ET Problems

Archived from groups: alt.games.wolfenstein (More info?)

I'm having some trouble with ET:

1. The video resolution changes back to the default after I quit the
game and re-open it.
2. No server saves my XP (they save other people's not mine).

Are these problems related? And furthermore, why do I always get a
random ID everytime i connect? It will say "Welcome player #200350501"
and the number will never be the same twice in a row - is this
related?

The video problem can be worked-around, but losing all my XP even on
"XP saving" servers stinks. Is there something wrong with my 'account'
or setup?

Any ideas? Thanks in advance, b.

Nex

Distinguished
Jun 15, 2004

On 26 Sep 2004 22:57:36 -0700, ballz_e@hotmail.com (N.) wrote:

>I'm having some trouble with ET:
>
>1. The video resolution changes back to the default after I quit the
>game and re-open it.
>2. No server saves my XP (they save other people's not mine).
>
>Are these problems related? And furthermore, why do I always get a
>random ID everytime i connect? It will say "Welcome player #200350501"
>and the number will never be the same twice in a row - is this
>related?
>
>The video problem can be worked-around, but losing all my XP even on
>"XP saving" servers stinks. Is there something wrong with my 'account'
>or setup?
>
>Any ideas? Thanks in advance, b.

i found i had to make all my key changes, res changes etc in a single
player game (by starting ET from the icon, not from all-seeing-eye or
gamespy)..

if i made these changes in a multiplayer game they'd be ok as long as
i stayed on that server, but everything - even my nick - would reset
to defaults if i left the game and came back again.

Nex

Archived from groups: alt.games.wolfenstein (More info?)

On 26 Sep 2004 22:57:36 -0700, ballz_e@hotmail.com (N.) wrote:

>I'm having some trouble with ET:
>
>1. The video resolution changes back to the default after I quit the
>game and re-open it.
>2. No server saves my XP (they save other people's not mine).
>
>Are these problems related?

I don't _think_ so. I have had the 1st problem but not the 2nd. The
reason for, and the solution to the 1st problem has just been posted
in this very group. Check it out!

>And furthermore, why do I always get a
>random ID everytime i connect? It will say "Welcome player #200350501"
>and the number will never be the same twice in a row - is this
>related?

I haven't a clue why that is happening to you, but am pretty sure that
is why you don't keep XP on XP saving servers. The server is being
told you are a different player each time you connect.

N. wrote in news:a8c16dd8.0409262157.196325df@posting.google.com:

> I'm having some trouble with ET:
>
> 1. The video resolution changes back to the default after I quit the
> game and re-open it.
> 2. No server saves my XP (they save other people's not mine).
>
> Are these problems related? And furthermore, why do I always get a
> random ID everytime i connect? It will say "Welcome player #200350501"
> and the number will never be the same twice in a row - is this
> related?
>
> The video problem can be worked-around, but losing all my XP even on
> "XP saving" servers stinks. Is there something wrong with my 'account'
> or setup?
>
> Any ideas? Thanks in advance, b.

1. This is a bug in ET, related to Profile.pid files. As mentioned
elsewhere, there are several work-arounds for this. A good one can be found
here: http://www.splashdamage.com/index.php?name=pnPHPbb2&file=viewtopic&t=
3883

2. I've never heard of this problem before. You may need to reinstall.

3. "Welcome player #200350501." This is normal. Every time you connect to ET
it gives you a player number. (Basically just counts the number of players who
have connected.) This is different then your GUID, which is unique and used
by PunkBuster.

Nex

Distinguished
Jun 15, 2004
Archived from groups: alt.games.wolfenstein (More info?)

On 28 Sep 2004 06:12:29 GMT, Mole <moleman1995NO@SPAMhotmail.com>
wrote:

>> Are these problems related? And furthermore, why do I always get a
>> random ID everytime i connect? It will say "Welcome player #200350501"
>> and the number will never be the same twice in a row - is this
>> related?

i always thought that "welcome player" number was incremental..
everytime anyone logs into a server (fresh login.. not xp save) it
just adds another number to the amount of ppl that have ever logged in
to play ET.

thats why it's such a massive number. i dont know this for sure.. just
that my number always seems to be bigger than the last time i played.

Nex

Nex wrote:

>>> Are these problems related? And furthermore, why do I always
>>> get a random ID everytime i connect? It will say "Welcome
>>> player #200350501" and the number will never be the same twice
>>> in a row - is this related?

> i always thought that "welcome player" number was incremental..
> everytime anyone logs into a server (fresh login.. not xp save) it
> just adds another number to the amount of ppl that have ever
> logged in to play ET.
>
> thats why it's such a massive number. i dont know this for sure..
> just that my number always seems to be bigger than the last time
> i played.

It's exactly as you think. But initially it grew from zero to about 100 million, then it got resetted to zero, and now it's well
beyond 100 again, methinks it's around 200. So sum the current 200 with the first 100, and it makes 300M connections from the birth
of ET.

Vilco

Jim

Archived from groups: alt.games.wolfenstein (More info?)

goto www.29id.com