Sign in with
Your question

Gigabyte z77-d3h not recognizing radeon 7850

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
October 16, 2012 7:49:45 AM

Hello,
So a little while ago my friend bought a new computer parts of which were a gigabyte z77-d3h motherboard and sapphire radeon 7850 graphics card.

When the monitor was connected to the card there was no output at all. The monitor just stayed in power save mode and when turned off and on it said it had no signal. However the onboard graphics worked just fine.

I swapped him my 6950 to test the pci-e slot and it worked perfectly and the 7850 worked perfectly in my setup which used an Asus p6t-se board.

Recently I just upgraded my CPU and motherboard and I got a Gigabyte z77-d3h as well. Now the 7850 will not work on this board either. All my drivers and everything are the same as I didnt reinstall windows or anything.

So for some reason the z77 board doesnt seem to like the 7850. I will swap the graphics cards back to see if that solves the problem for this new board but it still seems weird that the 7850 isnt working.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.
October 17, 2012 9:21:02 PM

The only difference that would matter is the older card is PCIe 2.1 and the newer card is 3.0
Is there any setting in BIOS that you need to enable for the slot(s) to recognize PCIe 3.0? It doesn't sound likely, but I'm grasping at straws here. The reason the 7850 worked in your old board may be because it was a PCIe 2.0 board, so the card just defaulted to that speed.
m
l
November 14, 2012 7:40:58 AM

Hi

Have you had any luck solving this problem? I have recently purchased the same board and a XFX Radeon 7850 and I am having exactly the same problem. The card works in the PCI 4x slot and in the PCIe 3.0 slot when it is limited to 2.0 in the BIOS. It won't detect when the PCIe 3.0 slot is set to 3.0 or auto. Gigabyte tech support has been of little use so far.

Thanks
m
l
Related resources
December 3, 2012 6:59:16 PM

I've run into the same problem on my Z77-UD3H build with a Gigabyte 7850 (OC 2GB) card. I cant get it to give me any video when its plugged into the PCIe 3.0 slot. I have gotten it to work one slot down in the 8x slot, but it's running at PCI 1.1 now.

Most of the clues I've seen talk about RMA'ing the board. Has anyone been able to solve this without RMA'ing? It seems like more of a bios/driver issue to me. I'm going to keep hacking at it...
m
l
Anonymous
December 18, 2012 9:39:41 AM

Beef Supreme said:
I've run into the same problem on my Z77-UD3H build with a Gigabyte 7850 (OC 2GB) card. I cant get it to give me any video when its plugged into the PCIe 3.0 slot. I have gotten it to work one slot down in the 8x slot, but it's running at PCI 1.1 now.

Most of the clues I've seen talk about RMA'ing the board. Has anyone been able to solve this without RMA'ing? It seems like more of a bios/driver issue to me. I'm going to keep hacking at it...

Any solution found to this problem? I have a Z77-d3h and radeon 7950 and have the same problem... Would also like to solve this without RMA... Don't want to risk anything with getting the CPU out again, I'm not a big pro at that stuff.
m
l
December 25, 2012 4:38:23 AM

Sorry guys I have been using my 6950 since the problem occurred so I haven't made any progress figuring out why it hasn't worked. There was one thing I wanted to check though, in the BIOS there is an option for setting which PCI speed to use. But since I don't have access to a 7000 series card at the moment I can't check to see if it changed anything.
m
l
!