Sign in with
Your question
Closed

Time for new card?

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
October 15, 2012 3:28:04 PM

Not sure if getting a new vcard would be worth it over just redoing the system in it's entirety.

I'm getting a lot of artifacting going on, and BSOD's.

System:

MOBO: Asus P7P55D Pro
CPU: i5 750
Vcard: Radeon HD 5770
RAM: 8 gig G.Skill

I haven't messed with hardware in a very long time. I'm pretty lost when the numbering system these days, even after attempting to look them all up.

Basically, I play Guild Wars 2 and dabble in a few other things. Will a new video card suffice? Is it possible to get a card that can handle GW 2 on highest settings with this mother board?

Also, I prefer having my desktop and games playing at 1920x1080.

More about : time card

a b U Graphics card
October 15, 2012 3:34:32 PM

whats your power supply wattage rating?
artifacting can be caused by over heating. dl msi afterburner to see on screen display info about your temps, core speed, etc
as for bsod's it can be caused by faulty ram, you can download and burn an iso of memtest86 and boot from it. if you get errors it means your ram is faulty
as for gw2 gpu it all depends on what kind of psu you got
Score
Related resources
October 15, 2012 3:57:31 PM

airtaz said:
I believe the PS is http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168... purchased a few years back.

Woah! You're specs are pretty similar to mine. The video card should still be able to handle most games that are out now. I have had no problem graphics processing wise playing games like Crysis 2 (with graphical mods) on a Radeon HD 5750. There isn't going to be another Playstation or Xbox console for awhile which means visually games aren't going to be too taxing on your system.

I think if you wait another six months you can upgrade the lot. Like yours my CPU is getting on, so give it a bit more time and buy the lot together. This way you won't need to buy piece by piece.

Oh, and PSU are very important. Something people often overlook when upgrading their PCs.

Score
October 15, 2012 5:01:39 PM

Dragons68 said:
Woah! You're specs are pretty similar to mine. The video card should still be able to handle most games that are out now. I have had no problem graphics processing wise playing games like Crysis 2 (with graphical mods) on a Radeon HD 5750. There isn't going to be another Playstation or Xbox console for awhile which means visually games aren't going to be too taxing on your system.

I think if you wait another six months you can upgrade the lot. Like yours my CPU is getting on, so give it a bit more time and buy the lot together. This way you won't need to buy piece by piece.

Oh, and PSU are very important. Something people often overlook when upgrading their PCs.

I'm changing it out of necessity, not want. I believe the screen artifacting is caused by the vcard. I ran memtest and no errors came up on my run.

So if I need to get a new card, I may as well get one that is a much better upgrade that my mobo/cpu combo can handle.
Score
a b U Graphics card
October 15, 2012 5:12:18 PM

Where are you seeing most artifacts? I see them on walls and stuff in GW2 but not in any other games. GW2 is still pretty messed up so I believe it's just a problem with that game. If you are seeing it just as much in other games than I say it's definatly a problem with your GPU.

As for an upgrade, the 7850's are at a real good price now, I ordered an MSI Power edition 7850 for my friends PC for $225, but you can get the as cheap as $180. I'm not sure where the older Intel I5's stand as far as performance but I think it would be alright with a GPU like that.
Score
a b U Graphics card
October 15, 2012 5:17:21 PM

airtaz said:
I'm changing it out of necessity, not want. I believe the screen artifacting is caused by the vcard. I ran memtest and no errors came up on my run.

So if I need to get a new card, I may as well get one that is a much better upgrade that my mobo/cpu combo can handle.

So you've decided on a new GPU out of necessity. What is your budget and timeline on upgrading? Your PSU can handle anything, well almost anything, you throw at it GPU wise. Your system can handle the spectrum from a very cheap $110 Radeon 7770, $150 GTX 650 Ti, $170 Radeon 7850 1gb, $185 Radeon 7850 2gb. I would stay under the $200 mark. Anything over this would just be bottleneck'ed by your cpu.

As you can see, you have a wide variety of choices spread out among different price points.
Score
October 15, 2012 5:38:36 PM

Wow. Didn't realize this old of a motherboard would still have so many options. I would prefer to keep the cost under 150.00 US.

