Sign in with
Your question
Solved

Video Card has no signal to monitor

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
October 15, 2012 11:09:10 PM

My MSI Radeon 6870 video card appears to have stopped sending signal to the monitor. From when I got it (February this year) to now it has worked perfectly, but now I cannot find the issue. The card has power (the LEDs are on and the fans spin) and is properly seated (I reseated it just to be sure). The cable between the card and the monitor works fine, as I now have it connected to the motherboard's onboard video.

Any suggestions on how to isolate the problem before I try to call in the warranty and get it replaced?
a c 91 U Graphics card
a b C Monitor
October 15, 2012 11:19:36 PM

the card have 2 dvi connectors ?.. does the mobo have 2 pci-e slots ? even if it's 4x try the card in it. Remove cable and swap ends.... dvi/monitor--monitor/dvi........... have an HDMI adapter ? have another cable ?
a b U Graphics card
October 15, 2012 11:31:06 PM

Have you updated windows lately? I did recently and the Acer display driver included in auto updates did the same thing to me. I rolled back Windows and set it to manual and removed the driver. Also, have you updated your AMD driver for the graphics card? If not, you may want to try that too.
Related resources
October 16, 2012 12:54:14 AM

I switched the card to the second PCI-E slot, and the monitor started getting signal again.

Unfortunately, now the colors are messed up in a way I can't describe, the resolution is locked at 640x480, windows doesn't recognize having a video card at all, and trying to install the ATI drivers for the card results in a bluescreen linked to "atikmpag.sys" (until I boot into safe mode and remove the driver with Driver Sweeper).

What's especially odd is that I used the computer just this morning, less than 8 hours ago, and everything was running fine.

Best solution

a c 91 U Graphics card
a b C Monitor
October 16, 2012 2:46:58 AM

if you can try the card in another machine or a friends machine I'd do it. otherwise RMA.
October 16, 2012 5:02:24 AM

Best answer selected by warhammer3025.
October 16, 2012 5:02:27 AM

I've tried the video card in a different (confirmed to be functional) machine, and the same problems occurred.

So the video card itself is borked, and I'll be contacting MSI customer support to get it replaced in the morning. Thanks all for your help in trying to diagnose the issue!
!