Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

Installing graphic card with limited Power Supply (275W)

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
Share
October 16, 2012 6:15:26 PM

Hi there, a noob here.

My power supply is 275W, reading of forums I get different opinions/experiences. Some claim even 250W is enough for this card, others say you"ll need at least 350W.

Anyone here that installed this card (radeon 6450) with less than 300W of power supply? I'm willing to take the gamble though, it's a low end card and it's priced around 40 Euros.

PS

Will my system crash or face any difficulties in case of power supply issues?
October 16, 2012 6:22:01 PM

discordia23 said:

Will my system crash or face any difficulties in case of power supply issues?

yes
it may cause damaging yor system and vga card
October 16, 2012 6:28:34 PM

I have done a 6570 with a 250 watt slim dell before so I think 6450 in your pc is fine since 6450 uses less power than a 6570.

Just one note though, 6450 is a horrible graphics card in terms of performance. It has less performance than the HD 4000 for instance which is an integrated card...so depending on the processor, you might not even see any benefits with a 6450.
Related resources
October 16, 2012 6:43:17 PM

profkefah said:
yes
it may cause damaging yor system and vga card


That's what I'm worrying about a bit.
And since I have a small form factor Dell, suitable power supplies are hard to come by.

I've google around and the seasonic ss 300ftx 300W seems to be the only choice I have.

Which in the end is fine I guess, a new power supply plus a low end video card would cost me around 120 dollars.

Thanks.
October 16, 2012 6:47:30 PM

yialanliu said:
I have done a 6570 with a 250 watt slim dell before so I think 6450 in your pc is fine since 6450 uses less power than a 6570.

Just one note though, 6450 is a horrible graphics card in terms of performance. It has less performance than the HD 4000 for instance which is an integrated card...so depending on the processor, you might not even see any benefits with a 6450.


Thanks for answering.
I've read multiple people saying they didn't had any problems after installing a video card even though they're power supply wasn't sufficient.

So I'm still doubting whether to upgrade my PSU or to just go ahead and install the card anyway.
It's a pretty old compter, I belive from 2008 so I'll have to buy a new one in the near future. So I dont wanna spend too much on the old thing.

And no, I'm not playing any video games or editing videos or anything. I just browse the internet, edit some text and I check out some Yotube videos. Nothing really that needs a powerful graphic card. But anything is better than NO video card at all, I'm now dealing with onboard graphics so I'd won't mind upgrading.
!