7850 Coil Whine On Startup

supergtr

Honorable
Aug 30, 2012
I bought an XFX 7850 Core Edition 1gb from Newegg and I just installed it today. The problem with this card is that it coil whines on startup until I log in to my profile. Do I need to RMA this card? I thought that an 450W XFX Power supply would do the trick but nothing is wrong with it. I even took out the card just to make sure and the card seems to be the problem.

Solution

Coil whine is normal, very audible coil whine is not. Coil whine under high loads can happen and is usually not a cause for concern but if you're hearing it while its idle something bad could happen when the current really starts flowing.

Coil whine is normal, very audible coil whine is not. Coil whine under high loads can happen and is usually not a cause for concern but if you're hearing it while its idle something bad could happen when the current really starts flowing.

Solution

Coil whine has little to do with reference/non-reference. It's mostly related to component quality and construction quality; XFX is a solid OEM but even a few slip through their QA. Even getting knocked around hard enough during S&H could cause coil whine. Non-reference cards typically have different coolers and firmware but the VRMs don't differ by much.

If you're happy with the performance of your 7850 then I suggest that you contact XFX for an RMA, they have an amazing warranty service in North America