Looking for some guidance on a HTPC ~$800 and NAS

Navyjugg

Honorable
Dec 6, 2012
I am looking to build a HTPC for around ~$800 in February to pair with a new 65" TV LED LCD and Receiver.

I also am planning on consolidating all my WD Mybook drives and just getting a NAS to stream everything from with a capacity in the 4-5 TB range but I am not sure about what I should be spending on that.

My question is:

What should I be looking to get for my HTPC? I want it to look like a nice set top box and be relatively quiet. For the NAS, I would like that to be able to stream 1080p to the HTPC without an issue.

HTPC will be used for live TV from cable provider, extensive TV and movie collection (digital), and some moderate gaming (I don't expect it to run Crysis at full)

Also, if I am looking to cut down on button lag (horrible on WD TV and my cable box now) what else should I be putting money into?

Thanks

Solution
If you want a set top box look no further than Silverstone - they make great HTPC cases. You definitely want a video card with a native HDMI output (or go with AMD's new Trinity APU). Blu Ray would be good to have on these and you definitely want a wireless keyboard and mouse. TV Tuner is optional but not required.

Try something like this:

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant / Benchmarks

CPU: AMD A10-5800K 3.8GHz Quad-Core Processor ($119.99 @ Newegg)
CPU Cooler: Cooler Master GeminII S524 77.7 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler ($43.99 @ Newegg)
Motherboard: Asus F2A55-M/CSM Micro ATX FM2 Motherboard ($95.98 @ Newegg)
Memory: G.Skill...

g-unit1111

Titan
If you want a set top box look no further than Silverstone - they make great HTPC cases. You definitely want a video card with a native HDMI output (or go with AMD's new Trinity APU). Blu Ray would be good to have on these and you definitely want a wireless keyboard and mouse. TV Tuner is optional but not required.

Try something like this:

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant / Benchmarks

CPU: AMD A10-5800K 3.8GHz Quad-Core Processor ($119.99 @ Newegg)
CPU Cooler: Cooler Master GeminII S524 77.7 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler ($43.99 @ Newegg)
Motherboard: Asus F2A55-M/CSM Micro ATX FM2 Motherboard ($95.98 @ Newegg)
Memory: G.Skill Ares Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory ($37.99 @ Newegg)
Storage: Samsung Spinpoint F3 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($88.98 @ Newegg)
Storage: OCZ Vertex 4 128GB 2.5" Solid State Disk ($139.99 @ Newegg)
Case: Silverstone GD06B HTPC Case ($122.98 @ Newegg)
Power Supply: SeaSonic S12II 620W 80 PLUS Bronze Certified ATX12V / EPS12V Power Supply ($79.99 @ Newegg)
Optical Drive: Lite-On IHBS112-04 Blu-Ray/DVD/CD Writer ($74.98 @ Newegg)
Total: $804.87
(Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available.)
(Generated by PCPartPicker 2012-12-06 14:03 EST-0500)

Solution

Navyjugg

Honorable
Dec 6, 2012
What should I be getting from the TV Tuner side to ensure I have ample room to record a few shows at once and does it matter if I am going off of Comcast or Dish?

g-unit1111

Titan

I wouldn't bother with Dish Network - they've had way too many problems keeping networks (AMC among others), but it doesn't matter what provide you use.

I'm not really sure what to look for in a TV tuner as I've never used one.