondering at the lack of comentary
>on the Pentax Digital SLR's in this group. Is the Pentax that bad? that
>under represented? Or are the Canon and Nikon DSLR's just that much
>better/widespread? Are the Pentax guys underground or in another group?
>
>I own none yet, so feedback is welcome, but I couldn't help wondering...
>
>thanks

I switched from Pentax because the ist * was too small for my hands.
I couldn't get comfortable with it. would have liked to recycle my
Pentax glass.

--
Charles

Does not play well with others.
Anonymous
April 28, 2005 3:48:05 AM

On Wed, 27 Apr 2005 22:33:46 GMT, Steven M. Scharf wrote:

> "Tony Polson" <tp@nospam.net> wrote in message
>> "Steven M. Scharf" <scharf.steven@linkearth.net> wrote:
>>
>>>Canon and Nikon have 98% of the market for DSLRs, with Pentax, Olympus,
>>>Konica-Minolta, Fuji, Kodak, Sigma, etc., splitting the remaining 2%.
>>

>> These "statistics" are complete and utter nonsense.
>>
>> Please stop posting them, because they serve only to mislead.
>
> Canon currently has around 65% of the digital SLR market, and Nikon has
> around 33%. This adds up to 98%. What part of that is misleading?

"The digital SLR market" : where?

These figures don't tally in Japan, for example.

--
John Bean

If the automobile had followed the same development cycle as the computer, a
Rolls-Royce would today cost $100, get a million miles per gallon, and
explode once a year, killing everyone inside (Robert X. Cringely)
Anonymous
April 28, 2005 4:05:26 AM

On Wed, 27 Apr 2005 18:52:20 -0400, Alan Browne wrote:

> John Bean wrote:
>
>> My Sigma SD9 morphed into a Pentax *istDS :-)
>
> C'grats.

:-)

I bought the SD9 when Canon's latest and greatest was the D60, and I had no
regrets at all. But technology moves on, and Sigma (apparently) haven't.

> Many of the SD9 and 10 images I've seen are quite as good as most
> Canon/Nikon etc. images of the 10D era. (eg: 99% of images taken with
> these cameras don't come close to the ability of the camera... ;-) )

Indeed :-)

--
John Bean

Reminds me of my safari in Africa. Somebody forgot the corkscrew and for
several days we had to live on nothing but food and water (W. C. Fields)
Anonymous
April 28, 2005 4:26:24 AM

G Bolton wrote:
> Without starting a flame war here, I am wondering at the lack of
> comentary on the Pentax Digital SLR's in this group. Is the Pentax
> that bad? that under represented? Or are the Canon and Nikon DSLR's
> just that much better/widespread? Are the Pentax guys underground or
> in another group?
>
> I own none yet, so feedback is welcome, but I couldn't help
> wondering...
>
> thanks
I own a Pentax *ist D and am very happy with it. As mentioned in a previous
post, Pentax has been a late bloomer in the DSLR market which is probably
one of the reasons you see more information on Canon, Nikon, etc. There are
a lot of reviews about all of the major brands and so far I think all of
their pros and cons.

I went to the camera stores and tried a lot of them and was very impressed
by all of the other major DSLR brands. However my decision to buy Pentax
was based on the fact most of my camera lens and equipment was Pentax.

Anyhow my 2 cents worth.
Anonymous
April 28, 2005 5:03:14 AM

Frank ess wrote:
> *PS: Seems to me *ist is pronounced "pist", based on the asterisk-like
> shape of the lips when forming a "p". Don't be *issed.

How /is/ it pronounced? It's something I've wondered about. I've been
pronouncing it "a-star-ist" (asterisk).
Anonymous
April 28, 2005 5:03:15 AM

Randy W. Sims <RandyS@ThePierianSpring.org> wrote:

> Frank ess wrote:
> > *PS: Seems to me *ist is pronounced "pist", based on the asterisk-like
> > shape of the lips when forming a "p". Don't be *issed.
>
> How /is/ it pronounced? It's something I've wondered about. I've been
> pronouncing it "a-star-ist" (asterisk).

It's supposed to be the suffix '-ist,' like one who performs an '-ism.'

