$580 AMD gaming build - please review!

folken330

Honorable
Dec 6, 2012
Hello Everyone,

Based on everyone's advice on the forums here, I've put together the following build:

http://pcpartpicker.com/p/rcNq

Are all of the parts compatible?

I was shooting for a $500 budget, so i'm about $80 over at $580. I know I could save by switching from the FX-6300 to the AMD Phenom II. Is it worth it to pay the extra for the FX-6300?

Also, i want to say that I went with AMD because based on everyone's feedback, AMD seems to give the best performance for a budget build. Do you guys agree?

This computer will be used for gaming and work multitasking such as Microsoft office and web browsing. I tend to have a lot of windows open.

I have the OSX already, along with monitor, mouse, keyboard, etc.

Thank you so much! I really appreciate all the advice everyone takes the time to give on these forums!

loresr97

Honorable
Sep 13, 2012
AMD Phenom II X$ 965 is great for budget builds. You can use that build and remove the CPU Cooler, and buy when you have more money, that will make the build 540$ and your build is great for 540$.

Well, I'd agree that the X4 phenom would be a better choice over the 6 core. Personally I'd spend the extra cash for a piledriver 8 core, but we'll focus on your budget.

If you spent $130 on a CPU, the core i3 would be a better choice. But then you may pay more overall for the platform.

So far what I've seen of the 6 core CPUs is not compelling. So no, it is not worth it to pay more for the 6 core. So yeah, get the X4 955 or 965 and save up for an 8 core beast.

folken330

Honorable
Dec 6, 2012
Hi disolitude, do you mind if i ask why you recommend the upgrade in mobo from what i currently have?? thanks!

folken330

Honorable
Dec 6, 2012
alright, everyone, you've convinced me to look into the X4 965. Also, based on the toms hardware build you're recommending, the intel G850. Would you go with the X4 over the intel chip?

Also, at this level, should i even bother getting a 2gb 7850 GPU, or is 1gb fine? Would there even be any performance increase with 2gb?

Thanks everyone for your replies, this is very helpful!

I doubt you'd see much performance difference with the 1GB unless you were running higher resolutions than 1080p.

The Intel dual core pentiums are actually pretty good performers for gaming. However I can't speak much of overclocking ability.

On the other hand, the AMD quads would be better at multitasking and highly threaded applications. They come with an unlocked multiplier, so if you wished to overclock its very easy to add some speed for free. You could easily hit 3.6Ghz with no additional voltage. A small increase can easily get you to 3.8 usually.

Its 2012, I can't see any reason to run a dual core machine unless its mobile.

Some people will be sure to disagree with me, but I say go ahead and get the X4 955. You can then afford to get a better motherboard with better components. I have yet to have a $50 motherboard last more than 3 years. I've built plenty of machines that utilize inexpensive parts, but if you want something reliable I find it doesn't pay to skimp in this area.

So power supplies and mobos, don't skimp. Get the cheaper 1GB video card.