Gaming Build <600$ Suggestions? [UPDATE] ~750$

Approximate Purchase Date: Anytime before Christmas
Budget Range: Bumped up to ~750$
System Usage from Most to Least Important: Gaming>Internet>Video Editing
Are you buying a monitor: No (I plan to use my 32" 1080p TV)
SLI or Crossfire:Maybe in the future if I plan on upgrading.
Additional Comments: This will be my first time building a computer. I was planning on doing it to save a bit of money while still building a strong system and for the fun and experience.These are the parts I was considering. Any recommendations for upgrades/tweaks? Anything i'm missing?

Corsair Carbide 300R Windowed
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811139016

Seagate Barracuda 500GB 7200RPM
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16822148767

PNY Optima 8gb (2 x 4 GB) 240 pin DDR3 1333 1.5v
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820178333

AMD FX 4300 3.8GHz 95W CPU
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16819113287

ASRock 970 EXTREME3
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813157280

XFX Double D Black Edition Radeon HD 7770 GHz Edition
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814150599

XFX Pro Series 450W
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817207018


[UPDATE]

Decided I would spend a bit more after going back and forth a bit on the GPU and CPU. This is the build I was considering. Any suggestions?


http://pcpartpicker.com/p/rgi8 750$


Intel i5-3470 3.2GHz
http://pcpartpicker.com/part/intel-cpu-bx80637i53470


ASRock Z77 Pro3
http://pcpartpicker.com/part/asroc [...] rd-z77pro3


PNY Optima 8GB DDR3 1333
http://pcpartpicker.com/part/pny-memory-md8192kd31333


Seagate Barracuda 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM
http://pcpartpicker.com/part/seaga [...] t1000dm003


EVGA GTX 660 2GB OC
http://pcpartpicker.com/part/evga- [...] 2gp42662kr


Corsair Carbide 300R ATX
http://pcpartpicker.com/part/corsair-case-300r


XFX ProSeries 450W 80 PLUS Bronze Certified
http://pcpartpicker.com/part/xfx-p [...] p1450sx2b9


Sony DVD/CD Writer
http://pcpartpicker.com/part/sony- [...] -ad7280s0b


Microsoft Wireless Desktop 2000 Wireless w/Mouse
9 answers Last reply
More about gaming build suggestions update
  1. KingFlaco34 said:
    Approximate Purchase Date: Anytime before Christmas

    Budget Range: <600$, although I could go up a bit more if the performance would be that much better.

    System Usage from Most to Least Important: Gaming>Internet>Video Editing

    Are you buying a monitor: No (I plan to use my 32" 1080p TV)

    Do you need to buy OS: No

    Preferred Website(s) for Parts: Newegg, but if anywhere else is comparable as far as reliability/shipping and has the same parts
    for cheaper I would consider them.

    Overclocking: Yes (I plan on doing minor overclocking)

    SLI or Crossfire:Maybe in the future if I plan on upgrading.

    Additional Comments: This will be my first time building a computer. I was planning on doing it to save a bit of money while still building a strong system and for the fun and experience.These are the parts I was considering. Any recommendations for upgrades/tweaks? Anything i'm missing?

    Corsair Carbide 300R Windowed
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811139016

    Seagate Barracuda 500GB 7200RPM
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16822148767

    PNY Optima 8gb (2 x 4 GB) 240 pin DDR3 1333 1.5v
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820178333

    AMD FX 4300 3.8GHz 95W CPU
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16819113287

    ASRock 970 EXTREME3
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813157280

    XFX Double D Black Edition Radeon HD 7770 GHz Edition
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814150599

    XFX Pro Series 450W
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817207018


    Get a case that is half as expensive, get a phenom II x4 and a cheaper mobo or an IB i3 and a $52 1155 ASROCK mobo, and use the extra money to get a 7850 2GB or 7870.
  2. How much better of a system could I get if i bumped my budget up to 700$? That was my original budget (you can see my old thread, the build was different) but I decided a cheaper system would still be powerful enough. I'm just having second doubts regarding whether or not to get an SSD instead of the HD, and a better graphics card (a 560 ti or 7850 most likely)
  3. KingFlaco34 said:
    How much better of a system could I get if i bumped my budget up to 700$? That was my original budget (you can see my old thread, the build was different) but I decided a cheaper system would still be powerful enough. I'm just having second doubts regarding whether or not to get an SSD instead of the HD, and a better graphics card (a 560 ti or 7850 most likely)


    Every increase yields substantial performance increases up until about $1000. Also a 7850 2GB is far stronger than a 560 Ti. Get modern cards man!
  4. 2GB is about 30$ more than the 560 ti I was looking at... hows the 1GB model stand up? I was thinking http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814150617
  5. KingFlaco34 said:
    2GB is about 30$ more than the 560 ti I was looking at... hows the 1GB model stand up? I was thinking http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814150617.


