Honorable
Oct 5, 2012
My build is
i7 3770k
asrock z77 extreme3
radeon hd 7950
seasonic 750W 80gold
benq gw2250

One of the problem is, I cant find intel hd 4000 anywhere on my device manager.
After I finished building my computer, I had to connect my monitor using VGA cable (came with benq gw2250) and use a VGA to DVI converter and attached to my DVI on HD 7950. When I try to connect the monitor to the motherboard, I get no signal!

The other problem is, when I play games (I only tested sleeping dogs, hitman, and dota2) I get horizontal hazy lines with minor flickering. When I watch video or do anything else, it looks crisp and clear.

I searched online, could be a problem with GPU or monitor..
I was gonna try and use the built in intel hd 4000 on this monitor to see if the problem would go away... but like I said, I couldnt find the device. I even downloaded intel hd graphics divers and I got an error saying my computer is not compatible.

The monitor flickering could be a result of poor VGA to DVI converter. The converter is actually really old(~7 years old?), so I don't know if the old converter is causing the distortion while playing games.

What would you recommend?
Buy a new VGA-DVI converter, or RMA the monitor, gpu, or motherboard?

Solution
Yes, you very much need a dvi cable. I would assume that that's probably what's causing the flickering.

I don't know the layout of that BIOS, but should be somewhere in the motherboard system settings. There should be a place where you can enable and disable onboard things like usb, sound card, video card, etc.

flexxar

Honorable
Oct 6, 2012
How is it that you have a i7 3770k and are still using a monitor that uses vga? That must be an ancient monitor. DVI is significantly better quality. You need a monitor that can handle DVI.

Your hd4000 probably needs to be turned on in your motherboard bios before you can see it in device manager.

To get rid of the flicker, you need to turn on the v-sync option either in your game graphics options or your catalyst driver options if there is none n the game

nociception

Honorable
Oct 5, 2012
The monitor uses both VGA and DVI. The box just came with VGA cable.

Vsync did not remove the horizontal lines.

Do you recommend I buy a DVI cable?

I also tried to go into asrock BIOS, but I couldn't find a way to enable intel hd 4000. Any tips?

flexxar

Honorable
Oct 6, 2012
Yes, you very much need a dvi cable. I would assume that that's probably what's causing the flickering.

I don't know the layout of that BIOS, but should be somewhere in the motherboard system settings. There should be a place where you can enable and disable onboard things like usb, sound card, video card, etc.

Solution

nociception

Honorable
Oct 5, 2012
Okay let me go on bios again.

Should I get DVI-I or DVI-D?
the connection to my motherboard supports DVI-D (no holes above and below the horizontal pin) but my GPU has the 4 holes on top and bottom of the horizontal pin. Should I go with DVI-D cable for the most compatibility?

flexxar

Honorable
Oct 6, 2012
So I actually had to go refresh myself on that. So DVI-I (Interlaced) is a cable that has wires in it for both digital and analog (explains why you could hook your vga to it). DVI-D (Digital) is just the wires required for the digital signal.

http://www.differencebetween.net/technology/difference-between-dvi-i-and-dvi-d/

dvi-i wires will not fit in dvi-d sockets, but dvi-d will fit in dvi-i sockets. I would pick up a dvi-d cable because it is probably cheaper, you can use it in your motherboard socket if need be, and you have no need for the analog wires.

nociception

Honorable
Oct 5, 2012
I checked every option on the asrock UEFI but I couldnt find any intel hd 4000. I saw northernbridge option and it was set to PCI-E and not PCI.
Any other suggestions for getting Intel HD 4000 to work?

Be back in a bit, going to pick up the cables and test it.

MKBL

Splendid
Nov 17, 2011
On the BIOS, it's most likely not listed as "HD4000" try to find "IGP" and set it on. Maybe under Peripherals or something like that.

I wonder why you want to use HD 4000 when you have discrete graphics card. Intel's internal graphics is for light application such as video play, casual gaming, and light transcoding, when your PC doesn't have a graphics card like your HD 7950, but not for main stream gaming or heavy transcoding. I used to tinker with HD 2000 for a while just for curiosity, but now I leave it off. It's almost useless feature, at least for now.

make sure bios is updated to rev 1.2 to turn both video chipsets on it in the bios.
IGPU Multi-Moniter
This allows you to enable or disable IGPU Multi-Moniter. The default value
is [Enabled]. If you install the PCI Express card under Windows® XP /
VistaTM OS, please disable this option.
also you need the intel video chipset driver for the cpu. 3 gen video chipset.