Trouble with 2 DHCP Client trying to Bypass 25 IP limit on Sonicwall

vtzach88

Distinguished
Nov 25, 2011
Hello,

I work for a small Fire Department we have a Sonicwall firewall that has a 25 IP Address DHCP cap. We are having trouble exceding that with Smartphones using wifi. We only have 8 hardwired desktops with 8-10 laptops using WiFi (we have volunteers that reside in the Fire Station and use the WiFi for their personal computers). Anywhere from 8-12 of our smartphones that use WiFi as well. On the server we want to be able to save data to the Network Storage (as 1TB Iomega NAS) and Print school work to the Printers. We have the following setup:
DSL Modem  Sonicwall Firewall (with 25 IP Address cap license) using  Cisco 16 Port unmanaged switch  WAP54G Access Point ( I purchased this personally thinking it was the correct item to get wifi and it does work but since I switch out with a WRT54G router using DHCP now we get an “unable to assign ip” message some of the time.
Things to know: Both the firewall and modem are DHCP enabled. The sonic wall does have a DHCP pass-through option (however I don’t want to change something and not be able to bring it back). The MODEM is set to 192.168.1.1. The Firewall is set to 192.168.168.2 through .26. The last and most important thing to remember I am self thought and very new to the whole networking skills so bare with me.
Questions: Should I turn on the DCHP bypass on the sonicwall firewall and use the modem to assign ips?
Or Should I put back my WRT54G and somehow configure the DHCP IP pooling to something else to work with the other devices on the network?

Any Help would be greatly appreciated

Why not just place another NAT router behind the sonicwall?! That's exactly what a NAT router does best. It takes one IP and makes it accessible to multiple IPs, and completely oblivious to the sonicwall (all it ever sees is the one IP assigned to the router's WAN port). In theory, you could connect an unlimited number of users this way. Just keep adding more routers in parallel and downstream, as needed. Granted, it gets more complicated when you want to access resources on downstream routers from upstream routers due to firewalls, but for mostly outgoing internet access by smartphones, tablets, etc., it shouldn’t be an issue.