Sign in with
Your question
Solved

>>Urgent help needed!<

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
October 16, 2012 12:55:52 PM

First of all, this computer is a time traveler. It probably goes back to '05.

Specs:
Dell P360.
CPU: Intel Pentium 4, Dual-core and 3.00GHz.
RAM: 2 GB, 3.00 GHz.
Video Card: NVidia Quadro FX 1000[128 MB of GRAM, 300 MHz Core Speed and 600 MHz Memory Speed]

Now, the problem is that every time I overclock my Video Card, even with the slightest value, it will result in a messed up display AND the computer will stop responding.

I'm new to asking help so please tell me if I'm lacking some things.

More about : urgent needed

October 16, 2012 1:01:45 PM

Why would you want to even OC that card?
October 16, 2012 1:01:57 PM

Aside from that, it can easily be OC'd BUT, the problem comes in once you restart.

Edit: My problems are....
1.) Why does my computer not respond even if it's Video Card related?
2.) Why does it only happen after restarting?
Related resources
a b U Graphics card
October 16, 2012 1:08:49 PM

CraftRiot said:
Aside from that, it can easily be OC'd BUT, the problem comes in once you restart.

What PSU do you have? what program are you overclocking with? Is there more than one overclocking program on your computer? Have you overclocked it before? How exactly are you overclocking, specific clock changes and voltages? And what do you mean when you say the problem comes in once you restart, restart what exactly?
October 16, 2012 1:13:06 PM

Ah, thank you for providing me with more questions.

PSU - Meh, It's the default of Dell P360.
Program - NVidia nTune.
No, I don't have more than one overclocking program.
Yes, I overclocked it before, the same results.
Clock Changes - I tried testing it with an increase of 20 MHz, malfunctioned.
Restart - I restart my computer for various reasons.
October 16, 2012 1:30:01 PM

So, I still don't know why it malfunctions if I overclock it with such a low value.
And I also still don't know why it only malfunctions after restart.

Best solution

a b U Graphics card
October 16, 2012 1:40:30 PM

CraftRiot said:
So, I still don't know why it malfunctions if I overclock it with such a low value.
And I also still don't know why it only malfunctions after restart.

Well it could be caused by any number of problems. Take my card for example, the maximum I can overclock on the core clock is only 10mhz, the last card I had could be overclocked by a massive 180mhz with still some headroom on stock voltages. All cards out of the same series of cards overclock differently. Your psu could be the problem, a ready built system probably only has an adequate PSU installed for the components installed, over seven to eight years the PSU's quality will have degraded. It could be nTune causing the problems as it tries to apply the overclock when it starts when windows boots up, try msi afterburner. It's an old card itself and the overclocking capabilities you have read about it are probably from a few years ago, the quality of the GPU will degrade over time.
a b U Graphics card
October 16, 2012 1:42:53 PM

Problem solved.

Don't overclock it. Obviously it can't handle it.

Happy computing.
October 16, 2012 1:45:38 PM

Best answer selected by CraftRiot.
October 16, 2012 1:47:52 PM

@daship, too bad you didn't answer my question about why it malfunctions only after restarting.

@darkoil, so there are cases in which you can only overclock for 10 MHz? :o  Thank you for the help. ^_^
So it's possible that it can't handle an OC of 20 MHz that's why it still breaks, I didn't think of that...
!