Canon Acknowledges Problems with BG-E2 Grip for 20D

Last response: in Digital Camera
April 29, 2005 9:43:42 AM

OMG, can this be true that Canon has a problem with a camera,
noooooooooooooooooooo way. Add that to the lockup, CF failures and banding
problems, this a very sad day for Canon.

"Steven M. Scharf" <scharf.steven@linkearth.net> wrote in message
> http://www.photographyblog.com/index.php/weblog/comment...
> bg_e2_battery_grip_problems/

Related resources
April 29, 2005 9:43:43 AM

In article <iQjce.32737$5F3.19016@news-server.bigpond.net.au>, no@email.com
says...
> OMG, can this be true that Canon has a problem with a camera,
> noooooooooooooooooooo way. Add that to the lockup, CF failures and banding
> problems, this a very sad day for Canon.
>
> "Steven M. Scharf" <scharf.steven@linkearth.net> wrote in message
> > http://www.photographyblog.com/index.php/weblog/comment...
> > bg_e2_battery_grip_problems/

This is no more than a small hic-cup in the steady parade of cameras from
Canon.

Did you think this is going to make all the people with 20Ds send them back
to Canon and demand the money back????

--
Larry Lynch
Mystic, Ct.

"Steven M. Scharf" <scharf.steven@linkearth.net> wrote in message
> http://www.photographyblog.com/index.php/weblog/comment...
> bg_e2_battery_grip_problems/

Actually I phrophersized that sooner or later Canon would need to do a
recall on these grips several month's ago. I don't know what they are going
to do explicitly but all I do when some presents a 20D with a grip is bend
the contacts to provide more contact preasure. This has fixed all of them so
far.

Douglas
Anonymous
April 29, 2005 4:10:16 PM

"Larry" <lastingimagery@comcast.dotnet> wrote in message
> In article <iQjce.32737$5F3.19016@news-server.bigpond.net.au>,
> no@email.com
> says...
>> OMG, can this be true that Canon has a problem with a camera,
>> noooooooooooooooooooo way. Add that to the lockup, CF failures and
>> banding
>> problems, this a very sad day for Canon.
>>
>> "Steven M. Scharf" <scharf.steven@linkearth.net> wrote in message
>> > http://www.photographyblog.com/index.php/weblog/comment...
>> > bg_e2_battery_grip_problems/
>> >

> This is no more than a small hic-cup in the steady parade of cameras from
> Canon.
>
> Did you think this is going to make all the people with 20Ds send them
> back
> to Canon and demand the money back????

Sorry man I was baiting the troll, sorry it hooked you!
Anonymous
April 29, 2005 7:25:23 PM

"Larry" <lastingimagery@comcast.dotnet> wrote in message
> In article <iQjce.32737$5F3.19016@news-server.bigpond.net.au>,
no@email.com
> says...
> > OMG, can this be true that Canon has a problem with a camera,
> > noooooooooooooooooooo way. Add that to the lockup, CF failures and
banding
> > problems, this a very sad day for Canon.
> >
> > "Steven M. Scharf" <scharf.steven@linkearth.net> wrote in message

http://www.photographyblog.com/index.php/weblog/comment...
> > > bg_e2_battery_grip_problems/
> > >

> This is no more than a small hic-cup in the steady parade of cameras from
> Canon.
>
> Did you think this is going to make all the people with 20Ds send them
back
> to Canon and demand the money back????

At least this is a minor issue, that is fixable. Not so easy to correct the
inherent problems in some other DSLRs.
Anonymous
April 29, 2005 7:25:24 PM

Steven M. Scharf wrote:

> At least this is a minor issue, that is fixable. Not so easy to correct the
> inherent problems in some other DSLRs.

If this were a Nikon problem you'd be howling about poor Nikon quality.

Please add this Canon problem to your website (eg: show a fit of
objectivity). Mention that people's 20D's will be hors de combat for
periods of two weeks to two months.

And add a bit about back focus issues as well.

Cheers,
Alan

-- e-meil: Remove FreeLunch.
Anonymous
April 29, 2005 9:56:33 PM

Steven M. Scharf wrote:

> problems). Alan can afford to be biased like that, but I don't want to
> jeopardize the objective reputation of my web site.

You jeaopardized it yourself.

-- e-meil: Remove FreeLunch.
Anonymous
April 29, 2005 11:17:00 PM

news:D 4tn50$ajm$1@inews.gazeta.pl...
> Steven M. Scharf wrote:
>
> > At least this is a minor issue, that is fixable. Not so easy to correct
the
> > inherent problems in some other DSLRs.
>
> If this were a Nikon problem you'd be howling about poor Nikon quality.

Hardly. I am always pleased when a manufacturer acknowledges a problem and
offers to correct it, rather than trying to hide it or claim that it doesn't
exist.

> Please add this Canon problem to your website (eg: show a fit of
objectivity).

It was added the day after the press release. I am working to keep my web
site completely objective, unlike your posts.

>Mention that people's 20D's will be hors de combat for
> periods of two weeks to two months.

This doesn't appear to be a problem with the body, but with the grip, at
least according to the press release. So I don't know where you come up with
the idea that the people that have a vertical grip will be without their
cameras for up to two months (though accuracy has never been your strong
point!).

> And add a bit about back focus issues as well.

