Seagate Barracuda 2 TB
Corsair Force 120 GB
ASUS GTX 670
Corsair 850 W
4x8 GB Corsair Vengeance 1600
Cooler Master Storm Trooper
4x120 Fans

These are my questions,
1) Is the motherboard appropriate for the specs?
2) Is ASUS the best choice for the video card or are spmething better?
3) Is the PSU enough and is Corsair the best choice?
4) Considering the relatively low price of RAMs, is 32GB of RAM an overkill?
5) Which one is better for working together with the included fans of corsair H100i, the Corsair AF or SP 120?

I'm not planning on overclocking, but i do want to play high-end games all maxed-out at 1920x1080p and multitask a lot.

Do you guys have any sugestions or advices of what i should or shouldn't with thje specs?

Thank You.

More about : configuration balanced

December 6, 2012 3:54:01 PM

if you arn't overclocking don't get an unlocked CPU (and if this is just for gaming you can get an I5 and save even more money - you don't need the K versions if your are not overclocking.) and a motherboard meant to overclock. And a 850w psu is over kill you would be fine with ~550w, but I would get the Corsair 650w psu.
m
l
December 6, 2012 3:56:08 PM

1. the mobo looks good
2. asus is good, when buying video cards i look at which manufacturer will give me the best bundle meaning some free games
3. corsair is good, you have picked an overkill..you can get away with 650-700w
4. 32gigs is an overkill, with more ram sticks its harder to overclock so i would recommend going with two sticks of 4 gigs for 8 gigs in total or two of 8 gigs for 16
5. with the h100i you will probably have to remove the case fans to mount the radiator to the case

if you do not plan on overclocking you can save money by sticking with a stock heatsink and not going for an K processor which are unlocked for overclocking and they cost more

as for ssd's make sure its sata 6 and you connect it to sata 6 port on the mobo to give you the best speeds
m
l
Related resources
December 6, 2012 4:04:51 PM

Derza10 said:
if you arn't overclocking don't get an unlocked CPU (and if this is just for gaming you can get an I5 and save even more money - you don't need the K versions if your are not overclocking.) and a motherboard meant to overclock. And a 850w psu is over kill you would be fine with ~550w, but I would get the Corsair 650w psu.

Well, if i'm going to build a 2000$ PC, i might as well get the latest and greatest. Then, should i get the i7 3770? is the stock performance any different than the K version?
m
l
December 6, 2012 4:11:05 PM

alvine said:
1. the mobo looks good
2. asus is good, when buying video cards i look at which manufacturer will give me the best bundle meaning some free games
3. corsair is good, you have picked an overkill..you can get away with 650-700w
4. 32gigs is an overkill, with more ram sticks its harder to overclock so i would recommend going with two sticks of 4 gigs for 8 gigs in total or two of 8 gigs for 16
5. with the h100i you will probably have to remove the case fans to mount the radiator to the case

if you do not plan on overclocking you can save money by sticking with a stock heatsink and not going for an K processor which are unlocked for overclocking and they cost more

as for ssd's make sure its sata 6 and you connect it to sata 6 port on the mobo to give you the best speeds

2) I'll look into that
3) Is that so? thank for the tip
4) I just tought more RAM means more investment for the future. When i bought 2x1GB 5 years ago i tought it was going to last. I tought wrong.
5) I'll put the h100i on the bottom and use 2 extra fans to do a push pull with the existing fans from the h100i. Is that possible in a CM Storm Trooper?

Nah, the least i can get is a decent third party air-cooled heatsink.
m
l
December 6, 2012 4:18:23 PM

This topic has been moved from the section CPU & Components to section Systems by Mousemonkey
m
l
December 6, 2012 4:32:01 PM

the k and non k stock performance is the same. k processors are meants for overclocking because they come unlocked so you only change the cpu multi value to oc, with a locked non k processor you have to raise the base system clock meaning you slightly increase the frequency of the processor and the memory but as you keep bumping that base clock your ram will become unstable

i think you should get the k version because it will last you longer. lets say two years later you are playing games and they are running at 55fps and you want that 60 fps for smooth as butta experience and then you can read some overclocking guides and squeeze some extra performance of your current processor without upgrading

ram is computers short term memory. the processor does the calculations, it puts the data on ram for short term fast access when it need to retrieve some information (changing apps, multiple apps running) and your long term data is stored on the hard drive or an ssd so its good to have a lot of ram for all of the applications to run but i have still not maxed out my ram usage and i have 8 gigs...

i have checked that case on newegg and it says "The CM Storm Trooper features two 120mm red LED front fans, one 140mm rear fan and one 200mm top fan, creating heavy duty airflow to cool down even the most extreme gaming system. This chassis also supports liquid cooling. "

i dont see any fans on the bottom of the case, i have an antec 1200 which also has a top mounted 200mm fan..with h100 i have basically zip tied the radiator around the top fan so i have top fan exhausting, radiator, and two 120mm fans intaking air from inside the case
m
l
December 6, 2012 9:16:07 PM

alvine said:
the k and non k stock performance is the same. k processors are meants for overclocking because they come unlocked so you only change the cpu multi value to oc, with a locked non k processor you have to raise the base system clock meaning you slightly increase the frequency of the processor and the memory but as you keep bumping that base clock your ram will become unstable

i think you should get the k version because it will last you longer. lets say two years later you are playing games and they are running at 55fps and you want that 60 fps for smooth as butta experience and then you can read some overclocking guides and squeeze some extra performance of your current processor without upgrading

ram is computers short term memory. the processor does the calculations, it puts the data on ram for short term fast access when it need to retrieve some information (changing apps, multiple apps running) and your long term data is stored on the hard drive or an ssd so its good to have a lot of ram for all of the applications to run but i have still not maxed out my ram usage and i have 8 gigs...

i have checked that case on newegg and it says "The CM Storm Trooper features two 120mm red LED front fans, one 140mm rear fan and one 200mm top fan, creating heavy duty airflow to cool down even the most extreme gaming system. This chassis also supports liquid cooling. "

i dont see any fans on the bottom of the case, i have an antec 1200 which also has a top mounted 200mm fan..with h100 i have basically zip tied the radiator around the top fan so i have top fan exhausting, radiator, and two 120mm fans intaking air from inside the case

Couldn't agree more. Despite the fact that i don't know how to overclock, i'm still considering the possibility to learn it.

Well then maybe I should just put in 2x8 GB and keep the other two just in case my work or my games demands more memory.

I checked the CM Storm Trooper out on the original website, youtube, etc and they say that the bottom 4xSSD cage can be removed, allowing far 2x120 to be installed.

Is using a 200mm exhausting a 240mm radiator possible and effective? Or should i convert the top 200mm to 2x120?
m
l
!