Graphics card advice please?

Status
Not open for further replies.

intel_g630

Honorable
Oct 3, 2012
cpu - Intel G630
ram - 2 gigs

I want to play games like BF3, Arkham Asylum, AC:3 at 50-60 fps at high settings. not ultra just good looking high. Resolutions preferred 1024by768. My max budget is nearly $160-$170. So I have a few sortlisted

Nvidia 550ti,
AMD 7750, 6790, 6770, 7770

What I ask is:

1. Which card is the best for my processor?

2. I am keen on the Nvidia 550ti but will i be able to get the desired fps?

PS-
I am an indian so these are the cards available for the price range in INR.

Solution
The PC is always limited by the slowest part, if your CPU cannot handle the amount of data provided by the GPU, your system will not be able to utilize all the GPU power, hence you have a bottleneck at the CPU.

Also, your CPU may bottleneck some certain cards, but it still gives surprisingly good results (at least according to that benchmark). If you do not want to replace the CPU look around and see if you can find what the cheapest GPU is that will max out your CPU. The 7970 used in that benchmark probably was way more powerful than the G630 can handle (they do this purposely so there is no bottleneck at the GPU).

intel_g630

Honorable
Oct 3, 2012

PSU is not a problem. When I'll buy the card I'll get the required PSU too.

intel_g630

Honorable
Oct 3, 2012

So isn't there any card from the shortlist that can used for my preferred specifications??? Specifications can be lowered to medium. Faster gameplay is the priority than better graphics.

Please suggest a card? If not from the above any card to suit my system that'll not b a bottleneck.

boden08

Distinguished
Jun 20, 2009
+1 to area 51, that cpu will hold you back.

i don't see the point in going for the 6*** series gpu if you have the extra to go for the 7*** series, for very little money it gain that bit extra performance but more importantly less power consumption and heat from the 7000 series.

from what i can gather the

power consumption is better on the 7770 than the 550ti
memory bandwidth is better on the 550ti
texel rate is better on the 7770 (anisotropic filtering)
pixel rate is better on the 550ti (better aa and higher resolutions)

all the reviews still say that 7770 is better than the 550ti and a true comparison is the 560se.

out of the list i would go for the 7770.

in this situation i would get the extra memory (even just 2gig extra would help, no point of 8gig if you are using 32 os, you didnt state what you was using), get the 7770 gpu and a power supply as you said thats not a problem. with the power supply make sure it has enough head room for a upgraded cpu which would be my next upgrade .

intel_g630

Honorable
Oct 3, 2012

I just did had a look at the link:

http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/gaming-fx-pentium-apu-benchmark,3120-2.html

I don't actually understand how bottlenecks work. The CPU will be holding back the cards I listed above when it can give fps 50-60 in the highest possible settings. It can nearing i5-2500k by 10-15fps in most games. Then how is it possible for the processor not to handle the cards above and render medium to high settings. I mean the cards all look like kids when compared to the HD7970. Isnt it??? So if it can work with the best to give something good in the highest settings, it should possibly work with the lower ones effectively to render good performance in med to high.

I am using win xp sp2. Thanks, I'll take a look at the 7770.

chugot9218

Honorable
The PC is always limited by the slowest part, if your CPU cannot handle the amount of data provided by the GPU, your system will not be able to utilize all the GPU power, hence you have a bottleneck at the CPU.

Also, your CPU may bottleneck some certain cards, but it still gives surprisingly good results (at least according to that benchmark). If you do not want to replace the CPU look around and see if you can find what the cheapest GPU is that will max out your CPU. The 7970 used in that benchmark probably was way more powerful than the G630 can handle (they do this purposely so there is no bottleneck at the GPU).

Solution
Status
Not open for further replies.