Combined Firewire & Ethernet networking problem

Last response: in Networking
Share
April 4, 2005 9:44:52 PM

Archived from groups: alt.comp.networking.connectivity (More info?)

Hi,

My setup is as follows:
I am a computer musician and use a laptop (XP Home SP2) in conjunction
with a desktop machine (XP Pro SP1) to make my music and I have
developed a system using the network to integrate the two machines.
The network applications I run in this application are as follows:
MaxiVista - allows the use of the laptop as a second monitor for the
desktop machine
Apulsoft Wormhole - a VST plugin (for use in eg. Cubase SX) which
allows the transmission of digial audio across the network.
The machines are connected using a standard network connection via a
small switch, which is also connected to the internet via a firewalled
router and thence a cable modem. The desktop machine uses Sygate
Personal Firewall Free, and the laptop uses the XP Firewall.

This system works fine using just a standard network connection as
described above - but the standard network connection cannot carry
enough audio channels for my needs.

I am trying to directly connect the two computers using TCP/IP over
firewire in addition to the CAT5 connection that already exists, with
the intention of using the firewire connection solely for the
streaming of multi-channel digital audio between the two computers. I
have a CardBus firewire adaptor in the laptop and a PCI firewire card
in the desktop connected with a high-quality cable.

My problem is this:
I have been struggling to configure the network connections so that
each application uses only the connections I desire. I have set up
the IP addresses of the firewire card in each machine as follows:
Desktop - 10.0.0.1 (192.168.0.200 has also been tried)
Laptop - 10.0.0.1 (192.168.0.201 has also been tried)
I've tried multiple combinations of rules in the firewalls of both
machines but to no avail. What seems to happen is that MaxiVista will
always use the firewire connection if it is connected, but will not
operate correctly (Viewer program running but inactive). Sygate does
not seem capable of blocking MaxiVista from using the firewire
connection - no matter what rules are in place. Wormhole allows you
to specify IP addresses for remote machines so diverting its traffic
to the FW connection is not a problem, but I really want to prevent
all other network traffic (MaxiVista, internet and file sharing) from
using the firewire connection.

In addition, when trying to repair the firewire connections, XP tells
me that it could not 'clear the ARP cache'. Is this significant?
Also the firewire connection in the laptop also seems only to run at
100Mbps while the desktop FW card is running at 400Mpbs.

As you can no doubt gather I'm not any kind of networking expert :)  Is
what I'm trying to do feasible? What am i doing wrong? I've searched
google extensively but have so far been unable to find anyone with a
similar setup, so I'd be very grateful for any help that comes my way.

Many thanks for your time,

Colin
Anonymous
April 8, 2005 11:55:27 PM

Archived from groups: alt.comp.networking.connectivity (More info?)

the root of the problem I think is you are trying to make the xp machines
act like real routers and create two links going the same place. the only
way I think you could make this work is to setup multi link ppp and team the
interfaces into a single virtual interface and then setup quality of service
rules to route traffic over the correct interface. I don't know if XP
supports it, advanced networking like this normally is only possible with
windows server but I've not tried anything like this with windows server
either. and it is hard enough to make real routers do multi-link ppp
correctly sometimes, much less windows... I think this would also work, you
only have the firewire connecting the two machines and internet connection
sharing configured and enabled over that (firewire link) using the XP pro
machine as your internet gateway connected to the cable modem/internet
router..

good luck
jwm

"Colin" <colinbennun@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> [...]
> connection - no matter what rules are in place. Wormhole allows you
> to specify IP addresses for remote machines so diverting its traffic
> to the FW connection is not a problem, but I really want to prevent
> all other network traffic (MaxiVista, internet and file sharing) from
> using the firewire connection.
>
> In addition, when trying to repair the firewire connections, XP tells
> me that it could not 'clear the ARP cache'. Is this significant?
> Also the firewire connection in the laptop also seems only to run at
> 100Mbps while the desktop FW card is running at 400Mpbs.
>
> As you can no doubt gather I'm not any kind of networking expert :)  Is
> what I'm trying to do feasible? What am i doing wrong? I've searched
> google extensively but have so far been unable to find anyone with a
> similar setup, so I'd be very grateful for any help that comes my way.

Anonymous
April 10, 2005 12:37:43 AM

Colin wrote:

> [...]
> connection - no matter what rules are in place. Wormhole allows you
> to specify IP addresses for remote machines so diverting its traffic
> to the FW connection is not a problem, but I really want to prevent
> all other network traffic (MaxiVista, internet and file sharing) from
> using the firewire connection.
>
> In addition, when trying to repair the firewire connections, XP tells
> me that it could not 'clear the ARP cache'. Is this significant?
> Also the firewire connection in the laptop also seems only to run at
> 100Mbps while the desktop FW card is running at 400Mpbs.
>
> As you can no doubt gather I'm not any kind of networking expert :)  Is
> what I'm trying to do feasible? What am i doing wrong? I've searched
> google extensively but have so far been unable to find anyone with a
> similar setup, so I'd be very grateful for any help that comes my way.

