Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question
Solved

Is this a good time to upgrade your computer?

Last response: in Systems
Share
December 5, 2012 9:03:27 PM

Was just wondering. Was thinking of getting really good gear, like the Rampage V for my rig.
But then I saw some articles on Intel BGA transitions and the introduction of the new AMD cpu line. Also
the 8000 series might be coming out soon, prob q1 of 2013. So my question is, should I upgrade my rig
right now or wait for the new stuff. Or, what should parts should I buy now, and what parts should I wait for.
Reason being that I don't usually upgrade the rig, only every 4-5 years.
a b B Homebuilt system
December 5, 2012 9:27:12 PM

It's really hard to say if its a good time or not. I must admit I'm kind of afraid of the BGA socket that Intel has let on they would do. Mainly getting forced into a motherboard+cpu. However socket 2011 still has ivy bridge cpu's due to launch at some point which will remain a socket design. I feel the processors out now are plenty powerful for what people are typically doing gaming wise. A 3570k will get people through a while.

The 8000 series may be delayed to Q2 which will probably be around the same time NVIDIA drops there cards to the 700 series.
http://www.techspot.com/news/50975-amd-radeon-hd-8000-s...

What is your current setup?
m
0
l
December 5, 2012 9:35:06 PM

Currently my rig is pretty bad. Really out-dated specs.

Here's the system info from dxdiag.
Operating System: Windows 8 Enterprise N 64-bit (6.2, Build 9200) (9200.win8_gdr.121023-1503)
Card name: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 260
Language: English (Regional Setting: English)
System Manufacturer: Gigabyte Technology Co., Ltd.
System Model: P35-DS3L
BIOS: Award Modular BIOS v6.00PG
Processor: Intel(R) Core(TM)2 Duo CPU E6550 @ 2.33GHz (2 CPUs), ~2.3GHz
Memory: 4096MB RAM
Available OS Memory: 4094MB RAM
Page File: 2419MB used, 2954MB available
Windows Dir: C:\Windows
DirectX Version: DirectX 11
DX Setup Parameters: Not found
User DPI Setting: Using System DPI
System DPI Setting: 96 DPI (100 percent)
DWM DPI Scaling: Disabled
DxDiag Version: 6.02.9200.16384 64bit Unicode

If anything, I could get everything but the video card. The 260 can last me until q2 of 2013. Right now the cpu is so slow that it's bottlenecking my gpu badly.
m
0
l
Related resources
a b B Homebuilt system
December 5, 2012 10:06:13 PM

Yea about a year ago I upgraded to my current i5 2500k. I upgrade from a core 2 duo E6750 a good cpu for its time but you will see loads of change upgrading to something like a 3570k. I don't necessarily think you need a ROG board from ASUS unless you intend to do some really off the wall overclocking. I think now is the perfect time for you to upgrade with what you have. With things on sale around the holidays it may be a good time.


In the future you can maybe use cpu-z ;)  its easier to look at :p  then dxdiag. If you click my signature it will show my configuration kinda of cool.
m
0
l
December 6, 2012 12:17:22 AM

Alright so Im definitely getting the 3570k, but I'm not sure if I should go for a 1155 board or a 2011 board. I don't want the same experience as I am having right now where as soon as my board was upgraded, everyone changed to 1155 leaving me to upgrade the whole computer even though it was only the CPU that was bottlenecking me.

Yeah missed out on the black friday/november deals because I was too busy. Hopefully there are some really good ones, or better, during christmas time :) 
m
0
l
a b B Homebuilt system
December 6, 2012 1:58:19 AM

Well if you get a 3570k you will be getting a 1155 board if you go with the 2011 platform more then likely the i7 3920 the better option of the 2 is the 3570k you will see diminished returns beyond the 3570k
m
0
l
December 6, 2012 2:45:37 AM

No I mean should I get a 2011 board to plan ahead for the future. If everyone starts migrating to 2011 and they stop making 1155 boards, then i should get a 2011 so I don't need to keep on upgrading mobos.
m
0
l
December 6, 2012 3:41:46 AM

if you won't overclock, why not get a non-k processor (probably only saved a few quid, though). The real saving might come from the motherboard...non Z77 chipset (H77 or B75) are a lot cheaper, and you can use the saving to up your gpu.
m
0
l

Best solution

a b B Homebuilt system
December 6, 2012 4:42:01 AM

No you should buy for when you know for sure what you are going to get yourself into. For example now if you wanted to upgrade to a 1155 i5 just do that and worry about the other stuff later. I'm sure the prices of boards will go down for 2011 overtime and you will have a easier time if you went that route further down the line. And like cumi said if you don't have reason to overclock the H77 would be a decent option the B75 I have heard interesting (bad) things about.
Share
December 6, 2012 8:39:56 AM

Alright thank you.

So I'm definitely still getting the 3570k regarless of overclock or not. However, I am changing the motherboard to a cheaper one to save my self some quids.
I'm still going to wait for the new line of gpu's since my isn't too terribly bad atm.
m
0
l
December 6, 2012 8:40:03 AM

Best answer selected by h3llfire741.
m
0
l
!