7970 Sapphire Vapor-X noisy? Asus Direct cu ii ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

ferris847

Distinguished
Jun 23, 2012
I have some questions that i really can't find much of the answer by researching.
Originally my plan is to get the Sapphire vapor-X Ghz edition.
And run 2 way Crossfire over 3 screens, 5670x1080.

1>I would like to ask if anybody know the noise level on the Sapphire Vapor-X 7970ghz ? Would it be really noisy?

Also i have the Sapphire 7950 vapor-x come across to me £100($160) cheaper each, so £200 cheaper by two cards

2> Would 7950 in Crossfire be enough to run 3 1080p monitor?? how many percentage lost in performance compare to the 7970?

3> After the driver update, how is the 7950 compare to the gtx 670??

4> I have heard in Crossfire, overclocking cannot go as far as a single card could and is not much of performance increase, I wonder if this is true? If it is, am I better off getting a pair of Sapphire OC boost for £30 cheaper each?

5> i have heard the Asus directcu ii top is one of the quietest 7970 out there and also works so well with the mobo i have, the rampage iv extreme. But it is £20 more expensive than the sapphire ghz.

Which would you recommend ?

7970 Sapphire vapor-x ghz ?
7970 Sapphire OC boost ? (30 cheaper per card)
7970 Asus Direct cu 2 ? (20 more per card)
7950 Sapphire vapor-x ? (100 cheaper)

Any comment or thoughts would be appreciated!

Solution
Quote: "The tested graphics card was installed in a system that was completely passively cooled. That is, passive PSU, passive CPU cooler, passive cooling on the motherboard, and on a solid state drive.

This setup allows us to eliminate secondary noise sources and test only the video card. To be more compliant with standards like DIN 45635 (we are not claiming to be fully DIN 45635 certified), the measurement was conducted at 100 cm of distance and at 160 cm over the floor. The ambient background noise level in the room was well below 20 dBA for all measurements. Please note that the dBA scale is not linear but logarithmic. 40 dBA is not twice as loud as 20 dBA. A 3 dBA increase results in double the sound pressure. The human hearing...

poweruser_24

Honorable
Feb 24, 2012
I have a 7970 DCII, and I would not call it quiet. It is within the decibel range advertised, but it is the loudest item in my PC, and is seriously distracting even when idle (I am in front of it 10+ hours a day).

For noise on a standard release card (i.e. no aftermarket cooling) I find the ASUS nvidia series far quieter. e.g. Had a 580GTX DCII, and it was around 19 decibel, compared to the 30 odd that the 7970 puts out. I know they are different generations, but you'd think sitting at the desktop aint too hard.

Anyway, I run 3 dell U2711's on one 7970, mainly for desktop usage (got the card as it had 3 DP outputs), so it doesn't get strained much, although it will run eyefinity across all 3 provided I don't max everything to the hilt, and dont expect 100fps.

I've decided to move to a water loop to cool the gfx card to lessen the noise myself, so if you'r concerned about noise, then I'd recommend you head that way too, or a really good pair of headphones.

ferris847

Distinguished
Jun 23, 2012

thanks for replying, sounds like i am better off with the sapphire vapor ghz version

ferris847

Distinguished
Jun 23, 2012

I have already mentioned more than once i am running 2 way crossfire :S

lasttimeii

Honorable
Jun 24, 2012
5760x1080*? o,o

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8EtIlg23AtU bf3 settings on auto

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=96oMo2g4apw setting @ max

but yea i only use 1 7970 @ 5760x1080 in close quarter i don't lag i don't lag at all i think its not worth it going 2 way cf for some games even if i did lag in bf3 i would only lower the 4x aa and i don't really see a differences when i do lower it but that's just me .

i were you just get 2 7950 vapor x not worth getting 2 7970 just oc the 7950 to the max :)

Quote: "The tested graphics card was installed in a system that was completely passively cooled. That is, passive PSU, passive CPU cooler, passive cooling on the motherboard, and on a solid state drive.

This setup allows us to eliminate secondary noise sources and test only the video card. To be more compliant with standards like DIN 45635 (we are not claiming to be fully DIN 45635 certified), the measurement was conducted at 100 cm of distance and at 160 cm over the floor. The ambient background noise level in the room was well below 20 dBA for all measurements. Please note that the dBA scale is not linear but logarithmic. 40 dBA is not twice as loud as 20 dBA. A 3 dBA increase results in double the sound pressure. The human hearing perception is a bit different and it is generally accepted that a 10 dBA increase doubles the perceived sound level. The 3D load noise levels were tested with a stressful game, not with Furmark.

The Sapphire HD 7950 Vapor-X is reasonably quiet in both idle and load, much quieter than the AMD reference design. Temperatures are very low with below 70°C under load. There is some additional potential to quiet down the fan to match those super quiet custom GTX 670s."
Source: http://www.techpowerup.com/reviews/Sapphire/HD_7950_Vapor-X/27.html

Solution

poweruser_24

Honorable
Feb 24, 2012

I sit in a smallish room (2.3m x 2.6m) with a computer for 8+ hours a day. I work from home so don't have much in the way of other noise. The fan on the video card is the loudest thing in the computer as the CPU is watercooled (very quiet pump), PSU is heatsink cooled, and the couple of fans are 600rpm, and fairly silent, there are no HDD's, only SSD's.

The fans on the video card at 20% measures at about 32db at head height when sitting the my desk. Computer is on the floor just to the right of my desk when sitting.

When playing games, and the fans on the video card spin up, the sound pressure goes up to about 37db @ 30%, 45db@50%, 54db@60%. I haven't got it higher than 60%.

I don't like noise, it is distracting, especially when in a range that is constantly distracting. I don't have headphones on all day.

The 580GTX I had was quieter. If it had 3xDP, I would go back to using it.

Status
Not open for further replies.