What issues would these be?
Anonymous
April 29, 2005 11:17:01 PM

Steven M. Scharf wrote:

> "Alan Browne" <alan.browne@freelunchVideotron.ca> wrote in message
> news:D 4tn50$ajm$1@inews.gazeta.pl...
>
>>Steven M. Scharf wrote:
>>

>>>At least this is a minor issue, that is fixable. Not so easy to correct
>
> the
>
>>>inherent problems in some other DSLRs.
>>
>>If this were a Nikon problem you'd be howling about poor Nikon quality.
>

> Hardly. I am always pleased when a manufacturer acknowledges a problem and
> offers to correct it, rather than trying to hide it or claim that it doesn't
> exist.
>

>>Please add this Canon problem to your website (eg: show a fit of
>
> objectivity).
>
> It was added the day after the press release. I am working to keep my web
> site completely objective, unlike your posts.

Bwahshssh! Oh cripes that hurt. Look behind you, is anyone dressed
all in white chasing you?

>>Mention that people's 20D's will be hors de combat for
>>periods of two weeks to two months.
>

> This doesn't appear to be a problem with the body, but with the grip, at
> least according to the press release. So I don't know where you come up with
> the idea that the people that have a vertical grip will be without their
> cameras for up to two months (though accuracy has never been your strong
> point!).

Repairs on Nikon equipment are variously reported to take 2 weeks to 2
months depending on where and what.

>>And add a bit about back focus issues as well.
>

> What issues would these be?

Various posts refer.

Cheers,
Alan.

-- e-meil: Remove FreeLunch.
Anonymous
April 29, 2005 11:17:02 PM

Alan Browne wrote:

> Repairs on Nikon equipment are variously reported to take 2 weeks to 2
> months depending on where and what.

I meant Canon there. OTOH I have heard both glorious and woeful tales
regarding Nikon warranty service.

Cheers,
Alan.

-- e-meil: Remove FreeLunch.
Anonymous
April 30, 2005 1:48:40 AM

news:D 4u95u$na7$3@inews.gazeta.pl...
> Steven M. Scharf wrote:
>
>> "Alan Browne" <alan.browne@freelunchVideotron.ca> wrote in message
>> news:D 4tn50$ajm$1@inews.gazeta.pl...

>> the

>>>If this were a Nikon problem you'd be howling about poor Nikon quality.
>>

>> Hardly. I am always pleased when a manufacturer acknowledges a problem
>> and
>> offers to correct it, rather than trying to hide it or claim that it
>> doesn't
>> exist.
>>

>>>Please add this Canon problem to your website (eg: show a fit of
>>
>> objectivity).
>>
>> It was added the day after the press release. I am working to keep my web
>> site completely objective, unlike your posts.
>
> Bwahshssh! Oh cripes that hurt. Look behind you, is anyone dressed all
> in white chasing you?

Yeah right, objective???? You have no understanding of the word Steven, that
makes makes you either very stupid or it means you have an agender, which is
it. Even the data on your site is inconsistent and only gives some of the
information that is available, not surprising that it all highlights whatYOU
think is important and you fail to understand that posting in a group where
most of the people already have their camera system in place will not win
you friends when you constatntly bag out the equipment that they are using
and getting great results from. I am sure even the Canon people are sick of
you, they just want to take photos.

>>>Mention that people's 20D's will be hors de combat for
>>>periods of two weeks to two months.
>>

>> This doesn't appear to be a problem with the body, but with the grip, at
>> least according to the press release. So I don't know where you come up
>> with
>> the idea that the people that have a vertical grip will be without their
>> cameras for up to two months (though accuracy has never been your strong
>> point!).
>
> Repairs on Nikon equipment are variously reported to take 2 weeks to 2
> months depending on where and what.
>

>>>And add a bit about back focus issues as well.
>>

>> What issues would these be?
>
> Various posts refer.
>
> Cheers,
> Alan.

> -- e-meil: Remove FreeLunch.
Anonymous
April 30, 2005 2:00:42 AM

Alan,

Just a quick note to say I really like your work, you have some really
awesome photos.
Anonymous
April 30, 2005 2:00:43 AM

Pete D wrote:
> Alan,
>
> Just a quick note to say I really like your work, you have some really
> awesome photos.

Really! Where??

(Thanks... I don't know of any that are "awesome" but a few good uns
here and there).

Cheers,
Alan.

-- e-meil: Remove FreeLunch.
Anonymous
April 30, 2005 2:04:06 AM

news:D 4uaic$6s$1@inews.gazeta.pl...
> Steven M. Scharf wrote:
>

>> problems). Alan can afford to be biased like that, but I don't want to
>> jeopardize the objective reputation of my web site.
>
> You jeaopardized it yourself.

He has to be the most delusional troll I have ever seen here. He just does
not get it at all.
Anonymous
April 30, 2005 2:11:16 AM

news:D 4ub3u$1uj$2@inews.gazeta.pl...
> Pete D wrote:
>> Alan,
>>
>> Just a quick note to say I really like your work, you have some really
>> awesome photos.
>
> Really! Where??
>
> (Thanks... I don't know of any that are "awesome" but a few good uns here
> and there).
>
> Cheers,
> Alan.

Also sorry if I seem as if I think this Steven whats his name is complete
idiot, it's just that I think he has an agender and I think he is an idiot.
Thats just my opinion though of course.
Anonymous
April 30, 2005 11:48:29 PM

> I agree with Bob. Your 'objectivity' is long, long gone. Suddenly
problems
> with Canon can't be put on your site, but any other vendor is fair game.

What are you talking about? I added the BG-E2 problem to my site the day
after Canon announced the service campaign. I have included both pros and
cons of all the cameras on my site, including Canon.

> How much is Canon paying you? Better be a lot to completely sell out.

Surely you can come up with something less stupid than that statement, but
then again maybe not.

Try to look beyond defending whatever particular piece of gear you have
chosen to purchase, and don't get upset with web sites and/or people, that
do not hesitate to state both the good and bad attributes of specific
equipmnent.
!