I have done the same; the IP network mask is 255.255.255.0 on all
machines; the IP addresses have the first 3 quads common (in my case
10.0.0).
I use it only incidentally when transferring a lot of data between a
laptop and a PC and in that case I connect only the 1394 and switch off
the Ethernet and that works fine.
I suppose you can leave both interfaces connected and by setting a higher
metric value for the Ethernet, data should be automatically routed via the
1395, but I did not try that.

--
Veel plezier / Have fun
Bert

Mail via hccnet.nl
Related resources
April 10, 2005 4:08:49 PM

"opa.piloot" <opa.piloot@forget.it> wrote in message news:<425820F7.65F9FFF2@forget.it>...

> I have done the same; the IP network mask is 255.255.255.0 on all
> machines; the IP addresses have the first 3 quads common (in my case
> 10.0.0).
> I use it only incidentally when transferring a lot of data between a
> laptop and a PC and in that case I connect only the 1394 and switch off
> the Ethernet and that works fine.
> I suppose you can leave both interfaces connected and by setting a higher
> metric value for the Ethernet, data should be automatically routed via the
> 1395, but I did not try that.

Hi Bert, thanks very much for your reply.

As I said, I am by no means any kind of networking expert, so I don't
fully understand what you mean by 'metric' in this context. Could you
please take the time to explain briefly? Where would I find this
setting in my Windows network setup?

Also, I think you slightly misunderstood what I am trying to achieve -
I want to prevent all other applications from using the 1394
connection, but if your advice regarding the metric works then it
should make no difference, I guess.

Many thanks,

Colin
Anonymous
April 11, 2005 2:46:49 AM

Colin wrote:

> "opa.piloot" <opa.piloot@forget.it> wrote in message news:<425820F7.65F9FFF2@forget.it>...
>

> > I have done the same; the IP network mask is 255.255.255.0 on all
> > machines; the IP addresses have the first 3 quads common (in my case
> > 10.0.0).
> > I use it only incidentally when transferring a lot of data between a
> > laptop and a PC and in that case I connect only the 1394 and switch off
> > the Ethernet and that works fine.
> > I suppose you can leave both interfaces connected and by setting a higher
> > metric value for the Ethernet, data should be automatically routed via the
> > 1395, but I did not try that.
>
> Hi Bert, thanks very much for your reply.
>
> As I said, I am by no means any kind of networking expert, so I don't
> fully understand what you mean by 'metric' in this context. Could you
> please take the time to explain briefly? Where would I find this
> setting in my Windows network setup?
>
> Also, I think you slightly misunderstood what I am trying to achieve -
> I want to prevent all other applications from using the 1394
> connection, but if your advice regarding the metric works then it
> should make no difference, I guess.
>
> Many thanks,
>
> Colin

Hi Collin,

You can't prevent an application not to use a specific network route, because that is the
responsability of the network software itself and there is nothing wrong with that.
The metric has to do with the cost of transmission via a specific network interface.
You can specify that via
Network connections / properties / XXX-connection / properties / Internet protocol /
properties / advanced;
then you can select between an automatic metric or an interface metric that you can choose
freely.
For XXX you must read LAN (Ethernet) or 1394.
The idea is that the lower the cost of an interface is, the higher the probability that that
interface is used.
I think that you can try 10 for the LAN and 1 for 1394
But, like I said, I have never tried it under Windows.
Moreover, since I use a Dutch Windows XP version, I am not completely sure if the terminology
is correct and there may be more differences if you use an other Windows version.
This is about all the help I can give you.

--
Veel plezier / Have fun
Bert

Mail via hccnet.nl
Anonymous
April 11, 2005 7:35:12 PM

Archived from groups: alt.comp.networking.connectivity (More info?)

Ya'll,

I believe the 'route' cmd command can be configured to allow a certain
set of ip addresses to be forward thru a given NIC. I've used
breakpoint-www.cenobix.com to tell me which NIC is being used for a
given ip address.

enjoy!
netman
Anonymous
April 12, 2005 3:10:17 PM

jamesfin@yahoo.com wrote:

> Ya'll,
>
> I believe the 'route' cmd command can be configured to allow a certain
> set of ip addresses to be forward thru a given NIC. I've used
> breakpoint-www.cenobix.com to tell me which NIC is being used for a
> given ip address.
>
> enjoy!
> netman

True, but this only affects the physical route of data packets to a
specific IP adress, the recipient is not affected.
Moreover if the physical route is not available, another route is taken if
available.
As I said before, routing is a network responsability and cannot be used
to associate a NIC to an application.
If you change a route to a specific IP adress, the effect is the same for
all applications using that IP address.

--
Veel plezier / Have fun
Bert