WZC doesn't know our driver is WPA capable...How to tell W..

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.pocketpc.developer.networking,microsoft.public.pocketpc.wireless,microsoft.public.windows.networking.wireless,microsoft.public.windowsce.app.development,microsoft.public.windowsxp.device_driver.dev (More info?)

Hi,

I am trying to make our driver to work with WZC with WPA functionality. I
already made all WPA related OIDs
work and able to use meetinghouse Aegis client to do WPA and WPA PSK and
surf.
Right now, when I plug in our card and load the driver, the Windows Zero
Configuration doesn't know our card can do
WPA OIDs and TKIP and AES encryptions.
How do I tell WZC it's a WPA capable driver ? Through the OIDs or INF file
or Registery ?

Please advise !

Corin

gramps

Distinguished
Jul 19, 2004
Archived from groups: microsoft.public.pocketpc.developer.networking,microsoft.public.pocketpc.wireless,microsoft.public.windows.networking.wireless,microsoft.public.windowsce.app.development,microsoft.public.windowsxp.device_driver.dev (More info?)

You need to pass the tests that WZC uses to determine if your driver
supports WPA. Look at the 802.11 driver guidelines for a description of
these tests. You can get the guidelines doc at:

http://www.microsoft.com/whdc/device/network/802x/80211_netadapt.mspx

"PingPong" <tsccc@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> Hi,
>
> I am trying to make our driver to work with WZC with WPA functionality. I
> already made all WPA related OIDs
> work and able to use meetinghouse Aegis client to do WPA and WPA PSK and
> surf.
> Right now, when I plug in our card and load the driver, the Windows Zero
> Configuration doesn't know our card can do
> WPA OIDs and TKIP and AES encryptions.
> How do I tell WZC it's a WPA capable driver ? Through the OIDs or INF file
> or Registery ?
>
> Please advise !
>

> Corin

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.pocketpc.developer.networking,microsoft.public.pocketpc.wireless,microsoft.public.windows.networking.wireless,microsoft.public.windowsce.app.development,microsoft.public.windowsxp.device_driver.dev (More info?)

Hi,
Thank you for the infomation.
I went through the tests that guidelines described and right now our driver
had the same OID responses as guideline
says.
But one weird thing is WZC didn't sent me the Query
OID_802_11_ASSOCIATION_INFOMATION,
It basically skipped this query OID.
I used DLink card as the reference. WZC sent the same OID sequence to DLink
as it sent to our driver, except WZC sent OID_802_11_ASSOCIATION_INFOMATION
to DLink and skipped it to our driver.
SO, DLink card is "WPA capable", and our's not.

Please Help, I know I am very close to pass tests as "WPA capable".
Why WZC doesn't sent OID_802_11_ASSOCIATION_INFOMATION to our driver ?
(I did implement this OID: ASSOCIATION_INFOMATION .)
Any ideas ?

"Gramps" <gramps@old.fart.com> wrote in message
> You need to pass the tests that WZC uses to determine if your driver
> supports WPA. Look at the 802.11 driver guidelines for a description of
> these tests. You can get the guidelines doc at:
>
> http://www.microsoft.com/whdc/device/network/802x/80211_netadapt.mspx
>
> "PingPong" <tsccc@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> > Hi,
> >
> > I am trying to make our driver to work with WZC with WPA functionality.
> > already made all WPA related OIDs
> > work and able to use meetinghouse Aegis client to do WPA and WPA PSK and
> > surf.
> > Right now, when I plug in our card and load the driver, the Windows Zero
> > Configuration doesn't know our card can do
> > WPA OIDs and TKIP and AES encryptions.
> > How do I tell WZC it's a WPA capable driver ? Through the OIDs or INF
file
> > or Registery ?
> >
> > Please advise !
> >

> > Corin

gramps

Distinguished
Jul 19, 2004
Archived from groups: microsoft.public.pocketpc.developer.networking,microsoft.public.pocketpc.wireless,microsoft.public.windows.networking.wireless,microsoft.public.windowsce.app.development,microsoft.public.windowsxp.device_driver.dev (More info?)