    FYI an overclocked 7850 is ~50% stronger than a 560 Ti. It doesn't matter if it is 1 or 2GB, it will be just as much stronger. 2GB only means it is more future proof and will allow more AA at high resolutions.

    The fact that the 7850 1GB's are selling at almost the same price as 560 Ti's is insane. DO NOT GET THOSE OUTDATED CARDS!!! :)
  6. CaptainTom said:
    FYI an overclocked 7850 is ~50% stronger than a 560 Ti. It doesn't matter if it is 1 or 2GB, it will be just as much stronger. 2GB only means it is more future proof and will allow more AA at high resolutions.

    The fact that the 7850 1GB's are selling at almost the same price as 560 Ti's is insane. DO NOT GET THOSE OUTDATED CARDS!!! :)


    Thanks for the information! I played around with my build a bit and came out with this. What do you think? http://pcpartpicker.com/p/r9Vf
  7. KingFlaco34 said:
    Thanks for the information! I played around with my build a bit and came out with this. What do you think? http://pcpartpicker.com/p/r9Vf

    Personally I think an $85 phenom II x4 965 on Amazon is a better and stronger cpu choice. Then you should get a cheaper 450-500w (still 80+) psu. I believe there are $40-$50 ones on newegg. Last, there are cheaper motherboards for around $60 on newegg with just as many features. With all of these savings I mentioned, a 7870 should be in reach. Do this and let's see what you get ...
  8. CaptainTom said:
    Personally I think an $85 phenom II x4 965 on Amazon is a better and stronger cpu choice. Then you should get a cheaper 450-500w (still 80+) psu. I believe there are $40-$50 ones on newegg. Last, there are cheaper motherboards for around $60 on newegg with just as many features. With all of these savings I mentioned, a 7870 should be in reach. Do this and let's see what you get ...


    [UPDATE]

    Decided I would spend a bit more after going back and forth a bit on the GPU and CPU. This is the build I was considering. Any suggestions?


    http://pcpartpicker.com/p/rgi8 750$


    Intel i5-3470 3.2GHz
    http://pcpartpicker.com/part/intel-cpu-bx80637i53470


    ASRock Z77 Pro3
    http://pcpartpicker.com/part/asroc [...] rd-z77pro3


    PNY Optima 8GB DDR3 1333
    http://pcpartpicker.com/part/pny-memory-md8192kd31333


    Seagate Barracuda 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM
    http://pcpartpicker.com/part/seaga [...] t1000dm003


    EVGA GTX 660 2GB OC
    http://pcpartpicker.com/part/evga- [...] 2gp42662kr


    Corsair Carbide 300R ATX
    http://pcpartpicker.com/part/corsair-case-300r


    XFX ProSeries 450W 80 PLUS Bronze Certified
    http://pcpartpicker.com/part/xfx-p [...] p1450sx2b9


    Sony DVD/CD Writer
    http://pcpartpicker.com/part/sony- [...] -ad7280s0b


    Microsoft Wireless Desktop 2000 Wireless w/Mouse
  9. KingFlaco34 said:
    [UPDATE]

    Decided I would spend a bit more after going back and forth a bit on the GPU and CPU. This is the build I was considering. Any suggestions?


    http://pcpartpicker.com/p/rgi8 750$


    Intel i5-3470 3.2GHz
    http://pcpartpicker.com/part/intel-cpu-bx80637i53470


    ASRock Z77 Pro3
    http://pcpartpicker.com/part/asroc [...] rd-z77pro3


    PNY Optima 8GB DDR3 1333
    http://pcpartpicker.com/part/pny-memory-md8192kd31333


    Seagate Barracuda 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM
    http://pcpartpicker.com/part/seaga [...] t1000dm003


    EVGA GTX 660 2GB OC
    http://pcpartpicker.com/part/evga- [...] 2gp42662kr


    Corsair Carbide 300R ATX
    http://pcpartpicker.com/part/corsair-case-300r


    XFX ProSeries 450W 80 PLUS Bronze Certified
    http://pcpartpicker.com/part/xfx-p [...] p1450sx2b9


    Sony DVD/CD Writer
    http://pcpartpicker.com/part/sony- [...] -ad7280s0b


    Microsoft Wireless Desktop 2000 Wireless w/Mouse


    Get this PSU instead: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817159124

    It is cheaper, provides more power, and is still 80+.

    Get a 7870 instead of a 660. The 7870 is quite stronger (660 is barely better than a 7850), and costs the same.

    I recommend this one: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814161404
Ask a new question

Read More

New Build Systems Product