Hd issue on boot-up?

gymscat

Distinguished
Oct 26, 2001
Hi all,
I recently installed a new hd on a Win 2000 system. When I do a cold boot, I get a "can't find an operating" system error. When I reboot it starts up fine.
Here's what MAY have happened:
I originally intended my new drive to be a master and my older and smaller drive to be set up as a slave and set the jumpers as such on the new drive.
After installing it (it was kinda like microsurgery with the way the case is set up), I decided not to bother to install the slave after all.
With the jumpers set as they are would that cause that boot up message?
If so I'll set the jumper for no slave at all.
Thanks for any advice

Gary

Lars_Coleman

Distinguished
Feb 9, 2001
Try it and see. The jumper settings and the BIOS settings have a lot to do with it. Set it so it's a Master w/ no slave installed and see if that takes care of the problem.

I would also make sure that the <font color=green>Primary Master</font color=green> is set to <font color=blue>Auto</font color=blue> in the BIOS with <font color=red>LBA</font color=red> enabled. I would also Make sure that the <font color=green>Primary slave</font color=green> (if there isn't one) is set to <font color=blue>None</font color=blue> or <font color=red>Not Installed</font color=red>.

<font color=red>1GHz AMD x MSI K7T-Turbo x 512MB PC133 x 2-Maxtor 30GB/RAID 0 = Stream Line Butterfly</font color=red>