Will a non embedded gpu solve my over heating problem

joe12040658

Honorable
Oct 15, 2012
I changed the fan and bought some cheap thermal paste. started working normally and would stay on without turning itself off, UNLESS i ran the two cpus at above 70 percent capacity.

replaced the cheap thermal paste with Honeywell Thermal Interface Material Processor Mounting Pad
PCM45F. Result. The PC would start up for about two minutes then crash , ie turn its self off.

Removed the above and replaced again with cheap thermal paste. computer now will not crash despite running the duel core at about 80 percent capacity.

I have been monitoring it with free speed fan software. it reads CPU temperature at about 50 to 60 C.
However GPU is at 100 C when turned on at rest. when the CPU works hard temperature rises to about 107 to 108 C of the gpu.

I suspect this GPU temperature is very high , would i be right in this assumption?

There is a separate area inside the laptop which is available a separate card. it is currently empty so i am assuming that it is using an embedded gpu on the board. would putting a separate gpu card into my ascer aspire be like putting in new memory. iE plug and play? would it be easy? would it solve my high temperature gpu problem?

any advice to a novice would be appreciated thanks.

COLGeek

Cybernaut
What are the specs for the system in question (make/model of the Acer at a minimum)?

BTW, the slot you are looking at is likely not for a GPU, but for a wireless or GSM adapter, etc. The make/model info will help to clear that up.

joe12040658

Honorable
Oct 15, 2012

Hello

Acer Aspire 7520

amd athlon 64 duel core processor

up to 384mb nvida geforce 7000m

turbocache

does this help?

COLGeek

Cybernaut
From what I can see, your only GPU option is the one integrated into the motherboard. That being said, there was an old class action lawsuit that affected many makes/models that used Nvidia video chipsets.

I don't know if your system was covered (it no longer matters as the replacement program has ended). Your only viable option may be to replace the motherboard in your Acer.

COLGeek

Cybernaut
So, do you have the 7520G and not the 7520? If so, then you might be able to find a compatible MXM card.

If not, you would need to try to load the 7520G BIOS on your system (if it is different than the 7520 BIOS) to enable the port. Even then, there is a possibility it won't work.

As this is an older system, you can likely only use a MXM card that was offered with the 7520G (like the Radeon in the picture). A newer/more modern device will likely not be recognized by the BIOS.

Still since your system is unstable now, this is worth a shot. Go to Google Shopping and use these search terms "acer radeon mxm". Several options will be presented. Note that none of them are inexpensive.

joe12040658

Honorable
Oct 15, 2012
does it sound like the cpu fan is spinning?

Fan appears to be working well and i wonder if it can cope. it appears to have about three speeds . though there are periods when it stops , it does not appear to take much to get it to the highest speed.