Long time until POST, GPU Problems

brreaker

Distinguished
Oct 15, 2012
First of all, hello! It's my first post here, I tried searching around yet I found nothing that managed to solve my problem.
First of all, my pc is homebuilt, I can't say I have a lot of experience with building PCs but I am not really a starter; my problem is that after dismembering the PC and putting it back together, my GPU doesn't work anymore. Now, when I start the computer, it takes up to 10 seconds to reach the POST, so the fans start spinning (PSU, CPU and GPU), however the CPU one spins slower until POST; after about 10 seconds, it gets the POST and boots the OS (in this case, Windows 7 32 bit);anyway, this tends to happen only after the PC has been shut down for longer than a couple of hours (so most likely after the capacitors are empty).
Now, I also seem to have problems with my memory sticks, but I couldn't find any solution to that but replace them, haven't had the funds yet. Anyway, if I remove one of the memory sticks, sometimes it POSTs faster, sometimes it doesn't, so I'm really unable to tell if it's because of the RAM or not. I have an integrated GPU card, BIOS seems to put the image right on that one, without actually trying to send the image to the PCI-E one. I have had problems with this GPU before, however by for example removing the memory sticks and letting the GPU on, hearing the beeps, then installing them one by one, I was able to get the image back on the PCI-E card. I tried this again, no result. I removed the GPU card and cleaned it carefully and using an air blower I cleaned the socket as well. I think I should add that the safety mechanism of the PCI-E doesn't really keep my card in place, being able to wiggle it in the socket left-right with lot of ease (yes, before adding the screw).
My motherboard doesn't allow me to completely turn off the integrated graphic card, it only lets me set a priority (in this case, the priority is set to PCI-E -> PCI -> IGP );
I tried resetting the CMOS and using the default values. After a random restart, I could see the GPU in the Windows Device Manager, however after another restart it was gone for good (can't see it anymore, no hardware scanners can see it either). The GPU fan is spinning, the GPU itself is warming up.
My PC configuration:

CPU: AMD Athlon II x2 245 (Dual Core) 2.9 GHZ
RAM: 1x 2GB DDR3 1333 666 MHZ & 1x 1GB DDR3 1333 666 MHZ
HDD: WDC WD50 00AAKS-00UU3 SCSI 500GB 16 MB buffer
GPU: Zotag GT 220 1GB DDR3 (Not sure about the DDR, but I think it's 3)
Monitor : VideoSeven
Mobo: Asus M4N68T-M
PSU: TACENS RADIX IV-450W

And a last question, does it really matter if I don't have all the screws holding the MB on the case?
Any help is highly appreciated! Thank you in advance!

xunicronx

Distinguished
Nov 2, 2007
You may have damaged your graphics card from electrostatic discharge. Do you have another power supply you can use or borrow? Your power supply seems a little suspect as I have never heard of that brand before.

brreaker

Distinguished
Oct 15, 2012
First of all, thank you for your reply. No, I haven't been able to find another PSU, however it passed all tests (paperclip and measurements) and never seemed to underpower my system; I tried to keep all the parts as far away from static electricity as possible, however, as I don't have another GPU I can't be sure if that is the problem; again, thank you for your time!

Later Edit: Now I ran into another problem, I tried removing both RAM sticks (of course, turning of power, emptying capacitors, etc) and now I don't get any post with both RAM sticks (I have to remove one of them in order for the pc to POST). It's not just quiet, before posting, it constantly increases (like when it POSTs) and decreases the CPU Fan speed over and over.

Well of course you MUST HAVE RAM in your PC for it to turn on. Its one of the basic necessary components to a computer.

brreaker

Distinguished
Oct 15, 2012

I'm sorry, but not really. If the RAM sticks aren't installed and you turn it on, usually you should hear three beeps. My problem was that AFTER putting them back I had no POST.
Now, I think it might be the fault of that capacitor, hit it by mistake with the PSU cable and my pc wouldn't turn on anymore (just a stroke of electricity would go, spin the fans of the GPU and CPU just a little and then turn off) and after managing to put it back in place, my PCI Sound card is not there anymore, the PC simply refuses to see it... I switched it into another PCI slot, same thing;

No ram installed and you still get no post but only beeps... explain to me how RAM is not necessary in that situation since you seem to know soo much. go ahead tell me

brreaker

Distinguished
Oct 15, 2012

I am not willing to start a fight on the forums. If you felt offended by any of my replies, I apologize. You said RAM memory was necesary for the PC to start, they are necesary for the POST, not for the start. This was my whole point. Again, I'm sorry if you felt offended by my replies.

Later Edit: Also, the point of my post wasn't to ask why my PC won't POST without RAM, but why it won't POST after putting back the RAM.

Ill just give you my two cents and no i don't have any intentions on starting a argument here i just felt you should ask for help them come in talking to the person giving info like you know WAY more than he does unless you figured out the issue which you obviously have not.NOW i think your issue is the PCI Express lane on your motherboard. Your is obviously gettingthe basic power needs to run but its not making a connectivity with the pins in the lane and the pins on the card itself.

brreaker

Distinguished
Oct 15, 2012
I storngly believe that that condenser has something to do with all of it... I couldn't start the PC for a couple of hours, the condenser had a cold point, it moved freely in and out, I managed to get it in a position to start the PC, finally...I tried cleaning the PCI-E Socket... For some reason I tend to believe that my whole MB is going faulty..