New gaming build ~$1200

ncv1901

Honorable
Dec 5, 2012
I am going to be building a new system soon and was looking for some input. Mostly I wanted to make sure there would be no issues with my build. I would also like to see if it would be possible to make the system any quieter or cheaper.

Approximate Purchase Date: e.g.: In the next two weeks

Budget Range: (e.g.: 300-400): right now the build is ~$1200 but would like to drop it down a little if possible without a major preformace drop.

System Usage from Most to Least Important: Gaming, schoolwork(MATLAB, simulation software), general use

Are you buying a monitor: No

Parts to Upgrade: (e.g.: CPU, mobo, RAM): Full new build

Do you need to buy OS: Yes

Preferred Website(s) for Parts: (e.g.: newegg.com, ncix.com -- to show us selection & pricing): newegg and amazon, but will use others if major price difference

Parts Preferences: by brand or type (e.g.: I would like to upgrade to Intel CPU)

Overclocking: In the future

SLI or Crossfire: not now

Your Monitor Resolution:1900x1200, but i do have two monitors one 1920x1200 the other 1920x1080

Additional Comments: I would prefer it to be as quiet as possible

And Most Importantly, Why Are You Upgrading: My current computer is a few years old and I have the money currently for an upgrade

Kiowa789

Distinguished
Oct 8, 2012

I would normally say that, but no, not in this case.

He needs 16gb, he is using professional software, that requires that extra room, (MATLAB, Simulations).
Also, 7950 is shown to perform better in his needs, also better price/performance, replace that with a 7950/7970
While he will be using professional grade stuff, 2tb of HDD space is unnecessary, give him 1tb, the odds of him ever breaking that barrier are fairly low.
Doesn't need a big flashy case either.... but its fine.

Fix those, then the build should be tip top for his needs.

If OP feels the need to change those things they can. :)

Kiowa789

Distinguished
Oct 8, 2012

You know OP won't.

So I did.

http://pcpartpicker.com/p/r80w

OP, this is a top notch build that will tackle anything you want to throw at it, especially with some of the more professional things you will be doing.

(I managed to squeeze a solid state drive in, speedy performance, load your OS in seconds, start whatever programs you have installed on it in less than 7 seconds tops, the extra RAM will allow you to do some bigger projects, if you think something needs changed, I'll pull it off.)