Can I Install A Graphics Card On My Laptop?

onionmk

Honorable
Oct 6, 2012
Hi guys, I know this topic is slightly worn out and the general answer goes something along the lines of "no" or "you can't". I was wondering though, if it is possible for me to install a dedicated graphics card onto my laptop. It's a Fujitsu Lifebook AH532 i5-3210M 6 GB RAM and 500 GB on the Hard disk (I'm sure you can find the full spec if you searched it). It already has integrated graphics (Intel HD 4000) on the CPU but there is another version of this laptop which also has an Nvidia GT 640M LE GPU installed. Most of the time people are told they can't upgrade because they wont have any space or slot available but surely mine should? If so, where could I go to get a graphics card installed professionally? I'm also aware that the BIOS must be able to recognize the GPU but how would I find this out?

Thanks in advance for any help :) ..

Kiowa789

Distinguished
Oct 8, 2012
Can't.
Integrated graphics = irremovable chip on the processor.
also, almost all laptops use integrated graphics, if you want a computer that can take another GPU, its going to be 3 inches thick, and weigh 20 pounds.
and that other model? Again, integrated, or uber sleek card (Still doubted on that).
Sorry to burst your bubble.
You can't upgrade that computer.

onionmk

Honorable
Oct 6, 2012
But other AH532 models support both HD 4000 and dedicated graphics and allows switching between both through NVIDIA optimus technology. If there is a laptop which contains everything my laptop contains PLUS a dedicated graphics card, surely my laptop will be able to accommodate a dedicated graphics card too?

onionmk

Honorable
Oct 6, 2012
and Kiowa789 I'm gonna have to disagree with you on that one- "almost all laptops use integrated graphics, if you want a computer that can take another GPU, its going to be 3 inches thick, and weigh 20 pounds." If I wanted to upgrade a desktop PC I know that's what I would have to do but I don't think you're familiar with notebook graphics cards. Read this and you'll know what I'm on about http://www.geforce.co.uk/hardware/desktop-gpus/geforce-gt-640m-le/features . "Automatically transitions between NVIDIA graphics and Intel Integrated Graphics"- This points out that the notebook can have integrated graphics and dedicated graphics installed.

Keep your comments coming guys, it really helps!

macazian

Distinguished
Sep 12, 2006
The video bios to your Nvidia GPU usually will be custom to Fujistsu's. That's usually how oem manufacturers do it on notebooks so that the OEM part will only work for your NB. E.g. You will have to purchase parts directly from Fujitsu. That's also not mentioning that the TDP/size of the GPU might only be for your specific form factor and oem heatsink design. So in short, not likely.

jonathan_569

Honorable
Oct 8, 2012
If your GPU is soldered to your Laptops' motherboard then there is no way to install another Graphics card in it.. There is only 2 types of GPU for laptops i know of 1 is soldered onto the motherboard, the other is using the MXM Type Connector.(Most high end laptops use this, e.g. Alienware M17x, Sager.. Etc.)

onionmk

Honorable
Oct 6, 2012
I've contacted Fujitsu- hopefully they'll get back to me soon and clarify everything. Appreciate the messages from everyone thanks for helping me out

The 640m is soldered onto the mobo meaning you need a new mobo, the same as the other model. Only 660m and up have mxm cards which your laptop doesn't have an mxm slot. The models with the 640m also have a different heatsink to connect with the gpu and also a larger power brick. Since the integrated is on the cpu your current heatsink only connects to that. As said only high end gaming laptops usually have an mxm slot. Yours is rather low end.