Splash-screen hang long boot time with GTX 680.

Kura

Honorable
Oct 16, 2012
CPU: I5 3570k @ 3.4Ghz
MoBo: Gigabyte Z77-DS3H
GPU: MSI Gtx 680 Twin Frozr 4Gb
PSU: 850w

Basically when I connect my GTX 680 it stays on the Splash-screen for 2 minutes or more before booting into Windows, I can't access the Bios or boot menu etc, the keyboard does respond though, caps locks etc come on or off when I press them, and after trying to access the Bios the system will boot to a black screen and crash, with no blue screen error. It boots to Windows if I don't try to enter the Bios.

With onboard and my old Radeon HD 6850, everything works fine the boot time is quick and no problems, can access Bios etc.

I have reformated/driver sweeped the old display drivers but the problem still persists. I do however have quite an old HD 500gb Hitachi which I've had for about 4 years. I'm wondering because the GTX 680 is significantly more powerful than my Radeon Hd 6850 it takes my HD longer to boot? But it still doesn't explain the strange Bios issue.

Any suggestions?

Thanks.

Have you tried to boot in safe mode? It sounds like a driver conflict to me, but you have already done what I would suggest in that case. The power usage of the graphics card should not affect your boot time, that is unless you have an underpowered power supply or one that is not up to snuff. 850w is plenty. What brand is it? Are you sure all of the connectors are correctly installed and its firmly in its slot?

Kura

Honorable
Oct 16, 2012
I can't boot into safe mode or access the boot menu/bios etc or any of the options on the Splash-screen, doing so causes a boot to black screen/crash.

PSU is an Alpha@power 850w if you know anything about that make.

All connectors are connected properly, the issue only arises with the GTX 680 no problems with onboard or my Radeon HD 6850.

Oscar Rodriguez

Honorable
Apr 18, 2013
Hi

I had the same problem, I solved it, I disabled the on board graphic video card and I put as the first display the PCIe 1, I hope this help, here is my configuration:

-Corei5 3570k OC 4.2Ghz
-Cooler Master V6GT
-Gigabyte G1.Sniper 3
-Ram Kingston HyperX Blu 16GB 1600Mhz
-HD SSD Samsung 840 250gb
-HD Seagate Barracuda 2TB 64MB Cache
-LG Bluray Burner BR/DVD/CD
-PSU Cooler Master 850w 66A Silent Pro Modular
-Video Card Gigabyte GTX 680 OC 4GB
-Case Cooler Master 690 II Advance