Yes, that's a file wildcard in the name of a camera product. :-)
Anonymous
April 28, 2005 5:19:42 AM

> I do the best I can. Thanks for whatever help you can offer. I
> have long had (read quite old at this point) pentax SLR's for my VERY
> casual shooting, so when I begin to research DSLR's I am puzzled by the
> severe lack of comentary. Thus, my question(s).

I suspect under represented is the way of it... Have you paid a visit to the
Pentax DSLR web forum on dpreview.com?

I considered buying an istDS a few months ago... I owned an old Pentax ME
SLR before I got into digital... in the end I went with the 20D as I didn't
want to wait the extra couple months for the istDS... but I've heard from
the afore-mentioned forum that people like the IST just fine. Pentax just
don't seem to market in the same frenetic way that Canon and Nikon do...

Al...
Anonymous
April 28, 2005 5:19:43 AM

"Alan Adrian" <ara__@SPAMNOT.wanadoo.nl> wrote in message

> Pentax just don't seem to market in the same frenetic way that Canon and
Nikon do...

http://www.pentaximaging.com/world_of_pentax/official_d...
sp

I think that this sums up Pentax's marketing expertise!
Anonymous
April 28, 2005 5:30:25 AM

G Bolton wrote:

> Without starting a flame war here, I am wondering at the lack of comentary
> on the Pentax Digital SLR's in this group. Is the Pentax that bad? that
> under represented? Or are the Canon and Nikon DSLR's just that much
> better/widespread? Are the Pentax guys underground or in another group?
>
> I own none yet, so feedback is welcome, but I couldn't help wondering...
>
> thanks

I have an *IST-D and am very happy with it. The old Takumar lenses I own made
the purchase a no brainer. The ring adapter lets me use either K mount OR screw
mount lenses. It's bliss.

mike
Anonymous
April 28, 2005 10:11:53 AM

"G Bolton" <boltongregg@hotmail.com> wrote
> Without starting a flame war here, I am wondering at the lack of comentary
> on the Pentax Digital SLR's in this group.

Canon and Nikon share about 95% of the DSLR market. Konica-Minolta,
Olympus, Pentax, et al share the remaining 5%. The number of Pentax posts
vs. Canon and Nikon posts is representative of their market share, not the
quality of their product.
April 28, 2005 10:13:11 AM

wrote:

>Without starting a flame war here, I am wondering at the lack of comentary
>on the Pentax Digital SLR's in this group. Is the Pentax that bad? that
>under represented? Or are the Canon and Nikon DSLR's just that much
>better/widespread? Are the Pentax guys underground or in another group?
>
>I own none yet, so feedback is welcome, but I couldn't help wondering...
>
>thanks

I have an ist Ds and I am very happy with it. I looked at Canon and
Nikon, thought I would get a Canon. I was prepared to ditch my old
lenses when I switched over to Canon, and then Pentax came out with
the ist Ds which is better than the ist D. That clinched it.

I have been very happy with the camera.

Glenn
Anonymous
April 28, 2005 12:52:05 PM

"G Bolton" <boltongregg@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> Without starting a flame war here, I am wondering at the lack of comentary
> on the Pentax Digital SLR's in this group. Is the Pentax that bad? that
> under represented? Or are the Canon and Nikon DSLR's just that much
> better/widespread? Are the Pentax guys underground or in another group?

I have two *ist D bodies. It's an excellent camera. People are infatuated
with Canon and Nikon because they think the name makes the camera. I shoot
sports with my *ist Ds, even though the burst rate is not as impressive as a
low-end Canon or Nikon. But for sports, it's all in your timing and
knowledge of the sport you're shooting. Pentax just doesn't spend millions
of dollars on advertising.
Anonymous
April 28, 2005 12:56:02 PM

"Steven M. Scharf" <scharf.steven@linkearth.net> wrote in message
>> Nikon d70/Canon 20D are much better than the *ist... Why?
>
> See http://digitalslrinfo.com

What exactly are we supposed to be seeing that shows the Nikons and Canons
are much better than the *ist D?
Anonymous
April 28, 2005 12:56:55 PM

"Randy W. Sims" <RandyS@ThePierianSpring.org> wrote in message
> Frank ess wrote:
>> *PS: Seems to me *ist is pronounced "pist", based on the asterisk-like
>> shape of the lips when forming a "p". Don't be *issed.
>
> How /is/ it pronounced? It's something I've wondered about. I've been
> pronouncing it "a-star-ist" (asterisk).