Are you exporting OID_802_11_ASSOCIATION_INFORMATION in your list of
supported OIDs when queried by OID_GEN_SUPPORTED_LIST?

> Hi,
> Thank you for the infomation.
> I went through the tests that guidelines described and right now our
driver
> had the same OID responses as guideline
> says.
> But one weird thing is WZC didn't sent me the Query
> OID_802_11_ASSOCIATION_INFOMATION,
> It basically skipped this query OID.
> I used DLink card as the reference. WZC sent the same OID sequence to
DLink
> as it sent to our driver, except WZC sent
OID_802_11_ASSOCIATION_INFOMATION
> to DLink and skipped it to our driver.
> SO, DLink card is "WPA capable", and our's not.
>
> Please Help, I know I am very close to pass tests as "WPA capable".
> Why WZC doesn't sent OID_802_11_ASSOCIATION_INFOMATION to our driver ?
> (I did implement this OID: ASSOCIATION_INFOMATION .)
> Any ideas ?
>

> "Gramps" <gramps@old.fart.com> wrote in message
> > You need to pass the tests that WZC uses to determine if your driver
> > supports WPA. Look at the 802.11 driver guidelines for a description of
> > these tests. You can get the guidelines doc at:
> >
> > http://www.microsoft.com/whdc/device/network/802x/80211_netadapt.mspx
> >
> > "PingPong" <tsccc@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> > > Hi,
> > >
> > > I am trying to make our driver to work with WZC with WPA
functionality.
> > > already made all WPA related OIDs
> > > work and able to use meetinghouse Aegis client to do WPA and WPA PSK
and
> > > surf.
> > > Right now, when I plug in our card and load the driver, the Windows
Zero
> > > Configuration doesn't know our card can do
> > > WPA OIDs and TKIP and AES encryptions.
> > > How do I tell WZC it's a WPA capable driver ? Through the OIDs or INF
> file
> > > or Registery ?
> > >
> > > Please advise !
> > >

> > > Corin

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.pocketpc.developer.networking,microsoft.public.pocketpc.wireless,microsoft.public.windows.networking.wireless,microsoft.public.windowsce.app.development,microsoft.public.windowsxp.device_driver.dev (More info?)

Thanks agian,
Yes, I do exporting OID_802_11_ASSOCIATION_INFORMATION when queried by
OID_GEN_SUPPORTED_LIST.

Anything I possibly missed ?

> Are you exporting OID_802_11_ASSOCIATION_INFORMATION in your list of
> supported OIDs when queried by OID_GEN_SUPPORTED_LIST?
>
> "PingPong" <tsccc@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> > Hi,
> > Thank you for the infomation.
> > I went through the tests that guidelines described and right now our
> driver
> > had the same OID responses as guideline
> > says.
> > But one weird thing is WZC didn't sent me the Query
> > OID_802_11_ASSOCIATION_INFOMATION,
> > It basically skipped this query OID.
> > I used DLink card as the reference. WZC sent the same OID sequence to
> DLink
> > as it sent to our driver, except WZC sent
> OID_802_11_ASSOCIATION_INFOMATION
> > to DLink and skipped it to our driver.
> > SO, DLink card is "WPA capable", and our's not.
> >
> > Please Help, I know I am very close to pass tests as "WPA capable".
> > Why WZC doesn't sent OID_802_11_ASSOCIATION_INFOMATION to our driver ?
> > (I did implement this OID: ASSOCIATION_INFOMATION .)
> > Any ideas ?
> >

> > "Gramps" <gramps@old.fart.com> wrote in message
> > > You need to pass the tests that WZC uses to determine if your driver
> > > supports WPA. Look at the 802.11 driver guidelines for a description
of
> > > these tests. You can get the guidelines doc at:
> > >
> > > http://www.microsoft.com/whdc/device/network/802x/80211_netadapt.mspx
> > >
> > > "PingPong" <tsccc@hotmail.com> wrote in message

> functionality.
> and
> Zero
INF
> > file

gramps

Distinguished
Jul 19, 2004
Archived from groups: microsoft.public.pocketpc.developer.networking,microsoft.public.pocketpc.wireless,microsoft.public.windows.networking.wireless,microsoft.public.windowsce.app.development,microsoft.public.windowsxp.device_driver.dev (More info?)

