Your question
Closed

GeForce 600 Series compatibility

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
October 16, 2012 4:37:42 PM

Hi there everybody! I have 2 questions about compatibility:

1) I have a GA-m61vme-s2 revision 1 motherboard. As much as I can gather,
Its PCI-Express is 1.1 version.

Now, I'm thinking about purchasing a GPU which happens to be a PCI-EX 3.0.
Maybe the GTX650.

Does anyone here can speak from real world hands on experience about
whether or not it will work?

2) I keep a warm place in my heart for old games from the 90's and early 2000's.

Does anyone here can speak from real world hands on experience on how the 600 series runs these games? Please give examples.

Thank you people!
October 17, 2012 8:25:16 AM

People, what's going on, nobody here has real world, hands on experience about this?

There must be some pc tech here who had a chance to check these things by himself.
Score
a c 147 U Graphics card
a b V Motherboard
October 17, 2012 2:07:49 PM

about PCI-E compatibility the card with PCI-E 3.0 should work with older version of PCI-E such as yours because it has backward compatibility. the only PCI-E standards that have issues with older than PCI-E 2.0 is PCI-E 2.1 which need BIOS update on the mobo so the card can be properly working. about the old game stuff sorry i can't help that. :p 
Score
Related resources
October 17, 2012 2:35:58 PM

renz496 said:
about PCI-E compatibility the card with PCI-E 3.0 should work with older version of PCI-E such as yours because it has backward compatibility.

Have you tried or seen it yourself? Because I used to be a PC tech for many years and I have bad experience with "It should work" and "Yeah it's compatible".
Score

Best solution

a c 147 U Graphics card
a b V Motherboard
October 17, 2012 3:03:20 PM

tried myself not yet. i just know by theory it should work. but so far i haven't seen here at toms people claiming PCI-E gen 3.0 card can't work with older pci-e standards and pci-e 3.0 card has in the market for almost a year. if there are problem like the one happen with PCI-E 2.1 we should be heard about it by now
October 17, 2012 3:20:07 PM

renz496 said:
tried myself not yet. i just know by theory it should work. but so far i haven't seen here at toms people claiming PCI-E gen 3.0 card can't work with older pci-e standards and pci-e 3.0 card has in the market for almost a year. if there are problem like the one happen with PCI-E 2.1 we should be heard about it by now

Alright, sounds plausible enough.

Now, for the games, the reason I asked is because of my experience with GT525 and Radeon HD4350.

The 4350 couldn't run some old games that I play from time to time (Doom2, Driver3 - under XP32),
And the GT525 had no problems with these games, even in a system of Win7-64bit with i7.

I'm aware of services like gog.com, but it's nicer when things just work out of the box.
Score
a c 147 U Graphics card
a b V Motherboard
October 17, 2012 3:27:29 PM

that is some very old game there :)  . i think you will have to ask with people who actual own and play the game with more recent card. the oldest game in my collection is the original star craft but i never tried the game with my 460 yet
Score
October 17, 2012 3:32:32 PM

renz496 said:
that is some very old game there :)  . i think you will have to ask with people who actual own and play the game with more recent card. the oldest game in my collection is the original star craft but i never tried the game with my 460 yet

Thanks dude. I didn't mean to ask you specifically about the games, because you already wrote that you have no idea.
I just forgot to divide the massage.

But now that you mentioned the starcraft thing, It would be nice to know how the gizzer runs on a 460.

Thanks anyway.
Score
a c 147 U Graphics card
a b V Motherboard
October 17, 2012 4:06:20 PM

install the game just fine though it is know the game has a bit of bug with win 7 from what i can gather from looking around the internet. there are mess ups with colors during the splash and when navigating the menu, options and the like (known problem with win 7) but fortunately there are nothing wrong with the graphic when you actually play the game. i haven't really play it yet but right now it seem my 460 work just fine with the game
Score
October 17, 2012 4:15:13 PM

renz496 said:
install the game just fine though it is know the game has a bit of bug with win 7 from what i can gather from looking around the internet. there are mess ups with colors during the splash and when navigating the menu, options and the like (known problem with win 7) but fortunately there are nothing wrong with the graphic when you actually play the game. i haven't really play it yet but right now it seem my 460 work just fine with the game

Thanks a bunch dude! People like you give the forum system the good reputation.
Everybody else, watch this guy and learn!
Score
October 17, 2012 4:15:27 PM

Best answer selected by nadfar.
Score
a c 147 U Graphics card
a b V Motherboard
October 17, 2012 4:28:41 PM

you're welcome :) 
Score
January 25, 2013 6:02:24 AM

nadfar said:
Alright, sounds plausible enough.

Now, for the games, the reason I asked is because of my experience with GT525 and Radeon HD4350.

The 4350 couldn't run some old games that I play from time to time (Doom2, Driver3 - under XP32),
And the GT525 had no problems with these games, even in a system of Win7-64bit with i7.

I'm aware of services like gog.com, but it's nicer when things just work out of the box.

Hi nadfar,
I have the same GA-M61VME-S2 motherboard and Im also thinkin abou t buying the NVIDIA GT650 graphics card, Did you end up buying and installing it? What was the result?
I've had issues with some ATI cards not working at all on the mobo (ATI 4770 specifically) but it still boots up and runs fine with a borrowed GT560. I just want to make sure it is compatable with the PCIe3.0 spec
Score
!