debilitating game play

Archived from groups: alt.games.wolfenstein (More info?)

I'm experiencing the following problems:

RTCW will start up OK, then as I'm going through the game, a small
number of artifacts appear (bright color patches on dark surfaces), and
these continue to increase until the whole map looks like a Christmas
tree.

Also, the game will stall and sometimes not restart at all, freezing
the machine.

I never had these problems before, and suspect that it might be either
a video card going bad, or that my son downloaded some other game demo
that apparently affects RTCW play.

Anybody hear of this?

-Owen

"Owen Hartnett" <owenx@xids.xnet> wrote in message

> I'm experiencing the following problems:
>
> RTCW will start up OK, then as I'm going through the game, a small
> number of artifacts appear (bright color patches on dark surfaces), and
> these continue to increase until the whole map looks like a Christmas
> tree.
>
> Also, the game will stall and sometimes not restart at all, freezing
> the machine.
>
> I never had these problems before, and suspect that it might be either
> a video card going bad, or that my son downloaded some other game demo
> that apparently affects RTCW play.
>
> Anybody hear of this?
>
> -Owen

Do you run apps in the background when you play? MSN Messenger is notorius
for this...

--FEDEX__1

"Owen Hartnett" wrote:
> I'm experiencing the following problems:
>
> RTCW will start up OK, then as I'm going through the game, a small
> number of artifacts appear (bright color patches on dark surfaces), and
> these continue to increase until the whole map looks like a Christmas
> tree.
>
> Also, the game will stall and sometimes not restart at all, freezing
> the machine.
>
> I never had these problems before, and suspect that it might be either
> a video card going bad, or that my son downloaded some other game demo
> that apparently affects RTCW play.

Sounds a lot like your video card is overheating.. Take the side off of your box and
have a desk fan pushing air directly into the case to see if such is actually the
case.

Jon