I am currently running OCCT to check the power supply.

Also, I didn't really mention when this occurs. It usually happens while playing a game or watching videos. Videos through media player seems to do it the fastest.
Score
a b U Graphics card
October 15, 2012 5:41:10 PM

For under $150 a 6850 is the way to go, unless you can come across a cheap 560, or 6870.
Score
a b U Graphics card
October 15, 2012 5:48:22 PM

Hhmm, artifacts while just watching videos...almost no power draw. You got me on that one.

Edit: Your mobo has PCIE2.0 X16. The new PCIE 3.0 cards downscale to 2.0. The performance difference is less than 3%.
Score
a b U Graphics card
October 15, 2012 5:58:58 PM

+1 for mace200200

You actually have two real options with a far fetched third option. You have the Radeon 6850 which is mid to lower end for AMD's 6000 series from last year, the Radeon 7770 which is AMD's mid grade choice from this years line. The final option is the GTX 650 Ti which Nvidia just released but is priced horribly so don't really worry about it.

PowerColor 7770 Ghz Edi $127 shipped $117 after MIR This would be the cheap way to go. You still get the 7770 power just not all the bells and whistles.
Sapphire 6850 $150 shipped $135 after MIR
Sapphire Vapor-X 7770 Ghz Edi $150 shipped $135 after MIR

For the same price you can get last years 6850 OR this years 7770. The Sapphire Vapor-X is the best 7770 made.

Here's the review from Techpowerwup on the Vapor-X.

Here you'll see that for the same price you get the same performance, with a few exceptions, the 7770 runs cooler & uses less power.

Score
a c 191 U Graphics card
October 15, 2012 6:02:09 PM

@ airtaz: Given the fairly high resolution of your display it's unlikely any card will be badly hampered by the old timer CPU-which will overclock nicely if you have a mind. Mine's currently purring along at a mild 3.4GHz on a cheap Coolermaster Hyper 212+ and, given a better cooler and less lazy owner should reach 4.0GHz without too many problems. What bottleneck? :) 
As for card, this chart is a little oudated because it's missing the new GTX 650 and non Ti GTX660:

http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/gaming-graphics-car...

I'm also a 1080 display with a HD6950 (modded to 6970 specs) and there's nothing out there it can't run at high or, in many cases, 'massive over-the-top-suicidal' settings so a HD7850/GTX650Ti/660 would be a substantial upgrade from the current HD5770.
Dscudella has neatly outlined some decent choices but do n't discount the older
HD 68XX and GTX560 cards they can offer excellent value if discounted.
Score
a b U Graphics card
October 15, 2012 6:10:47 PM

Thanks Coozie7

I checked the 550 Ti's, too old, then the 560 Ti's, over budget ($200 still).

Here's a PowerColor 6850 $130 shipped. That's the cheapest I could find. You don't get the awesome cooler that is the Vapor-X but you save $5 and don't have to wait on rebates.
Score
a c 191 U Graphics card
October 15, 2012 6:12:05 PM

^ Nice on the 6850. Shame it's not available yet (backorder).
Score
a b U Graphics card
October 15, 2012 6:17:04 PM

coozie7 said:
^ Nice on the 6850. Shame it's not available yet (backorder).

Oh wow, I can't believe I missed that. Well, if it WAS in stock that would definitely be the one to get.
Score
a b U Graphics card
October 15, 2012 6:37:30 PM

coozie7 said:
^However the 'Egg has these:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/ProductList.aspx?Submit=E...

Although if I were going up to nearly $150 for a 6850 I'd much rather push the budget a bit harder and plump for this:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

A far superior card for $20 more!

I agree completely with the 7850 1gb but I was just trying to stay within the OP's budget. Wasn't trying to push the issue lol.
Score
October 15, 2012 6:44:46 PM

dscudella said:
So you've decided on a new GPU out of necessity. What is your budget and timeline on upgrading? Your PSU can handle anything, well almost anything, you throw at it GPU wise. Your system can handle the spectrum from a very cheap $110 Radeon 7770, $150 GTX 650 Ti, $170 Radeon 7850 1gb, $185 Radeon 7850 2gb. I would stay under the $200 mark. Anything over this would just be bottleneck'ed by your cpu.

