DVI / HDMI refresh rate differs on identical monitors

yanis31

Distinguished
Jul 4, 2010
Hi,

2 brand new identical 1080p IPS monitors connected to a gigabyte hd6670 card
one through DVI other through HDMI (card has a DVI, a VGA and a HDMI port)
however the hdmi one can't be set to more than 60hz - extended desktop,
while DVI runs just fine on 70hz or 75hz - (not sure which since it's not my pc - my guess is 75)
any ideas?

yanis31

Distinguished
Jul 4, 2010
not sure what a high speed hdmi cable is... im guessing it's meant to be hdmi 1.4 ... i don't know what version is used but now we know where to start...
seems to me hdmi sucks... apart from the smaller plug size i see no benefits of it on a pc... should have left that stuff to TV's

yanis31

Distinguished
Jul 4, 2010
btw small offtopic:
AMD fails me today -
(i'm using a hd6670 on my pc as well - completely seperate case)

first i noticed that HDMI black level setting is disabled on my monitor
and also audio is not being streamed to the monitor, however on both a geforce 9800gt and a gtx560 on the same computer, same DVI to HDMI cable and monitor worked just fine
after unplugging the cable follwing notification appears:

An HDMI-to-DVI display connection has been detected. In order to hear audio on your HDMI - based TV or display, you will need to have a seperate audio connection from your computer sound outputs to your TV or audio equipment.

dingo07

Distinguished

let me get this straight - you were getting Audio through that DVI-HDMI connection to your tv, without any other cables?

----

That's because those cards have procs that are HDCP compliant, and the 6670 might not be

yanis31

Distinguished
Jul 4, 2010

both a hdtv and the samsung BX2231 monitor (it has a audio out plug that's why) you are probably correct about the HDCP