"Ist-Dee."
Anonymous
April 28, 2005 1:09:41 PM

> "Alan Adrian" <ara__@SPAMNOT.wanadoo.nl> wrote in message
>
>> Pentax just don't seem to market in the same frenetic way that Canon and
> Nikon do...
>
> http://www.pentaximaging.com/world_of_pentax/official_d...
> sp
>
> I think that this sums up Pentax's marketing expertise!

OMG is that true?????
Anonymous
April 28, 2005 1:11:10 PM

>G Bolton <boltongregg@*hotmail.com> wrote:
>>
>>Thank you for the heads-up. I will check out some of the "other"
>>forums.
>

> Try the forums at DPReview.com:
>
> http://www.dpreview.com/forums/

Also at www.shuttertalk.com where no one cares much what sort of camera you
use but are just happy that you are using it. :)
Anonymous
April 28, 2005 1:14:19 PM

"Paul Mitchum" <usenet@mile23.c0m> wrote in message
> Steven M. Scharf <scharf.steven@linkearth.net> wrote:
>
>> The Pentax istD and istDs are okay, but they are not nearly as good as
>> the
>> Nikon D70, Canon EOS-350, or Canon 20D, so few people buy them.
>
> <chortle>

I think someone must have smacked him in the mouth with a Spotmatic F or a
KM. LOL
Anonymous
April 28, 2005 2:01:05 PM

Randy W. Sims wrote:

> How /is/ it pronounced? It's something I've wondered about. I've been
> pronouncing it "a-star-ist" (asterisk).

"star-ist" I believe. Which is fine in english ... in French is it
"Etoile-ist"?

-- e-meil: Remove FreeLunch.
Anonymous
April 28, 2005 3:09:42 PM

"Steven M. Scharf" <scharf.steven@linkearth.net> wrote:

>Canon currently has around 65% of the digital SLR market, and Nikon has
>around 33%. This adds up to 98%. What part of that is misleading?

The fact that it is not true.

Where on earth did you get those figures?
Anonymous
April 28, 2005 3:09:43 PM

Tony Polson wrote:

> "Steven M. Scharf" <scharf.steven@linkearth.net> wrote:
>

>>Canon currently has around 65% of the digital SLR market, and Nikon has
>>around 33%. This adds up to 98%. What part of that is misleading?
>

> The fact that it is not true.

So what are your 'facts' that prove it's not true? I agree that Steven
is blowing wind ( "... has around...") but if you're so certain Tony,
you must have some relaiable figures?

Cheers,
Alan

-- e-meil: Remove FreeLunch.
Anonymous
April 28, 2005 3:27:09 PM

> "Steven M. Scharf" <scharf.steven@linkearth.net> wrote:
>
>>Canon currently has around 65% of the digital SLR market, and Nikon has
>>around 33%. This adds up to 98%. What part of that is misleading?
>

> The fact that it is not true.
>
> Where on earth did you get those figures?

He makes them up of couse, same as most statistics, 72% are made up on the
spot.
April 28, 2005 5:35:29 PM

Perfectly happy with my *istDs, it' a real joy to use it. I switched to
digital because my old Canon AE-1 finally retired, I loved it too. What I
want is a camera that does the job. I am always surprised at this fighting
about brands... When I indulge in a bottle of wine, I don't really care what
the label says so long as I enjoy myself!
Regards,
Jean.

"G Bolton" <boltongregg@hotmail.com> a écrit dans le message de
> Without starting a flame war here, I am wondering at the lack of comentary
> on the Pentax Digital SLR's in this group. Is the Pentax that bad? that
> under represented? Or are the Canon and Nikon DSLR's just that much
> better/widespread? Are the Pentax guys underground or in another group?
>
> I own none yet, so feedback is welcome, but I couldn't help wondering...
>
> thanks
Anonymous
April 28, 2005 7:22:21 PM

"jfitz" <jfitz@bigfoot.com> wrote in message
> "G Bolton" <boltongregg@hotmail.com> wrote
> > Without starting a flame war here, I am wondering at the lack of
comentary
> > on the Pentax Digital SLR's in this group.
>
> Canon and Nikon share about 95% of the DSLR market.

