Graphics Card recognized but wont function properly.

dlippy

Honorable
Oct 15, 2012
Hello,
I'm fairly computer savy and can do the home repairs and upgrades without any issue, but this one just has me baffled.

My brothers computer a dell finally met its maker when some how a liquid got spilled into the computer. From what I found out it was spilled in there like a year ago but just kicked the bucket.
I had an old mobo of mine and tested each of his components to see what was up. everything was fine besides HIS old mobo.
We got him a new gigabyte mobo that would support his intel 2 quad core, some new ram (upgraded him to ddr3).
When everything was installed and all I noticed the computer was not recognizing his nvidia 9800GT. Drivers and all that were done but still nothing. So I thought it could have been his 250 watt PSU so I took mine which is a 850 watt and put it in.
Well it shows the graphics card now and I can use it to display but has weird lines across the screen and has crazy symbols all over on load up. also its sayin its not working properly and had to be shut down, but obviously not all the way shut down because I'm still viewing video from it...
So I thought ok his gfx card is fried. I swapped it out with an exact model and match an old one of mine that I used still... same thing...
So now I have no idea. I tried uninstalling the drivers and reinstalling, I tried resetting the bios, I tried a fresh reinstall of everything.
I dont think it would the PCI slot because its a brand new mobo, but now Im second guessing..
Suggestions?

dlippy

Honorable
Oct 15, 2012
Mamma,
Ill have to check the monitor but the on board vga works with the monitor, maybe the cable? Ill check both after work.

Cowboy,
The mobo that I got fit perfectly, but Ill be using an old case of mine once things work.
Never had any problems with messing around with different boards in dell cases.