DOS & Firewire

EndUser

Distinguished
Feb 2, 2001
Ok, I knew firewire was Apple's invention so I should not be shocked. But, I got a couple external firewire HD's for backup storage on various computers running Win2K Pro. No problem till I tried to use PowerQuest Drive Image 5.0 to make disk images. Drive Image uses DOS and DOS does not recognize firewire! PowerQuest Tech support has posted a note that Firewire is not supported on their web site (Nothing about firewire not being supported on the box). Any one know how to get DOS to recognize firewire HD? I am using an Adaptec duo connect firewire 1394 and usb 2 card, but Adaptec tech support reply was that device support under DOS is not their problem.

<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by enduser on 12/07/01 08:04 AM.</EM></FONT></P>

Lars_Coleman

Distinguished
Feb 9, 2001
You basically need dos drivers (from Adaptec), or you would need the BIOS on the machine to support FireWire/1394. As of now my BIOS on my P4 and my AMD support USB in DOS mode, so who knows how long it will take for 1394.

1394 is what we PC users should call it. The fun Mac lovers call it FireWire. Kinda like Mac users calling it Airport and we call it 802.11B.

I have a work around if you want to try. Put the image you get from Powerquest on another drive and move the image to the hard drive for storage. You won't be able to restore the image to the drive from there but at least you can use it for storage.

Also DOS is considered an Operating system. Or at least was an Operating System. Most likely the system requirements only specified Windows 98 SE, Windows Millennium, Windows 2000 and/or Windows XP.

<font color=red>1GHz AMD x MSI K7T-Turbo x 512MB PC133 x 2-Maxtor 30GB/RAID 0 = Stream Line Butterfly</font color=red>

EndUser

Distinguished
Feb 2, 2001
PowerQuest Drive Image requires DOS to make or restore images. Drive Images reboots the computer to Caldera Dr-DOS to do its work, this avoids the error of trying to copy a portion of the disk that Windows is using. It makes a virtual floppy to use for the reboot or you can use real floppies. Thus, my request for a 1394 device driver that I could add to the virtual floppy. I tried using the Win2K drivers, ohci1394.sys & 1394bus.sys, both written by Microsoft, under Dr-DOS but no luck.

My work around is to use PowerQuest PartionMagic 7.0 to divide my EIDE HD into two partions. Then I can use Drive Image to make the backup onto the new partion. Reboot. Copy the backup image to the 1394 HD. Then delete the data on the new partion so I can use PartionMagic to merge my EIDE HD back to one partion. This works only because I have the space on the EIDE HD. Bill Gates claims DOS is dead, so my best hope is 1394 support at the BIOS level.

<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by enduser on 12/07/01 08:29 AM.</EM></FONT></P>