Sign in with
Your question

Uncomprehensible display problem

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
October 16, 2012 8:43:18 AM

Hello everyone ^^
I'm posting here because i'm experiencing a really incomprehensible problem with my TV wich i use as a monitor.
That said, here are some details...
On windows, everything is shown in a really grainy way, texts are over-sharpened and the general quality is very low compared to what it should be.
Initially i thought it could have been a problem with cable's, so I bought two different HDMI cable's without success.
I also tried using VGA cable's but it would only recognize a resolution of 1600x1200 (TV resolution is 1920x1080).
Coming to the really incomprehensible part (for me, at least), in games the quality is FLAWLESS.
I tested it on Battlefield 3, Battlefield: Bad Company 2, Call Of Duty: Modern Warfare 3, Dirt 3, Skyrim and various others without noticing any type of problem in the image quality.
I also tested it on Guild Wars 2, and in this game i noticed the same problem as in Windows.
I really have no clue what the problem could be, any help would be appreciated.
The TV I'm using is a Sharp Aquos LC-24LE510E
My setup is the following:
-Radeon 7950
-I5 3570k
-Asus P8Z77-v LK
Thank's in advance to anyone who can help me!

P.S: I wasn't sure about wich section to post this in, sorry if it's the wrong one
October 16, 2012 8:58:19 AM

You can't use a TV as a monitor, no wonder it looks awful.
October 16, 2012 9:03:05 AM

soundguruman said:
You can't use a TV as a monitor, no wonder it looks awful.

At the moment I don't have the money to buy a "real" monitor.
By the way as I specified above, the quality is low only in Windows, while in all games I tried except for Guild Wars 2, the quality is perfect.
Your answer doesn't explain that unfortunately.
Related resources
October 16, 2012 9:08:42 AM

JMashi said:
At the moment I don't have the money to buy a "real" monitor.
By the way as I specified above, the quality is low only in Windows, while in all games I tried except for Guild Wars 2, the quality is perfect.
Your answer doesn't explain that unfortunately.

The windows graphics were not made to run on a TV.
The games were.
October 16, 2012 9:31:10 AM

soundguruman said:
The windows graphics were not made to run on a TV.
The games were.

I see, but I still don't understand.
For the sake of it i tried connecting my pc through HDMI to the other tv's in my house, and 0 out of 2 presented the same problem as mine, even being fairly old ones (about 2 years old).
Of course I can't use them permanently myself or I would have solved the problem, but I don't understand why one tv presents the problem and the other doesn't if Windows graphics are in any case not made to run on TV's in general.
As I said, I don't have the money to buy a "real" monitor at the moment, but how much does a good gaming monitor cost?
October 16, 2012 9:47:14 AM

I think the picture in the tv is not interlaced or something (not sure what it called) as monitor do...

so text will became hard to read.... that just how it made...

had u try to calibrate "clear type Text" see if it helps....
October 16, 2012 10:02:58 AM

rdc85 said:
I think the picture in the tv is not interlaced or something (not sure what it called) as monitor do...

so text will became hard to read.... that just how it made...

had u try to calibrate "clear type Text" see if it helps....

-cut
October 16, 2012 12:03:49 PM

Good gaming monitor could be expensive...... as well as multimedia ones...
also selecting monitor is harder than slecting proc/gpu/ram they used marketing names at they spec (what the heck...) and their naming is make head hurts...

but in general most budget monitor could do the job done......
for gaming u could aim at 19"-24" TN panel monitor with 5 ms around 200$
for entertainment u could aim for 19"-24" IPS panel ones around 300$

edit: as the other TVs are they are same brand as yours? (actually are they same price hehehee :D )
!