Circular Polarizer filter recommendations

Last response: in Digital Camera
Share
April 28, 2005 1:01:56 AM

I thought this was going to be easy, but I can't figure out which filter
to get. The price ranges are ail over the place.

Any have any favorites? I like the look effect the warming polarizers.

<http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/controller/home?A=searc...;

Also, are there any outdoor conditions that you would never want to use
a polarizer?

tia
--
Slack
Anonymous

On 2005-04-28, Slack <slacker7_ReMoVe_ThIs@scglobal.net> wrote:
> I thought this was going to be easy, but I can't figure out which filter
> to get. The price ranges are ail over the place.

You need a circular filter.

Filters can stick, as I recently found out, so ones made out of brass
may not be a bad idea (B+W, Heliopan).

Coatings matter (so prefer the "better" coating if there are multiple
versions (MRC for B+W, SH-PMC for Heliopan, SHMC for Hoya).

Unless you like the color shift across the sky, polarizers on wide angle
lenses is probably not that hot. Slim filters may therefor not be
interest to you. What focal length it starts showing up? Does the Hoya
Pro 1 glass really make a difference?

I suggest you get just one filter in the largest size you expect to use
(i.e. 77 mm for Nikkors). Then get step-up rings as needed (for
instance, I have a 52 to 77 mm ring).

Does anyone know if sealed ("Kaesemann") B+W and Heliopan filters make a
difference? I have have read about filters separating.

Perhaps they exist, but I have not seen any objective measures of what
is a "good" brand for polarizers (or filters for that matter). This is
therefor a matter of great debate. B+W, Heliopan, Hoyo, Nikon and
Tiffen are the brands you should consider.

Some people think that Tiffen filters do not match up to the rest, and
Hoya may belong in the same category with others considing Hoya filters
among the best.

Nikon's 77 mm filter are considered good, they are (AFAIK) also bigger
than the others.

Heliopan and B+W is probably best. They are also more expensive.

Personally, I will probably get a Singh-Ray polarizer for the Lee filter
system. They are however ridiculously expensive compared to 77 mm
filters due the bigger size (and I imagine smaller market).

Hope that helped?

/Allan
Anonymous
April 28, 2005 11:40:15 PM

Slack wrote:
> I thought this was going to be easy, but I can't figure out which filter
> to get. The price ranges are ail over the place.
>
> Any have any favorites? I like the look effect the warming polarizers.
>
> <http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/controller/home?A=searc...;
>

> Also, are there any outdoor conditions that you would never want to use
> a polarizer?
>
> tia
> --
> Slack

Here's another source of filters and information for you to consider.

The Filter Connection
http://www.2filter.com/
Anonymous
May 2, 2005 7:34:55 PM

On Wed, 27 Apr 2005 21:01:56 -0700, Slack
<slacker7_ReMoVe_ThIs@scglobal.net> wrote:

> Also, are there any outdoor conditions that you would never want to use
> a polarizer?

A polarizer eats a stop (more or less? not sure) of light,
so don't use it when you can't spare the loss.

--
Ben Rosengart (212) 741-4400 x215
--Josh Micah Marshall