Wireless card for gaming desktop a floor above router

Alexr2

Distinguished
Dec 20, 2011
I'm building a gaming desktop but because of the modem being down stairs while the room I'm going to be keeping the desktop in will be up stairs, I'm going to have to buy a wireless card.

Now this is where it gets tricky. Because the router is a floor above the desktop the wireless card will have to have a pretty good range, the problem is the router is a wireless G type so the range will be limited. And on top of that because the desktop will be used for gaming, the card will have to have a pretty solid connection.

I've been looking around and wanted to get some peoples opinions on what card they think would work. I'm hoping to keep the price down as much as possible. I'm looking at the TP-Link TL-WN951N card right now but the reviews are pretty mixed, and I'm not sure whether the range will reach.

Links to product: www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16833704031 / www.pricespy.co.nz/product.php?e=304225

I thought at that price I might as well future proof for if I get a better connection, but because of my location (New Zealand) I doubt our connections will get good enough to use Wireless N technology any time soon.

Welcome to Tom's Hardware Forums!

I had a similar setup running for a year. The router was a Linksys WRT54G and the PCI card was Linksys WMP600N. Games like COD, Black Ops, Flight Simulator ran fine.

Since then, we upgraded the router to a Linksys E1000 (N router) and things are still fine.

My suggestion: get the Linksys WMP600N - http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16833124342 (For reference; I know that you are in NZ)

Solution

Alexr2

Distinguished
Dec 20, 2011

Thanks for the reply, I was looking at that card earlier today but sadly I can't find a store in New Zealand selling it :(

That card is very reliable! I have one running well for two years, and two others running well for 18 months (3 cards in 3 desktops total).

Try harder and see whether you can get it from Australia, or from some other source. The card is definitely a winner! Good luck!