Nvidia driver install

brianthesnail

Distinguished
Dec 14, 2007
Hi guys
i feel a bit odd writing this post since i done numerous video driver updates in the past,however recently i moved from ati to nvidia in the shape of the GTX550ti and this is the first driver update ( 306.97 WHQL ) since i last reinstalled windows and theres some questions i need confirming
1) do i need to remove all nvidia components... ( physx,3d vision ect ) ..... i know the display driver is compulsory however do ALL the other components need removing ?
2) the custom option in the latest drivers " do a clean install " .. some guys ive spoke to seem to think this can be used instead of manually removing drivers... i beg to differ,however whats your views ?
i only ask these questions since nvidia drivers have changed so much over the last few years,well at least since i last used them ( GTS250 ) .......
any help is much appreciated

egilbe

Distinguished
Nov 17, 2011

Just install them. They overwrite or replace current drivers

As I recall, just download and install the latest driver. The process will remove what needs to be removed and keep your settings.

If you feel at all concerned, just do a system restore checkpoint before starting the process.

The new driver suite does a good job of installing over the other existing Nvidia drivers. If you ever run into weird driver behavior, then do the full old school manual uninstall of everything Nvidia-related.

First time through, be sure to check the Clean Install box. After that, if you use the Clean Install option, you will lose your control panel settings and game profiles.

You need at minimum the display driver and the PhysX drivers. Only install the other items if you need them. The Auto Update option in the driver install is for SLI users.

Definitely uninstall your old AMD drivers the old-school manual way, though, first.

brianthesnail

Distinguished
Dec 14, 2007
thanks guys.... isnt is strange that the most basic of procedures for use pc enthusiasts can simply "vanish" from our memory,s.... maybe its because ive been away from nvidia cards and technology has changed ( its been a long time since the GTS250 ) ...
that said its a great feature the "clean install" option,and has helped with driver installation without a doubt
cheers guys