PC ugrade recommendations

Hello Everyone,

I built my PC about four years ago and was considering upgrading the motherboard, cpu, and ram. I am considering adding these:

Motherboard:Gigabyte lga 115

CPU: Intel Core i5-3450

RAM: CORSAIR Vengeance 16GB (2 x 8GB) 240-Pin DDR3

I had help with the original build so am not an expert at this and was wondering if anyone could give any feed back on whether those upgrades would be compatible/ideal or if there are any recommendations on something that would be better that would be great.

I mainly use the PC for gaming and while it still runs well most games need to be on low nowadays to run fast.

I was also considering just adding two more sticks of the ram that are already in there as a cheaper option but i am not sure how much of an improvement that would be.

Thanks in advance for any advice

Current specs:

RAM: G.Skill 4GB

Hard Drive: western digital wd1001fals

Samsang sata DVD
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16827151171

Motherboard: GIGABYTE GA-EP45-UD3R

CPU: Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600 Kentsfield 2.4GHz 2 x 4MB L2 Cache

Graphics card: AMD Radeon HD 6800

PSU: thermaltke 600w
6 answers Last reply
More about ugrade recommendations
  1. You can't use ddr2 with any newer Intel cpus, so sell the old ram or the board/cpu/ram as a combo package. Select a board with the ports you will use everyday. The B75 chipset is a better value. I had some newegg links, but they aren't working right now. Gigabyte makes a B75 board with four ram slots for $75 with free shipping at newegg. If you like gigabyte, then I would get that one.
  2. Thanks for the advice o1die. That motherboard looks like it might fit my setup a bit better/save some money. Also, i was a bit unclear: i was thinking of 4 more gigs of the same RAM i have now and not buying new motherboard/cpu.

thanks for the advice!
  3. Don't waste your money on more ddr2; you won't notice much performance difference. Save the money for a proper upgrade later.
  4. Invest In An Nvidia/AMD GPU It Will Give More Performance In 3d Rendering,Gaming Or General Purposes. Trust Me This Will Be The Best Investment In Your System
  5. If You're Not Using Anything Graphically Intensive Invest In Case Fans,Liquid Cooling,CPU Coolers For The Money. This Is Also A Good Investment In Your System.
  6. Or Maybe More HDD's Or SSD's For Storage.Depends On What You do

1.Gaming=If You Grow The Amount Of Games It Will Drastically Lower Storage
    2.Office=In A long Time It Will Get Filled Up
    3.Music=Very Long
    4.Films=Very Easy
    5.Personal=Depends On File Size And Frequent Updating
    6.Videos=Depends On File Size And Frequent Downloads
    7.Applications (General Purpose)=Depends On File Size,Files Saved To Disk To Be Used By The Applications,Updates
    8.Operating System (I Know This Is Absurd But It Will Still Count:Will Take Up A Specific Amount Of Storage
    9.Shared Usage Depends On What They Do With Your System

Glad I Can Be Good Help.Happy Investing In Your System! ;) P.S Private Message Me Freely For My Feedback Anytime I'll Be Happy To Do So :)
Ask a new question

Read More

Homebuilt Motherboards Systems Product