This was for 2004. The estimates for 2005 are around 66-67% for Canon, and
31-32% for Nikon.
Anonymous
April 28, 2005 7:23:34 PM

"JD" <no.spam.jdon@wanadoo.fr> wrote in message
> Perfectly happy with my *istDs, it' a real joy to use it. I switched to
> digital because my old Canon AE-1 finally retired, I loved it too. What I
> want is a camera that does the job. I am always surprised at this fighting
> about brands.

It is not a discussion of brands, it is discussion of models.
Anonymous
April 28, 2005 7:44:29 PM

Pete D wrote:

> So little difference as to be negligible.

A 25% difference is not negligible.

> > 2. Lower noise sensor
>
> That's a bloody big magnifying glass you are using there.

Huh? It's at the higher ISO speeds where noise is an issue, not the
lower speeds.

> > 3. Faster USB
>
> Who the hell uses USB, most earlier release cameras also have USB 1.1

Yes, most older cameras do only have 1.1. And actually, a lot of people
use USB, since it's included with the camera, versus buying a card
reader.

> > 2. Li-Ion battery and charger versus AAs
>
> Ah yes a good one, AA's are so much better and versatile.

The advantage to AA's is that you can buy some alkalines in a pinch.
The disadvantages are many. First, they have a lower power to
weight/size ratio than Li-Ion. Second, they have a much shorter shelf
life than Li-Ion. Third, they are less reliable. Fourth, it is more of
a hassle to be dealing with four batteries versus one, when swapping
batteries.

> > 3. CF versus SD
>
> So what.

Not a terribly big deal unless you want to shoot raw, and buy the very
high capacity memory cards that don't exist in SD.

> > 4. No vertical grip available
>
> Who cares.

Just because you don't need one or want one, don't assume that everyone
has the same needs. Most people don't realize, until they try one, just
how useful a vertical grip is. At least with the *istD you have one
available.

> > 5. No continuous auto-focus
>
> Lies, nothing but lies. You are an evil troll Steven.

Surely you can do better than that. But I suppose not.
Anonymous
April 28, 2005 7:50:25 PM

> johnf@panix.com (John Francis) wrote in
> news:D 4or4r$p6u$1@reader1.panix.com:
>
>> In article <Xns96459E51678C3boltongregg@24.24.2.165>,
>> G Bolton <boltongregg@hotmail.com> wrote:
>>>Without starting a flame war here, I am wondering at the lack of
>>>comentary on the Pentax Digital SLR's in this group.
>>
>> There are a few Pentax owners here. Lack of commentary would seem
>> to imply lack of complaints, rather than the Pentax being a bad
>> camera.
>>

> A similar point was made by someone else. I like the idea.
>
>> The Canons and Nikons are definitely more widespread. And, as you
>> have noticed, they do tend to dominate this group, which can be a
>> self-perpetuating situation; owners of other brands may find the
>> number of posts they care about quite low here, so they seek other
>> forums (dpreview, mailing lists, etc.).
>>

> Thank you for the heads-up. I will check out some of the "other"
> forums.

I own the *ist D and love it. There really aren't a lot of Pentax DSLR users
here and we really (at least IMO) don't have a lot to bitch about. DSLRs are
a personal preference thing anyway and most all of them are good and
reliable today. I have used Pentax SLRs since the 60s so when the *istD was
released it was a natural move for me. I have always liked the feel of my
film cameras and the 'D' was almost exactly the same as the film boxes.
Pentax has always made slightly smaller boxes than Canon and Nikon and many
Pentax film SLR users get used to that feel. I also have a lot of 'KA' glass
and that is a HUGE plus for me. The AE mode works seamlessly with the *ist
D. I don't use it a lot, but when I need a fast shot I can rely on it
working just fine. I rarely use AF anyway, but I did buy one WA zoom with
the D. Like I said, buying a DSLR is pretty much a personal thing and as far
as brands go they are all good for the most part today. If you have been a
Pentax film SLR user you will find the transition to digital, at least with
the *ist D as I have not shot with the DS, is almost seamless. I did go to
the local camera store and held the D and the DS and the DS just didn't
"feel" right for me. Hard to explain really. The DS is a bit lighter than
the DS especially with the battery pack and vertical grip/shutter release
installed on the D. If you can, go to a shop and try them and see which
feels right for you. Try the other brands too as you may like them. The
final product is so close with all the major DSLRs so the main issue IMO is
what YOU like.

