Sign in with
Your question

Video Card Recommendation for 2 Displays on DisplayPort

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
October 16, 2012 5:29:15 PM

Hello,

I have 2 Dell Ultrasharp U2412M displays, which each have a displayport connector. My PC is 20 feet away from these displays. I want to run 1 (if I can find a MST hub) or 2 displayport wires to these 2 monitors.

I do not play video games, but I watch and edit HD videos. What AMD Radeon card should I get? I guess I need one with a single displayport output and a MST-hub OR a card with 2 displayport outputs. I would like to stick wholly with displayport (e.g. not use one displayport output and one HDMI output with a converter), if possible.

Thank you for your help!
a b U Graphics card
October 16, 2012 5:49:41 PM

Most AMD cards have two mini display port connectors. On Newegg, you can sort the video cards available outputs. Newegg shows 83 different Radeon cards in the 7000 series that have 2 mini-display port outs.

The real question is what model card you want or how much you want to spend on a card.
m
l
October 16, 2012 7:39:55 PM

Thank you jsrudd.

I get all of my gear at Newegg. I tried what you said with the filters.

So, the requirements are:
- 2 mini displayport connectors OR 1 displayport connector + MST hub
- I don't play games
- I do HD video conversion and editing
- I'd like to spend under $250 and I don't want to buy much more video card that I need for my purposes (of course a healthy degree of "over built" is OK.

More precise questions:

1.] Is anyone having luck with a Radeon 7000 series card that has one displayport out and a MST-hub for driving > 1 display using Multi-Stream Transport? If so, can you recommend a Radeon 7000 series card and a MST-hub?

2.] If I go the route of using a card with 2 mini-displayport connectors instead of 1, which specific 7000 card would you recommend given my inputs above?

Thank you for your valuable input. I find it difficult to figure out which card meets my needs. . .many of the 7000 series cards seem like they would be extreme overkill for my needs.

m
l
Related resources
a b U Graphics card
October 16, 2012 7:49:39 PM

Good luck finding an MST hub. They've been promised almost 3 years ago now and still none on the market.
m
l
October 19, 2012 11:23:21 AM

Supermuncher85 said:
Good luck finding an MST hub. They've been promised almost 3 years ago now and still none on the market.

Thanks. Guess I'll give up on the MST hub idea, how about ifI go the route of using a card with 2 mini-displayport connectors instead of 1, which specific 7000 card would you recommend given my inputs above?
m
l
October 19, 2012 6:44:59 PM

Thank you! Looks like a good fit!
m
l
!