Are you getting a set of OID_802_11_ADD_KEY? If so, are you failing
the set if the key index parameter is 0xc0000001 and returning
NDIS_STATUS_INVALID_DATA?

For that matter, can you list the OIDs that you are getting (based on the
adapter guidelines) and what your driver returns for data?

> Thanks agian,
> Yes, I do exporting OID_802_11_ASSOCIATION_INFORMATION when queried by
> OID_GEN_SUPPORTED_LIST.
>
> Anything I possibly missed ?
>

> "Gramps" <gramps@old.fart.com> wrote in message
> > Are you exporting OID_802_11_ASSOCIATION_INFORMATION in your list of
> > supported OIDs when queried by OID_GEN_SUPPORTED_LIST?
> >
> > "PingPong" <tsccc@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> > > Hi,
> > > Thank you for the infomation.
> > > I went through the tests that guidelines described and right now our
> > driver
> > > had the same OID responses as guideline
> > > says.
> > > But one weird thing is WZC didn't sent me the Query
> > > OID_802_11_ASSOCIATION_INFOMATION,
> > > It basically skipped this query OID.
> > > I used DLink card as the reference. WZC sent the same OID sequence to
> > DLink
> > > as it sent to our driver, except WZC sent
> > OID_802_11_ASSOCIATION_INFOMATION
> > > to DLink and skipped it to our driver.
> > > SO, DLink card is "WPA capable", and our's not.
> > >
> > > Please Help, I know I am very close to pass tests as "WPA capable".
> > > Why WZC doesn't sent OID_802_11_ASSOCIATION_INFOMATION to our driver ?
> > > (I did implement this OID: ASSOCIATION_INFOMATION .)
> > > Any ideas ?
> > >

> > > "Gramps" <gramps@old.fart.com> wrote in message
> of

http://www.microsoft.com/whdc/device/network/802x/80211_netadapt.mspx

> > functionality.
PSK
> > and
Windows
> > Zero
> INF
> > > file

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.pocketpc.developer.networking,microsoft.public.pocketpc.wireless,microsoft.public.windows.networking.wireless,microsoft.public.windowsce.app.development,microsoft.public.windowsxp.device_driver.dev (More info?)

Hi, Here the list of the OIDs the got after enable theWZC in Control
Panel\Administrative Tools\Services

WmiQueryComplete, Oid: OID_802_3_CURRENT_ADDRESS 0x04040490 0x00000404

WmiQueryComplete, Oid: OID_GEN_MAC_OPTIONS, Data: 0x0000008D (141)

WmiQueryComplete, Oid: OID_GEN_MAXIMUM_FRAME_SIZE, Data: 0x000005DC (1500)

WmiQueryComplete, Oid: OID_GEN_MEDIA_CONNECT_STATUS, Data: 0x00000001 (1)

WmiQueryComplete, Oid: OID_802_3_CURRENT_ADDRESS, Data: 0x04040490
0x00000404 0x00000000 0x00000000 0x00000000 0x00000000

WmiQueryComplete, Oid: OID_802_3_CURRENT_ADDRESS 0x04040490 0x00000404

WmiQueryComplete, Oid: OID_802_11_AUTHENTICATION_MODE, Data: 0x00000000 (0)

WmiQueryComplete, Oid: OID_802_11_INFRASTRUCTURE_MODE, Data: 0x00000002 (2)

WmiQueryComplete, Oid: OID_802_11_WEP_STATUS, Data: 0x00000000 (0)

WmiQueryComplete, Oid: OID_802_11_SSID, Data: 0x00000007 0x61666564
0x00746C75 0x00000000 0x00000000 0x00000000

WmiQueryComplete, Oid: OID_802_11_BSSID_LIST, Data: 0x0000000B 0x0000009C
0x19660F00 0x00004623 0x00000001 0x00000061

WmiQueryComplete, Oid: OID_802_11_SSID, Data: 0x00000007 0x61666564
0x00746C75 0x00000000 0x00000000 0x00000000

