Resolution setting problem. Anyone else?

Archived from groups: alt.games.wolfenstein (More info?)

Hi all. I often have a problem when playing ET or RTCW-MP where by my
screen resolution ends up changing to something besides what I had
set. This happens on 2 different computers that have completely
different graphics chip sets, so I don't think it's the computer or
graphics card. One PC is NVidia GeForce 2 and the other is ATI Radeon
9700 Pro.

So it goes like this... I go into a game and all of a sudden my rez is
like 800x600. I have to keep changing it every time ET is launched
almost (not every time, just a lot). Happens no matter which mod or
no mod at all is being played.

Getting tired of having to make this annoying change so much. Please
help!

Archived from groups: alt.games.wolfenstein (More info?)

"SgtSilicon"
> Hi all. I often have a problem when playing ET or RTCW-MP where by my
> screen resolution ends up changing to something besides what I had
> set. This happens on 2 different computers that have completely
> different graphics chip sets, so I don't think it's the computer or
> graphics card. One PC is NVidia GeForce 2 and the other is ATI Radeon
> 9700 Pro.
>
> So it goes like this... I go into a game and all of a sudden my rez is
> like 800x600. I have to keep changing it every time ET is launched
> almost (not every time, just a lot). Happens no matter which mod or
> no mod at all is being played.
>
> Getting tired of having to make this annoying change so much. Please
> help!

http://www.splashdamage.com/index.php?name=pnPHPbb2&file=viewtopic&t=3883

Jon

peter

Archived from groups: alt.games.wolfenstein (More info?)

> Hi all. I often have a problem when playing ET or RTCW-MP where by my
> screen resolution ends up changing to something besides what I had
> set. This happens on 2 different computers that have completely
> different graphics chip sets, so I don't think it's the computer or

ET stores resolution settings separately for each mod. Plus, every time the
game crashes resolution gets reset back to 800x600. Not sure but possibly
every time your mod version changes settings are reset as well.

I'd suggest setting up your resolution etc, then issue "writeconfig
myconfig" in console, and put "exec myconfig" line in your
etmain/autoexec.cfg file. Works for me...

Peter

Archived from groups: alt.games.wolfenstein (More info?)

Thanks for replying Peter. What is the command or line I need in a
config to set the desired resolution? I like 1280x1024 on the 9700
Pro, and 1024x768 on the old GeForce2.

And BTW, though I do sometimes get crashes, this problem is more
prevalent than that. Well, no matter the cause, your solution will at
least probably work around the problem.

On Mon, 27 Sep 2004 10:23:49 +0300, "Peter" <peter@greatnowhere.com>
wrote:

>> Hi all. I often have a problem when playing ET or RTCW-MP where by my
>> screen resolution ends up changing to something besides what I had
>> set. This happens on 2 different computers that have completely
>> different graphics chip sets, so I don't think it's the computer or
>
>ET stores resolution settings separately for each mod. Plus, every time the
>game crashes resolution gets reset back to 800x600. Not sure but possibly
>every time your mod version changes settings are reset as well.
>
>I'd suggest setting up your resolution etc, then issue "writeconfig
>myconfig" in console, and put "exec myconfig" line in your
>etmain/autoexec.cfg file. Works for me...
>
>Peter

Archived from groups: alt.games.wolfenstein (More info?)

Thanks so much. That explains exactly what happens, why, and how to
deal with it. Best solution, would be for the bug to be fixed in an
update, but then what can ask for a free program. :)