Waiting for Haswell (Build Depends on This!)

ROUGHRIDER13

Honorable
Nov 17, 2012
Hello,

I am currently picking out parts for around a $700 build. I settled on a nice Intel i5 3750K and Radeon 7870 when I started reading about Haswell, Intel's next generation of CPUs. The most intriguing part to me is the improved integrated graphics through Intel HD 5000 integrated graphics. Question 1: Is it worth waiting for Haswell to see what it has to offer? The expected release date is in April-May 2013.

The only reason this interests me is the potential of not having to get a dedicated GPU (which costs a good portion of my budget build). Question 2: How would the Intel 5000 graphics compare to a dedidcated Radeon 7870?

P.S. Since we're talking future, let me just say my ultimate goal is to play Battlefield 4 on at least medium.

Thanks!

cumi2k4

Distinguished
Mar 6, 2011
intel 5000 graphic will not beat a 7870, not by a wide margin. For comparison, check out the tom's monthly best gaming gpu chart, you can see the current intel's igp performance compared with 7870, there's no way intel can pull a miracle like this.
(obligatory "i'll eat my hat if they do" - but please don't call me out on this if they do :p)

g-unit1111

Titan

They most likely won't. It's like comparing laptop GPUs to desktop GPUs - they use the same numbering system but if you look deeper, they're not the same by any means.

ohiou_grad_06

Distinguished
That and I don't want to support intel. Google about Intel's Broadwell chips, supposed to come out after Haswell. If I'm understanding they are going to start soldering chips to motherboards for desktops even, which in my opinion is bad for us as consumers. I will definitely keep buying AMD. Kind of wanting to get an FX 8320 myself.