Ed
Anonymous
April 28, 2005 8:33:34 PM

> The Pentax istD and istDs are okay, but they are not nearly as good as
the
> Nikon D70, Canon EOS-350, or Canon 20D, so few people buy them.

I'd say the real reasons they arne't as popular are:

1) Pentax entered the game late
2) Pentax doesn't have the marketing budget or expertise of Canon or
Nikon
3) Not as many people have Pentax lenses they want to use on digital
cameras

Of course, it doesn't help that people expresses subjective opinions
like yours above as if they respresented some sort of Truth, and others
are only too willing buy into this ("well, I don't hear much talk about
the Pentax cameras, so I guess he must be right").

--------------
Marc Sabatella
marc@outsideshore.com

The Outside Shore
Music, art, & educational materials:
http://www.outsideshore.com/
Anonymous
April 28, 2005 8:35:49 PM

"Ryan Robbins" <redbird007@verizon.net> wrote in message

> What exactly are we supposed to be seeing that shows the Nikons and Canons
> are much better than the *ist D?

Comparing the Canon EOS-350D to the Pentax istD:

Canon's advantages:

1. Higher resolution
2. Lower noise sensor
3. Faster USB
4. Li-Ion battery and charger versus AAs

Comparing the Canon EOS-300D to the Pentax istDs:

1. Lower noise sensor
2. Li-Ion battery and charger versus AAs
3. CF versus SD
4. No vertical grip available
5. No continuous auto-focus

On the plus side for the Pentax models, is that some people like the greater
viewfinder magnification.

The D70 is actually not all that much better than the *istD, the only real
feature advantage is the Li-Ion battery.
Anonymous
April 28, 2005 9:00:11 PM

> > What exactly are we supposed to be seeing that shows the Nikons and
Canons
> > are much better than the *ist D?
>
> Comparing the Canon EOS-350D to the Pentax istD:
>
> Canon's advantages:
>
> 1. Higher resolution
> 2. Lower noise sensor
> 3. Faster USB
> 4. Li-Ion battery and charger versus AAs

No one disputes the higher resolution. I have no way of judging the
sensor noise, but many people *prefer* AA over proprietary batteries.
And basing a camera buying decision on USB speed is like basing a car
buying decision on door handle aesthetics. What about concerns like
ease of use (itself a huge subject with lots of room for both objective
and subjective criteria), focusing performance, image quality issues
*other* than resolution or noise, etc? Not that all of these are
objectively measurable either, or that they all come out in Pentax'
favor. But presenting the above list as if it definitively proved the
superiority of the Canon is not very impressive.

> The D70 is actually not all that much better than the *istD, the only
real
> feature advantage is the Li-Ion battery.

That's a *disadvantage* to me and many others. Of course, I'm sure the
D70 has other real advantages - I was rather tempted by the focusing
performance and quality & range of the kit lens, personally. But put
off by the size/weight and difference in price (DS here, not D).

--------------
Marc Sabatella
marc@outsideshore.com

The Outside Shore
Music, art, & educational materials:
http://www.outsideshore.com/
Anonymous
April 28, 2005 9:00:12 PM

Marc Sabatella wrote:
>>> What exactly are we supposed to be seeing that shows the Nikons
>>> and
>>> Canons are much better than the *ist D?
>>
>> Comparing the Canon EOS-350D to the Pentax istD:
>>
>> Canon's advantages:
>>
>> 1. Higher resolution
>> 2. Lower noise sensor
>> 3. Faster USB
>> 4. Li-Ion battery and charger versus AAs
>
> No one disputes the higher resolution. I have no way of judging the
> sensor noise, but many people *prefer* AA over proprietary
> batteries.
> And basing a camera buying decision on USB speed is like basing a
> car
> buying decision on door handle aesthetics. What about concerns like
> ease of use (itself a huge subject with lots of room for both
> objective and subjective criteria), focusing performance, image
> quality issues *other* than resolution or noise, etc? Not that all
> of these are objectively measurable either, or that they all come
> out
> in Pentax' favor. But presenting the above list as if it
> definitively proved the superiority of the Canon is not very
> impressive.
>
>> The D70 is actually not all that much better than the *istD, the
>> only real feature advantage is the Li-Ion battery.
>
> That's a *disadvantage* to me and many others. Of course, I'm sure
> the D70 has other real advantages - I was rather tempted by the
> focusing performance and quality & range of the kit lens,
> personally.
> But put off by the size/weight and difference in price (DS here, not
> D).