As you can see, you have a wide variety of choices spread out among different price points.

i5 750 is very powerfull cpu for gaming especially if you overclock it. it can handle the hd 7970 easy when you overclock it.
Score
a c 191 U Graphics card
October 15, 2012 8:29:40 PM

@ dscudella: Just a thought on the 7850 and being of work right now I know how tight money can be and that a budget can MEAN a budget :(  .
@ airtaz: Ball's in your court now, mate.
Score
a b U Graphics card
October 15, 2012 8:37:09 PM

I'm actually going to be upgrading to the Sapphire 7850 OC 2gb $210 once it drops back under $200 again to replace my OC'ed Radeon 6850.

But for the $150 of the OP's budget, Vapor-X 7770 or 6850 is your best bang for the buck. I would lean more towards the Vapor-X simply for the cooler. The 7770's are champion OC'ers especially with good cooling.
Score
October 15, 2012 9:22:47 PM

Great advice guys, I appreciate it. I think I am looking at the Vapor-X recommendation if I need to replace my current card. I was pretty sure it was the video card at first. But, I ran the power supply test from OCCT (first time using it), and after a bit the computer apparently rebooted. So now I'm not sure if it really is the vcard.
Score
a b U Graphics card
October 15, 2012 9:44:27 PM

That PSU shouldn't have any problems. It does have a 5 year warranty however. Contact Antec and tell them what's going on. Also try this, download Furmark, it's a video card stress test. Run it at 1080p fullscreen and look for artifacts. Artifacts are very easy to spot against the yellow, orange & red background
Score
October 15, 2012 10:22:14 PM

Been running Furmark for quite some time now. At first, there was some pixelation/artifacts on the 2nd monitor (flashing). I refreshed the screen and they haven't reappeared. The GPU has been running 99% for quite a bit now. The hottest it has gotten to is 66C.
Score
a b U Graphics card
October 15, 2012 10:52:08 PM

Sounds like your 5770 is running good and is getting the power it needs. Furmark is the ultimate torture test, if it finds any errors it closes and returns to the desktop. The card can run with artifacts, it doesn't effect performance, just visuals. Your problem lies elsewhere.

When was the last time you updated your AMD drivers? I don't want you to spend money if you don't have to, unless you want to, that's what I'm trying to get at.

The latest version of AMD's CCC is 12.8 and was posted on 8/15/2012. If you haven't updated your drivers you need to do so.
They can be found HERE
Score
October 16, 2012 3:25:45 AM

Those are the ones I had loaded. I usually grab them as soon as they become available. This time, I went for the beta version. There was still some minor articfacting during the test, just not on the screen the test was running on. And, once I refreshed the other screen, they never came back.

This doesn't explain why OCCT errored out (and once rebooted the machine) during the power supply test. I have been playing for a few hours now with no artifacting going on now. Weird, I know.
Score
a b U Graphics card
October 16, 2012 4:02:18 AM

Well, I'm not a guru when it comes to the actual hardware aspect of things, capacitors, voltage regulators and the shiny bits per se lol. After doing about 15 minutes of research and intense searching I have two theories based on what I've read. I am completely open to anyone stepping in and correcting me on this.

My two theories are:
95% Your Radeon HD 5770 is just getting old and starting to die. Check to see how long of a warranty the card manufacturer gave you and try to cross reference it with when you purchased it. Doubtful, but you might still be in RMA territory.

5% Your PSU is failing. When PSU's start to go bad, well, they go bad, poof, they smoke and no more power. There have been odd instances where they send out "dirty" power to your PC's components but this is very rare.
Score
a c 191 U Graphics card
October 16, 2012 10:52:04 AM

@ airtaz: Odd, I thought you'd already done the fault finding stuff. Still, have a quick look here:

http://www.playtool.com/pages/artifacts/artifacts.html

Any of those faults?