WmiSetComplete, Oid: OID_802_11_INFRASTRUCTURE_MODE, Data: 0x00000001 (1)

WmiSetComplete, Oid: OID_802_11_SSID, Data: 0x00000020 0x131C0314
0x1B1A0305 0x1B011B10 0x05030205 0x050A1D1D

WmiSetComplete, Oid: OID_802_11_AUTHENTICATION_MODE, Data: 0x00000003 (3)

WmiQueryComplete, Oid: OID_802_11_AUTHENTICATION_MODE, Data: 0x00000003 (3)

WmiSetComplete, Oid: OID_802_11_WEP_STATUS, Data: 0x00000006 (6)

WmiQueryComplete, Oid: OID_802_11_WEP_STATUS, Data: 0x00000007 (7)

WmiSetComplete, Oid: OID_802_11_ADD_KEY, Data: 0x00000040 0xC0000001
0x00000020 0xFFFFFFFF 0x1B1AFFFF 0x1B011B10

return NDIS_STATUS_INVALID_DATA

WmiSetComplete, Oid: OID_802_11_BSSID_LIST_SCAN, Data: 0x00000000 (0)

This list is almost identical to what WZC send to DLink card, except some
return values like OID_802_11_BSSID_LIST are different.
However DLink card got extra query OID association_information which we
didn't after set OID add_key .
WmiQueryComplete, Oid: OID_802_11_ASSOCIATION_INFORMATION, Data: 0x00000028
0x00000000 0x00000000 0x00000000 0x00000000 0x00000000

Anything wrong in the list ? DLink has the same list and return values and
passes tests. The only missing OID for us is query association_information,
if WZC send us this OID, then I can debug the next. If they don't, something
must be wrong.

Thanks in advance.

> Are you getting a set of OID_802_11_ADD_KEY? If so, are you failing
> the set if the key index parameter is 0xc0000001 and returning
> NDIS_STATUS_INVALID_DATA?
>
> For that matter, can you list the OIDs that you are getting (based on the
> adapter guidelines) and what your driver returns for data?
>
> "PingPong" <tsccc@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> > Thanks agian,
> > Yes, I do exporting OID_802_11_ASSOCIATION_INFORMATION when queried by
> > OID_GEN_SUPPORTED_LIST.
> >
> > Anything I possibly missed ?
> >

> > "Gramps" <gramps@old.fart.com> wrote in message
> > > Are you exporting OID_802_11_ASSOCIATION_INFORMATION in your list of
> > > supported OIDs when queried by OID_GEN_SUPPORTED_LIST?
> > >
> > > "PingPong" <tsccc@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> > > driver
> > > DLink
> > > OID_802_11_ASSOCIATION_INFOMATION

> > of
> > > > >

> http://www.microsoft.com/whdc/device/network/802x/80211_netadapt.mspx

> > > functionality.
> PSK
> > > and
> Windows
> > > Zero
> > INF

gramps

Distinguished
Jul 19, 2004
Archived from groups: microsoft.public.pocketpc.developer.networking,microsoft.public.pocketpc.wireless,microsoft.public.windows.networking.wireless,microsoft.public.windowsce.app.development,microsoft.public.windowsxp.device_driver.dev (More info?)

Some comments inline below...

The bad news is that I don't see anything that looks incorrect and I'm not
sure if the comments I've given you will have any impact.

You may want to plumb OID_802_11_ASSOCIATION_INFORMATION to your driver
through OidScope to see how it's handling it.

> Hi, Here the list of the OIDs the got after enable theWZC in Control
> Panel\Administrative Tools\Services
>
> WmiQueryComplete, Oid: OID_802_3_CURRENT_ADDRESS 0x04040490 0x00000404
>

> WmiQueryComplete, Oid: OID_GEN_MAC_OPTIONS, Data: 0x0000008D (141)

[Please confirm that you are not responding to this query with 0x8D. 0x80 is
a reserved NDIS setting and should not be used by the miniport.]

