PC ugrade recommendations

danbur2

Distinguished
Nov 15, 2011
Hello Everyone,

I built my PC about four years ago and was considering upgrading the motherboard, cpu, and ram. I am considering adding these:

Motherboard:Gigabyte lga 115

CPU: Intel Core i5-3450

RAM: CORSAIR Vengeance 16GB (2 x 8GB) 240-Pin DDR3

I had help with the original build so am not an expert at this and was wondering if anyone could give any feed back on whether those upgrades would be compatible/ideal or if there are any recommendations on something that would be better that would be great.

I mainly use the PC for gaming and while it still runs well most games need to be on low nowadays to run fast.

I was also considering just adding two more sticks of the ram that are already in there as a cheaper option but i am not sure how much of an improvement that would be.

Thanks in advance for any advice

Current specs:

RAM: G.Skill 4GB

Hard Drive: western]http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16822136284]western digital wd1001fals[/url]

Samsang sata DVD
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16827151171

Motherboard: GIGABYTE GA-EP45-UD3R

CPU: Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600 Kentsfield 2.4GHz 2 x 4MB L2 Cache

Graphics card: AMD Radeon HD 6800

PSU: thermaltke 600w

You can't use ddr2 with any newer Intel cpus, so sell the old ram or the board/cpu/ram as a combo package. Select a board with the ports you will use everyday. The B75 chipset is a better value. I had some newegg links, but they aren't working right now. Gigabyte makes a B75 board with four ram slots for $75 with free shipping at newegg. If you like gigabyte, then I would get that one.

danbur2

Distinguished
Nov 15, 2011
Thanks for the advice o1die. That motherboard looks like it might fit my setup a bit better/save some money. Also, i was a bit unclear: i was thinking of 4 more gigs of the same RAM i have now and not buying new motherboard/cpu.

thanks for the advice!

rayner428

Honorable
Dec 3, 2012
Or Maybe More HDD's Or SSD's For Storage.Depends On What You do

1.Gaming=If You Grow The Amount Of Games It Will Drastically Lower Storage
2.Office=In A long Time It Will Get Filled Up
3.Music=Very Long
4.Films=Very Easy
5.Personal=Depends On File Size And Frequent Updating
6.Videos=Depends On File Size And Frequent Downloads
7.Applications (General Purpose)=Depends On File Size,Files Saved To Disk To Be Used By The Applications,Updates
8.Operating System (I Know This Is Absurd But It Will Still Count:Will Take Up A Specific Amount Of Storage
9.Shared Usage Depends On What They Do With Your System

Glad I Can Be Good Help.Happy Investing In Your System! ;) P.S Private Message Me Freely For My Feedback Anytime I'll Be Happy To Do So :)