If you're not seeing the problem all the time it could be the card going bad, but it could just be a loose connection or minor driver issue.
Try:
Install the WHQL ATI drivers rather than the Beta version, it's possible you have a corrupt install.
Check your Windows installation is fully updated and run DXdiag from the 'run' box, again unlikely to be a problem but it's one less possible cause to worry about.
Remove and reseat the card and main memory modules, remove and reseat the video cable from the monitor.
Check the CPU temperature, an overheated CPU can send corrupt data to the video card and it's not unknown for the pushpins holding the cooler to work loose over time.
Either Speedfan of Realtemp will do the job of monitoring temperatures and either Intelburntest or Prime95 can be used as stress testers and can be found here:

http://www.benchmarkhq.ru/english.html?/b_e.html

Although Prime95 is a fearsome test it's a little daunting to initially set up so I prefer the Intelburntest.

If you do have this PSU:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

It's not likely to be the problem and although powersupplies do lose efficiency over time (Google 'capacitor ageing' ), that unit has a great deal in reserve to run your system. Cheaper units do lack the protection of higher quality ones, and can, indeed go 'poof' taking a good chunk of your hardware with them, the good news is yours is not one of them.
Score

Best solution

a b U Graphics card
October 17, 2012 11:54:38 PM

7750 is a low power budget board. It's what we recommend to people with old or low power PSU's since it doesn't need external power. It's garbage compared to the 7850.

Don't get the Powercolor 7850, get the His IceQ 7850 You'll save $2 and it has a better cooler.
October 18, 2012 12:14:14 AM

dscudella said:
7750 is a low power budget board. It's what we recommend to people with old or low power PSU's since it doesn't need external power. It's garbage compared to the 7850.

Don't get the Powercolor 7850, get the His IceQ 7850 You'll save $2 and it has a better cooler.

Thanks for the quick response this evening. I ordered your recommendation.
Score
October 18, 2012 12:14:30 AM

Best answer selected by airtaz.
Score
a b U Graphics card
October 18, 2012 12:26:39 AM

I'm just glad we could get that worked out. Good luck to you and happy gaming with your new card.
Score
October 19, 2012 8:29:06 PM

Card came today. All is well and the graphic issues have stopped. So, we did good.

Card observations though:
1. There appears to be audio in this thing
2. My second monitor doesn't hook up to it. It only has one connection. Lesson learned, I should have looked closer.

hah. Card with autodetect in GW2 runs some of the options at high. Nice.
Score
a b U Graphics card
October 19, 2012 8:43:44 PM

If you got the HiS card it has 4 connections for monitors and can display on up to 6 monitors (not recommended at all).

Score
October 19, 2012 8:47:25 PM

dscudella said:
If you got the HiS card it has 4 connections for monitors.

Ports

HDMI
1 x HDMI

DisplayPort
2 x Mini DisplayPort

DVI
1 x DVI

Yeah. I'm checking Bestbuy (because it's local and can't live one day without my second monitor) for an adapter from vga to one of these mini displayports. Looks like they have them in stock.

Still looking into this 7.1 surround mentioned on the box.
Score
a b U Graphics card
October 19, 2012 8:58:54 PM

If you use the HDMI cord and have speakers on you Monitor it will will route the audio to your monitor.
Score
a b U Graphics card
October 19, 2012 10:05:41 PM

Mini DP outputs in digital only, if that's the way you go you need another convertor to take that digital signal and out put it to an analog one. I assume that card has a DVI port, so it would be much easier to buy a DVI to VGA instead. DVI can output both analog and digital signals so all you would need is the adapter.
Score
October 20, 2012 5:27:16 AM

mace200200 said:
Mini DP outputs in digital only, if that's the way you go you need another convertor to take that digital signal and out put it to an analog one. I assume that card has a DVI port, so it would be much easier to buy a DVI to VGA instead. DVI can output both analog and digital signals so all you would need is the adapter.

I purchased the vga to mini displayport. It seems to work fine. With shipping and this adapter I probably could have purchased a much better card.. Lol.

All is good.
Score
a b U Graphics card
October 20, 2012 7:17:37 AM

dscudella said:

how dare you !!! :cry:  dont call my card garbage ever again :non: 
Score
!