> WmiQueryComplete, Oid: OID_GEN_MAXIMUM_FRAME_SIZE, Data: 0x000005DC
(1500)

> WmiQueryComplete, Oid: OID_GEN_MEDIA_CONNECT_STATUS, Data: 0x00000001 (1)
>
> WmiQueryComplete, Oid: OID_802_3_CURRENT_ADDRESS, Data: 0x04040490
> 0x00000404 0x00000000 0x00000000 0x00000000 0x00000000
>
> WmiQueryComplete, Oid: OID_802_3_CURRENT_ADDRESS 0x04040490 0x00000404
>
> WmiQueryComplete, Oid: OID_802_11_AUTHENTICATION_MODE, Data: 0x00000000
(0)

> WmiQueryComplete, Oid: OID_802_11_INFRASTRUCTURE_MODE, Data: 0x00000002
(2)

[You're initializing to Ndis802_11AutoUnknown which is not supposed to be
used. You may want to default to Ndis802_11Infrastructure instead.]

> WmiQueryComplete, Oid: OID_802_11_WEP_STATUS, Data: 0x00000000 (0)

[You're initializing to Ndis802_11Encryption1Enabled. You may want to
default to Ndis802_11EncryptionDisabled instead.]

> [...]

> > > Yes, I do exporting OID_802_11_ASSOCIATION_INFORMATION when queried
by
> > > OID_GEN_SUPPORTED_LIST.
> > >
> > > Anything I possibly missed ?
> > >

> > > "Gramps" <gramps@old.fart.com> wrote in message

> ?

> driver
> description
> > > of
> > > > > >

> > http://www.microsoft.com/whdc/device/network/802x/80211_netadapt.mspx

WPA
> > PSK
> > Windows
> or
> > > INF

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.pocketpc.developer.networking,microsoft.public.pocketpc.wireless,microsoft.public.windows.networking.wireless,microsoft.public.windowsce.app.development,microsoft.public.windowsxp.device_driver.dev (More info?)

I tried those OIDs setting you commented. I still got the same list without
the OID_802_11_ASSOCIATION_INFORMATION.

I am sure I returned OID_GEN_MAC_OPTIONS with value 0xD, I don't know where
0x80 came from, but DLink card has the same value 0x8D as well.

Anything else? looks like it's a tough one to find out, I am running out of

> [...]
> 0x00000028
> > 0x00000000 0x00000000 0x00000000 0x00000000 0x00000000
> >

> > Anything wrong in the list ? DLink has the same list and return values
and
> > passes tests. The only missing OID for us is query
> association_information,
> > if WZC send us this OID, then I can debug the next. If they don't,
> something
> > must be wrong.
> >
> > Thanks in advance.
> >

> > "Gramps" <gramps@old.fart.com> wrote in message
> > > Are you getting a set of OID_802_11_ADD_KEY? If so, are you failing
> > > the set if the key index parameter is 0xc0000001 and returning
> > > NDIS_STATUS_INVALID_DATA?
> > >
> > > For that matter, can you list the OIDs that you are getting (based on
> the
> > > adapter guidelines) and what your driver returns for data?

gramps

Distinguished
Jul 19, 2004
Archived from groups: microsoft.public.pocketpc.developer.networking,microsoft.public.pocketpc.wireless,microsoft.public.windows.networking.wireless,microsoft.public.windowsce.app.development,microsoft.public.windowsxp.device_driver.dev (More info?)

> I tried those OIDs setting you commented. I still got the same list
without
> the OID_802_11_ASSOCIATION_INFORMATION.
>
> I am sure I returned OID_GEN_MAC_OPTIONS with value 0xD, I don't know
where
> 0x80 came from, but DLink card has the same value 0x8D as well.

NDIS will insert the 0x80 after the miniport is queried with
OID_GEN_MAC_OPTIONS.

> Anything else? looks like it's a tough one to find out, I am running out
of
> ideas.

The only thing I still suspect is whether OID_802_11_ASSOCIATION_INFORMATION
is really being advertised in the OID_GEN_SUPPORTED_LIST query. Have you
tried querying your driver with OID_802_11_ASSOCIATION_INFORMATION through
OidScope?

Also, let's see if we can solve this together outside of the news group.
Send me email at grampsgramps@hotmail.com.