cabaton

Honorable
Dec 6, 2012
Hello, I am planing to pretty much get a new system soon (probably everything besides the case and the fans). I was hoping you guys could tell me if everything in my list sounds okay for a decent gaming computer and if it all works together well.

Here goes:
CPU: i5 3570K (will overclock)
GPU: EVGA GeForce 650 GTX Ti (should I get 1 or 2gb, I am only using one screen at 1920 or less resolution) (also, should I overclock my GPU?)
RAM: G.SKILL Trident X Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) (is this enough RAM)
Motherboard: MSI Z77A-G45 LGA 1155 Intel Z77
HDD (may also get SSD): Seagate Barracuda ST1000DM003 1TB
OS: Windows 8 (just because it costs less, or should I pay more for 7)
Power Supply: Rosewill CAPSTONE Series CAPSTONE-750 (is this enough power even if I wanted to get an additional 650 GTX later?)
Case: Thermaltake Tsunami VA3000BWA Black Aluminum ATX Mid Tower Computer Case (this is my old computer's case)
Fans: Not sure what I have, but I assume I'll need 120mm
CPU Fan: ARCTIC Alpine 11 Pro Rev 2 CPU Cooler for Intel

Costs right now are around $820 and I would say $900 is my limit if I am missing anything necessary.

Solution
The GTX650Ti is a terrible card to be honest. It is outpased by much better but only modestly more cards like the Radeon HD6950.

The memory on the card depends on the resolution of your monitor.

I would go with the ASRock over the MSI you chose. You would only really need 500W for this rig, so something like the XFX 550W should work just fine.

camohanna

Distinguished
Nononon, dont get win8 its built for tablets and desktop view is crippled. Get a reliable PSU such as from Seasonic. 650W or 700Wshould be enough..
You need an aftermarket cooler if your gonna overclock. A better gpu such as Sapphire Vapor-X would make for faster gaming, as its superior cooling allows it to be overclocked to the same as a 7970 easily. Maybe an extreme4 motherboard?

cabaton

Honorable
Dec 6, 2012
Okay I'll invest in Windows 7 probably, I wasn't sure about that as I haven't tried out 8 yet. Is 8 any different for gaming or is the user interface just screwed up?

I had forgot to put the cooler in there that I was looking at. Edited.

I haven't looked a whole lot at Radeon cards...which model would you suggest? The 7850? Is it that much better than the 650 GTX that its worth the extra $50 or so? Also, should I get 2GB or 1GB?

Why would u choose the a motherboard like http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813157293 over the MSI? Forgive me for being ignorant here.

The GTX650Ti is a terrible card to be honest. It is outpased by much better but only modestly more cards like the Radeon HD6950.

The memory on the card depends on the resolution of your monitor.

I would go with the ASRock over the MSI you chose. You would only really need 500W for this rig, so something like the XFX 550W should work just fine.

Solution

chairsgotoschool

Honorable
Oct 6, 2012
windows 8 is not built for tablets there are 2 different ones mobile and then the pc version but i would stick with 7 anyway, i had the consumer preview and games just ran a little slow always around 30 fps went back to 7 and its fine but its not a tablet os

Potential

Honorable
Dec 6, 2012
Yeah I'd also choose Windows 7 over Windows 8 just because of all the bad reviews I've been hearing about it. Also Windows 8 is fairly new so there is a lot of glitches etc for it. I'm building a computer of my own and I chose Windows 7 Home Premium over Windows 8.

cabaton

Honorable
Dec 6, 2012
Thanks for replying. I think I will change cards now after hearing what you guys had to say and looking at some charts. Would the Sapphire 7850 1GB be a good option if overclocked?

Also, I would only need 550W-600W for this setup even if i got two GPUs?

I am truly new to doing this, and please don't mind my stupidity, but why is the ASRock any better than the MSI?
http://motherboard.findthebest.com/compare/599-611/ASRock-Z77-Extreme4-vs-MSI-Z77A-G45

chairsgotoschool

Honorable
Oct 6, 2012

it could be i just know for me 7 runs better but my pc isnt perfect so 8 could be fine. but going by that its new means small company software wont work or work as good and it has bugs plus every other microsoft OS is good going by the main ones 98 2000/NT xp and 7 haha then the bad ones 95 ME vista and maybe 8 if the pattern keeps up