Every camera purchase is a gamble. Every purchaser must weigh the
chances and aspects that are important. No camera is perfect for any
particular purchaser, I bet. I bet that I will not be left stranded by
my choice, either in terms of current function or future needs.

One of the principal reasons I bought a "battery grip" for my
selection was that it seems more likely to me I'll be able to find AA
cells (that the grip accepts) in out-of-the-way places or distant
future circumstances. Not that lack of AA-capability would be a
deal-breaker, but it lets me hedge my bet a little. That makes three
of the last four cameras I've bought that 'required' purchase of an
optional accessory for me to rest easy. And one of the three ain't
looking that good in that respect.

--
Frank ess
Anonymous

> > > 2. Li-Ion battery and charger versus AAs
> >
> > Ah yes a good one, AA's are so much better and versatile.
>
> The advantage to AA's is that you can buy some alkalines in a pinch.
> The disadvantages are many. First, they have a lower power to
> weight/size ratio than Li-Ion. Second, they have a much shorter shelf
> life than Li-Ion. Third, they are less reliable. Fourth, it is more of
> a hassle to be dealing with four batteries versus one, when swapping
> batteries.

And I could give a similar litany of disadvantages of proprietary
batteries. This is pretty much the very definition of *subjective*.

> don't assume that everyone
> has the same needs.

Good advice. This applies also to batteries and to very many of the
things that might actually matter to many people that didn't make your
lists.

--------------
Marc Sabatella
marc@outsideshore.com

The Outside Shore
Music, art, & educational materials:
http://www.outsideshore.com/
Anonymous
April 28, 2005 9:35:42 PM

In article <LP1ce.31867$5F3.16623@news-server.bigpond.net.au>,
Pete D <no@email.com> wrote:

>"Paul Mitchum" <usenet@mile23.c0m> wrote in message
>> Steven M. Scharf <scharf.steven@linkearth.net> wrote:
>>
>>> The Pentax istD and istDs are okay, but they are not nearly as good as
>>> the
>>> Nikon D70, Canon EOS-350, or Canon 20D, so few people buy them.
>>
>> <chortle>
>
>I think someone must have smacked him in the mouth with a Spotmatic F or a
>KM. LOL

Bear in mind that he regards using a proprietary, expensive battery
as a plus (so the Pentax cameras, which use off-the-shelf batteries,
get scored down for this). Reverse that weighting, and it's a great
deal less plain - in fact the Pentax probably outscores the D70.

As for the Canons - it depends on how much you care about that extra
two megapixels, at least as far as the 350D is concerned. Without
that (and, or course, the battery issue), it's a much closer thing.

If the 20D is in your price bracket (which is quite a step up from
the price of the istD), Canon do have a clear advantage in a lot of
areas. The 20D has a much better in-the-hand feel than either its
predecessor (the 10D) or its main rivals. Couple it with a decent
USM/IS lens such as the 17-85 and you've got a very nice walking-
around camera. The USM focussing is fast (and silent), and if you
habitually use the review screen to check your images you'll find
the Canon gets an image onto the screen much, much faster. And
while the image size in the 20D's viewfinder still isn't as large
as that in the Pentax (an issue if you use manual focus), you no
longer have the feeling of peering down a tunnel that exists with
the 300D - in day-to-day use you'll rarely notice the difference.
(There again, in day-to-day use you'll rarely encounter any shot
where the slightly slower AF of the Pentax cameras is a problem.)
April 28, 2005 9:40:47 PM

> It is not a discussion of brands, it is discussion of models.

Nikon, Pentax, Canon are brands, not models as far as I know!
Jean.
Anonymous
April 28, 2005 11:08:29 PM

Tony Polson <tp@nospam.net> wrote in